Bill Hunt: Lord of the Rings BR; Theatrical Only, Extended to Follow. - Page 19 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM

well I can only go on what Warner has stated.
they obviously have sought Jackson's involvement, and this is what he is said to have wanted.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 AM

I will not buy the standard editions. Count me out until the EE arrive.

Also concerned about New line's non-existence. New Line had some fantastic blu-ray releases. They also used DTS-HD MA which I prefer. Shit we might have even gotten it in 7.1

Warner is going to give these releases plenty of DNR, a low bit rate and TrueHD 5.1.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post

Also concerned about New line's non-existence. New Line had some fantastic blu-ray releases. They also used DTS-HD MA which I prefer. Shit we might have even gotten it in 7.1

Warner is going to give these releases plenty of DNR, a low bit rate and TrueHD 5.1.
Every New Line was slathered with DNR. Every single one. And NLs DNR application was far more offesive than (nearly) anything Warner has ever put out.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Every New Line was slathered with DNR. Every single one. And NLs DNR application was far more offesive than (nearly) anything Warner has ever put out.
For Shoot Em up

Quote:
Film purists will be happy to see that New Line didn't use DNR with this transfer
But yeah, Pan's Labyrinth did have it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post

Unfortunatly this is true. Lets hope there is a voice of reason over there somewhere and this doesnt happen. While I MUCH prefer DTS MA I dont mind 5.1 over 7.1. I also could live with TrueHD but the bit rates better be good and have as little DNR as possible to keep all of the CGI blended etc.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Oh, yes, Shoot 'em Up.... forgot about that one.

Still, definitely the exception, not the rule.

Of the films released by New Line themselves:

Dark City
Golden Compass
Semi Pro
Pans Labyrinth
Hairspray
Rush Hour 3
Harold & Kumar
Harold & Kumar: Gitmo
Mr. Woodcock

All suffer from DNR. That's 9 of the 13 titles they put out.

Now, don't get me wrong.... I like 7.1 audio, high bitrate VC-1 and feature packed 2 disc sets as much as the next guy..... I just think the one thing that New Line did wrong was noise reducing their titles. The New Line discs released after their absorption haven't been great either but, both the good and bad can still be attributed to NL for the most part. Recent DNR victims Wedding Crashers, Elf and Austin Powers: Goldmember are without a doubt a hold over from before the absorption.

Again, New Line did a lot of things right but the one thing they are guilty of, more so than Warner, is DNR.