High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'August Rush' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/46805-august-rush-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 03-03-2008 01:08 AM

'August Rush' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'August Rush' is up. He's not a big fan of this manipulating weeper. As a Blu-ray release he say's it's a mixed bag, with solid video and audio offset by a very weak supplements package. 'August Rush' is a rental at best.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1344/augustrush.html

Superking 03-03-2008 02:43 AM

My question is why does this get Dolby TrueHD but more high profile releases such as Michael Clayton and TAOJJBTCRF get shafted in the audio department.

Blu-News.com 03-03-2008 02:46 AM

Not sure how to answer that question, but there are many possibilities. It's possible the other movies required more space for the video encode, since they are only on BD25s, or it's possible they want their better or bigger releases more likely to be double dipped in the future, but with a release like this people will pick it up even if the movie wasn't so good.

Trotwood Copperfield 03-20-2008 01:56 AM

This has got to be one of the worst reviews I have read. I'm not talking about the movie. The movie was great. The reviewer is not. He did not even mention a key feeling in the movie. Which means to me that he just should've left this movie review to someone that likes this type of movie. Go to Amazon and read some of the reviews there. Much better.

The "feeling" I am talking about is how it has a Dickens-Oliver Twist feeling to the movie. Which to me and anyone that likes Dickensian style stories, is a plus. The reviewer clearly doesn't take to this type of movie.

I have read many of Peter's reviews. Three stars for Sorcerer's Stone? Please know the reviewer before you blow-off a good movie because the reviewer has different tastes.

Expectancy 03-20-2008 02:05 AM

This was a blind buy for me, so I didn't know what to expect. But I was pleasently suprised at how good this movie was. This is defienetly one of my favorite movies. I would recommend this movie to anyone.

terpfan1980 03-21-2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotwood Copperfield (Post 858558)
This has got to be one of the worst reviews I have read. I'm not talking about the movie. The movie was great. The reviewer is not. He did not even mention a key feeling in the movie. Which means to me that he just should've left this movie review to someone that likes this type of movie. Go to Amazon and read some of the reviews there. Much better.

The "feeling" I am talking about is how it has a Dickens-Oliver Twist feeling to the movie. Which to me and anyone that likes Dickensian style stories, is a plus. The reviewer clearly doesn't take to this type of movie.

I have read many of Peter's reviews. Three stars for Sorcerer's Stone? Please know the reviewer before you blow-off a good movie because the reviewer has different tastes.

Sorry, but I think the reviewer did just fine here and was perfectly reasonable and fair. My own review can be found here as a comparison.

What you must understand that is that everyone's tastes aren't the same and some viewers (and reviewers) don't appreciate films that are trying too hard to put everything together 'just so'.

As a comparison (that I didn't make in my review, and which I don't believe was made by the reviewer here at HDD), this film feels somewhat like a film of several years ago with Kate Becksinsale and John Cusack, Serendipity. Not necessarily a bad film, but not a great one either. The story was too forced and the outcome too predictable. You could watch it for somewhat mindless entertainment, but if you had your brain engaged, you might find yourself frustrated and feeling like you were being taken for granted as a viewer.

August Rush is an 'ok' film for most people. Get outside of the world of music appreciation and you find most people just didn't even care about the film. It did poorly at the box office for a host of reasons, but one of them is likely that many potential viewers just don't care to be taken for granted, and/or they themselves already took for granted how the movie was going to go. Worse yet for the film is that most of the events in it were telegraphed from miles away including some signage and other promotional materials that showed 'August Rush' serving as musical conductor.

Too many parts of the film stretch credulity and would leave most people shaking their heads at just how convenient some events in the film are, and/or questioning how someone, even a supposed prodigy, is able to become so talented as a musician so quickly, or so apparently quickly as the movie does a poor job of conveying the passage of time that had to have been going on throughout the film's events.

Let me close by saying it's great that *you* liked the film and enjoyed it, and it's great that many people that wrote reviews at Amazon enjoyed it. At the same time my wife and I found it to be ok at best and not something that compells us to make a purchase. I appreciate the review here at HDD (which I didn't read before viewing the film) and think it does the film justice as is.

terpfan1980 03-21-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotwood Copperfield (Post 858558)
The "feeling" I am talking about is how it has a Dickens-Oliver Twist feeling to the movie.

By the way, bonus points for picking up that aspect of the film. I caught it, but didn't note it right away. Certainly Robin Williams was portraying the Dodger character in this film.

Of course some reviewers might look at that aspect and decry the thought of possible plagiarism and/or unorginality from the writers (who would be stealing from the classic story). ;)

MrWisker 04-05-2008 11:52 PM

Great movie that had my wife in tears. It is a family favorite for sure.

QuasidodoJr 04-06-2008 12:17 AM

I enjoyed this film a lot, myself. It's a movie to put on when you want your spirits lifted. I've come to the conclusion that many people, these days, don't like what is considered a "feel good" movie.

A funny story... a few years back, I was at a Blockbuster with a friend, and some guy walks up to the shelf, picks up a copy of Remember the Titans, because his wife asked him to, and he says under his breath so his wife can't hear, "C'mon! I don't want this! It's one of those goddamn feel good movies!" My friend and I both laughed, as we had never heard a feel good movie referred to as a "goddamn" feel good movie. As if an uplifting film was torturous. :D

gamma626 04-06-2008 12:20 AM

I idn;t why the kids at the orphanage were making fun of Freddie for having no parents when.... they live in an ORPHANAGE! wtf?