Which BDs of yours were you SO disappointed with that you sold them? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM

None...I don't blind buy. PQ doesn't affect me too much. It almost always looks better than an upconverted SD.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM

I don't blind buy, but would have returned Die Hard 4 for being rubbish!

300 looks great on my pj btw. The grain is sorted with a little adjustment and there's no pulsing - it's stunning to look at.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:12 PM

xxx
crash

both pq painful to watch...now i pretty much buy only 4+ pq movies....unless its a favorite movie that i dont have on dvd..or the pq was what the movie was suppose to look like......like ocean 13
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

I notice that my BLU-RAY discs have pretty much NO EXTRA's: There's the MENU, the MOVIE and a TRAILER.. and that's it!

My HD-DVD's have all the extra's that the SPECIAL or LIMITED EDITION standard DVD's had!! Only now in HD and with cool pop-up style access..

We all lost when HD-DVD lost

Psickmusic
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM

psickmusic take that garbage to the smackdown.

The only one I have regreted so far has been the Spiderman boxset. I can almost guarantee that the first and second movies will come out with far better transfers than what was offered in the boxset. (specially the first Spiderman) and Spiderman 3 is soo brutal I acctually felt bad for having layed down the cash...however when I tried to sell it localy (Calgary, Canada) I was getting crap prices for it so I juts kept the damn thing. but the intent was there!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Bram Stoker's Dracula. I was really excited about this release, but after I saw the new transfer, I sold the BD and re-acquired the Superbit DVD.

Superbad. I just didn't see myself wanting to watch it again. Same goes for Live Free or Die Hard.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psickmusic View Post
I notice that my BLU-RAY discs have pretty much NO EXTRA's: There's the MENU, the MOVIE and a TRAILER.. and that's it!

My HD-DVD's have all the extra's that the SPECIAL or LIMITED EDITION standard DVD's had!! Only now in HD and with cool pop-up style access..

We all lost when HD-DVD lost

Psickmusic
First of all, that complaint is a studio issue, not a Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD issue. Second of all, there are plenty of HD-DVDs lacking in the special features department. Third, we're not in the Smackdown Forum so get your whiny bullshit out of here. It's buyer responsibility to check out what's on a disc before buying. No one twists your arm to upgrade over you SD. I own plenty of loaded Blu-ray discs and have stayed away from disappointing ones even if I really like the film (case in point: Robocop). BD has a far greater storage capacity than HD-DVD, making it more future-proof than HD-DVD when the studios decide to start loading all Blu-ray discs.

Last edited by dmarvin; 03-07-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Stargate - One of my favorite movies, the BD was barely an improvement over SD DVD, IMO - and my copy had the issue of no subtitles when the spoke ancient Egyptian.

Sunshine - dumb ending, and my copy had playback issues on my BD-30.

POTC: AWE - I got it at a great price, but still should have known better - I didn't like the first two, but I never made it past halfway on this one after 3 tries.

Running with Scissors - Again, tempted by a great price and I like movies about "dysfunctional families" (American Beauty comes to mind) but, jeez, those people weren't dysfunctional - they belong in an insane asylum.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
First of all, that complaint is a studio issue, not a Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD issue. Second of all, there are plenty of HD-DVDs lacking in the special features department. Third, we're not in the Smackdown Forum so get your whiny bullshit out of here. It's buyer responsibility to check out what's on a disc before buying. No one twists your arm to upgrade over you SD. I own plenty of loaded Blu-ray discs and have stayed away from disappointing ones even if I really like the film (case in point: Robocop). BD has a far greater storage capacity than HD-DVD, making it more future-proof than HD-DVD when the studios decide to start loading all Blu-ray discs.
True- good points. Oh no, its not a complaint, its just that now I bet we're going to get DOUBLE DIPS of the same title.. almost as if the studios are exploiting the fact that they released "so-and-so" on Blu-Ray knowingly with less special features, know what I mean? Now, I'm not too big of a fan of extra's, but, if a studio puts out a double dip on BluRay of Rocky Balboa or Rocky 1, is the transfer going to be better, too? So, then of course I'd want to buy the new one..

Of course no one twisted my arm to get a title on BluRay that I already had on SD, but, why wouldnt I buy a title on BluRay if I like it? Am I supposed to think, "Wait, there might be a better transfer of it one day"? If that were the case, I'd be a fool because I'd never buy anything..
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Worst buy was definitely Crank. It was an excellent transfer - but hated the movie. I haven't sold it yet, but am seriously considering it!