Blu-ray Shopping Survey - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: How do your monthly 2010 Blu-ray shopping habits compare to those in 2009?
I'm buying more Blu-rays each month. 21 26.92%
I'm buying less Blu-rays each month. 28 35.90%
I'm buying about the same number of Blu-rays each month. 29 37.18%
I no longer buy Blu-rays. 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Amazon is God.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Former Member

Ebay is about 5% of my buying
WM about 15 to 20%
Target less than 5%
Best Buy about 20% (only sales, no full price)
the rest, Amazon.

i buy more than ever, but this year i had a (one month) moratorium on buying when i was saving for my 3d set up. now that i have it, i'm using ebay a little more, due to exclusive discs. just paid 140 for How to Train Your Dragon 3d. scary thing is, that's 50 to 80 sub market right now.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM

I probably pick up about 4-5 titles every month on average. I used to buy everything on release day, but now I try to wait it out until I see a good price. Instant gratification is a pricey practice! Often if you wait a couple weeks, you can scoop up new titles on the HDD forums for a good price

I estimate my main BD sources to be:

Amazon, Best Buy, Future Shop, and the HDD Forum

BTW, Cheez is killing it with his Guzman money! He has the newest stuff shipping to him every week from all over the world. Anxiously waiting for him to post pics of his entire collection in the "pics of your bd collection" thread!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM

I'm at the very beginning of slowing down my Blu-Ray buying habits. I used to buy between 5 and 10 new releases each week, but the size of my collection is starting to get a little too big for my tastes. I'm currently around 350-400 Blu-Rays (I haven't counted in a while). So, right now I'm buying between 2-4 Blu-Rays a week.

I purchase my Blu-Rays from:

Amazon.com - 90% - It is very rare that Amazon doesn't beat (or at least match) the pricing of brick and mortar stores. I'm also a member of Amazon Prime, so the free 2 Day shipping and NO TAX makes Amazon.com the best source for all of my shopping habits.

High-Def Digest Forums - 5% - I scour the trade forums, looking for deals, and I buy a few here and there. I mostly trade and sell my movies in the forum though.

Best Buy - 2% - Best Buy sucks ass plain, and simple. There prices are usually ridiculously high, and the tax added onto that sucks. I especially stopped buying movies there when they stopped price matching Amazon. What's the point of shopping at Best Buy, if they charge more than Amazon + they tack on almost 10% Tax in SoCal. The only time I buy from Best Buy, is if they have a timed exclusive or a really good sale every once in a blue moon.

Deep Discount.com - .05% - I buy here when the have one of those BOGO sales.

Wal-Mart - .05% - I only buy from here when they get the Lionsgate titles for $10 each.

Barnes and Nobel - .05% - I only buy from here when they have the crazy Criterion sales. Otherwise, their prices are astronomically high.

Target - .05% - Target could easily beat out Wal-Mart...but it seems like they don't even try to have the selection/cheap prices that Wal-Mart does. Wal-Mart whoops Target's ass, movie wise, simply due to the mainstream public's fascination with their $5 DVD bin. It seems like Target just throws in the towel when it comes to movies. I only go here, if they have an exclusive, stripped down version, of a big box movie (i.e. Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind)

DVD Planet Store - .05% - DVD Planet has a nice store near my house. They have a good selection, and I would shop there more, but they can't even compete with Best Buy's prices half the time They're a good store, for their once a year 50% off sale.

GoHastings.com - .05% - I order from here, whenever they have a BOGO sale on used movies.

So yeah, mostly its Amazon.com and these forums for my Blu-Ray purchasing....and everything else is a distant second.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

I order most of mine through my store (Val's Halla Records) for obvious reasons, discount, often receive titles before release, and most importantly ability to turn my dvd collection into store credit to pay for them. Occasionally I buy from amazon, mostly gold box deals.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM

My purchasing habits have changed significantly since DVD (and HD-DVD), I don't blind buy Blu and will only buy movies I know I like which have significant rewatch value.

Rentals/streaming is my biggest source of movies now.

When I do buy, it based purely on price (usually a discounted price I won't pay more than $15 for any Blu movie and $35 for TV series). Normal places (No particular order): Amazon, Target, Walmart, Fry's, Best Buy
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM

It's hard to measure on a month-to-month scale; living in Canada, I usually take advantage of the best American sales, whenever they happen to fall. At the end, when the dust settles, I suspect my average usually remains the same and voted accordingly.

As for the shops I frequent, I live in one of the 'have not' provinces so I typically stick to online deals. Here are the places, loosely ranked in order of frequency:

1a) Amazon.com
1b) Deep Discount
2) Amazon.ca
3) Future Shop/Best Buy
4) Other

I keep an Excel file, updated daily with listings, of all the movies on my list: it's colour coded, excessively tagged and meticulously sorted. Once a month, I'll update all of the prices -- this is a grueling task, typically lasting a few hours due to the number of both titles and shops. If something falls within my pre-defined range, and can be grouped for free (or worthwhile) shipping, I will make an order.

I share these details to lend insight to my answer: it's too difficult to gauge a minor variance here or there so, in all likelihood, things balance when it's all said and done.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM

I'm buying less and renting more, i love the film classics and older titles more than some of the newer stuff and unfortunately there are times when i am not happy about the effort that goes into the older titles, the much older classics usually get some loving attention but the older titles from the eighties/nineties don't always get treated as well as they could or sometimes the studio is still using older masters with baked in issues.

The other thing is that frankly after buying VHS and DVD many times over i have wised up a little and now tend to wait before buying some titles, many films i have seen and would rather just rent out so i am getting more fussy about a number of things as i get older.

If i can give an example or a few examples, take a film like Total Recall or Terminator 2, i'd buy both in a heartbeat if the releasing company would go back to the negatives and make a new 4K scan of each and release them on blu ray WITHOUT adding in any artificial sharpening or changes to the original look but they dont, instead they keep re-visiting them and releasing them but not in my opinion doing enough to justify a purchase, i say that as someone who has seen them many times but i am holding out on a future release which does them both real justice.

Now take the above comment and say it three dozen more times for various releases.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Blurays is all I buy, from Amazon when they come down in price or pre-order as they are announced for must haves!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM

about the same as last year. However i do wait longer for new releases now unless they are MUST HAVES...I keep track of prices on another site (sry guys)...once they drop into the $10-$20 range i usually bite...

Amazon almost 100% of my purchases...except for a few exclusives bought in store here and there... I rarely see blu's for the same price in brick/mortar stores...and with prime/no tax ya cant beat amazon. Most of the new releases i pre-order when they show up in my goldbox (5% off) and wait to see if the prices drops up until a few days before release date...if its more than $20 i usually cancel.