'Being There' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
Is this normal for Warner? Because either my memory is horribly slipshod or I've never had a problem bringing up the menu while the the movie is paused. Or maybe I'm just confusing it with WB's HD DVD releases.
It's not every disc, but is quite common for Warner's Blu-rays. The HD DVD releases may be confusing you. HDi did not have this limitation. You could bring up the menu at any time on any HD DVD.

Quote:
I have to admit I'm curious to see what Warner's Blu-ray promo looks like. After a year or two where they hyped HD DVD on every disc but didn't do squat for Blu-ray that I ever saw, I'm wondering how much of it is just copied over.
It's an all-new promo.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Josh has reviewed 'Being There.' He says the movie is considered a classic, but it doesn't do much for him. This Blu-ray doesn't hit it out of the park. Video and audio are so-so. Bonus features are slight. Worth a look, but not an automatic purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1859/beingthere.html
Then why is this close minded person get to review this movie? I'm totally insulted when a good movie is review by a guy who doesn't like it.

Your little nip picking is such a joke. If you don't understand what a "suspension of disbelief" is. You just missing out on some good to great movies out there.

I don't even think you know how to review or rate a movie. Seem to me you're giving the majority of your movies 3 1/2 just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM

I liked Being There, it's a subtle film with a slightly off comedy tone to it. I think I appreciated it more on the second viewing with all the missed symbolism and themes. I will say it was during a film course when I saw it the second time, and the instructor and us students discussed it afterwards, which helped me see all those missing things. I don't think I would buy it unless it was priced right, but I will rent it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIA911 View Post
Then why is this close minded person get to review this movie? I'm totally insulted when a good movie is review by a guy who doesn't like it.
Heaven forbid anyone has a different opinion than you do.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 AM

I have bought this yesterday on Amazon for under $20. Can't wait because I loved the movie from sd dvd days. This and Amadeus, I'm excited. Thanks for reviewing it.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Love the film. The funniest film about TV and our culture. Period.

The Blu-ray has lots of detail and is definitely nicer than an SD presentation, but the DNR is a drag, and the black levels/contrast are abysmal. In the low light scenes, the screen fades to murky gray.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM

^ I think I like "Network" as a funnier film about television and our culture but this one is funny in a very different and subtle way.