'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmExile View Post
If he isn't even in the same ballpark as every other major film critic in the world....he just shouldn't be doing it.

I also don't believe these types of sites should be dealing with reviewing films anyway. They should stick to reviewing audio and video only...that is all they are good for.
Don't the people who write these comments over and over know what film criticism is? Dude, the job of a movie reviewer is not to have opinions you agree with all the time (especially if, as I suspect is the case here, they've seen the movie and you haven't). It's certainly not to throw in with the majority no matter what they actually think. Their job is to report their own genuine reaction, whatever it may be, and as long as they're articulate about it and were paying attention to the movie, they're doing a good job.

And there's an easy fix if you want technical comments only...JUST READ THOSE SECTIONS. They're split up with headers and everything; there's nothing stopping you from skipping directly to them.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM

Default This Movie Got Reviewed?

Why was this movie even reviewed? This should have been reviewed after every blu-ray available domestically and internationally. If there could possibly be a more assinine looking movie out there, I don't know, except maybe Space Chimps, which was also reviewed on this site. It took them six months to review Forgetting Sarah Marshall but this tub of shit got reviewed immediately. The only reason it got 2.5 stars for the film is that Peter had such incredibly lowered expectations it didn't seem so bad. I'd love to see a list of the movies he's given a lower rating to, because there is absolutely no way they could be worse than a movie of talking Paris Hilton dogs. She shouldn't even be allowed to speak, let alone some fucking dog!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I really feel for you. It is so tragic that someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read Peter's reviews.
I liked the part about "these types of sites". Now I feel soiled for spending time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
As for the movie: I love dogs, but this.... no, I don't think so.
Yeah, I think I'll give it a miss as well, sounds like typical Disney schmutlz. Interesting Peter's comment about his dog being "transfixed" during the movie. My dog, Niņa, is a high-def snob. She never pays attention to anything in standard def on TV. But anything in high-def with dogs or cats - she runs to the TV screen to try to chase the cat or challenge the dog. But the bears in Arctic Tales scared her - she curled up & whined.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Every freaking review is the same.....waaaah,peter liked it and i hated it...waah...waah....peter hated it and i think it rocks....waah....waah....
Seriously...this man is right.

I like reading reader comments on reviews and anytime Peter reviews something its the same BS, let the guy be a critic.

As far as the movie is concerned I wouldn't watch a movie about a talking chihuhua to save my life.

Also dont hate on H.D.D. because they review movies you think are crappy. It's a critic jobs to subjectively judge a picture and explain their reasoning clearly and concisely. If it were not for critics you'd be buying movies based on their title, cover, and advertisements.There not selective about what they review they review what they can get a hold off. If your waiting for a review for a movie thats already out kindly request a review and I'm sure they would try.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Wow...

Wow, I can't believe this was reviewed before so many other movies on Blu. This review even being done is a joke. I'm not saying someone can't enjoy this movie, to each his/her own, but for most of us on here there are other movies, no films, that should be reviewed before this is even considered. Oh and this review was suspect at best with what was given. Someone needs to be supervised & schooled. Granted in somewhat of a defense, David did review High School Musical 3 or crying out loud.

Last edited by Johnny Neat; 02-25-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM

The review of A Time To Kill is a perfect example of why Peter should not be reviewing films.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
Wow you guys are on a roll. Four reviews a day. Holy Moly!
But I think I'll be skipping this one.
Too bad most of the recent reviews are of shit no one wants to see.

Sideways gets a "rental" recommendation but W. gets "worth a look" which as this site goes is a better rating. Even thought W. has a damn 59% on Rotten Tomatoes and Sideways has over a 90.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Blu-News Review
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Neat View Post
Wow, I can't believe this was reviewed before so many other movies on Blu. This review even being done is a joke. I'm not saying someone can't enjoy this movie, to each his/her own, but for most of us on here there are other movies, no films, that should be reviewed before this is even considered.
Why? Because you personally don't care for it? Do you have any idea how many tens of thousands of people read our reviews but don't post in these forums?

Do you have kids? Many of our readers do, and are interested to know whether movies like this are worthwhile to buy for their kids.

This movie isn't your cup of tea. Good for you, but don't presume that you speak for all of the site's readers. You absolutely do not.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-25-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Sorry, Josh, but I have to agree with the critics here who question the priorities of this web site with respect to the choice of disks that get reviewed. I share the frustration of many others who use this site to decide whether to buy a newly released title (for example, the just-released film classic, The French Connection), but can't find a timely review here, instead finding worthless pieces of crap like Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

To say that because "we don't have kids" is justification is utterly ridiculous. If I did have kids, I wouldn't be basing a decision on the disk's video and audio qualities; honestly, kids couldn't care less about that. This site should be for adults who have an interest in Blu-ray technology, and who have certain standards with respect to both the technical aspects of the products, as well as an appreciation of the aesthetic aspects of the films themselves. It seems you guys all too often neglect the latter.