'The Amazing Spider-Man (Combo Pack)' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
While I thought the crane scene seemed completely useless in the story, I didn't feel quite as offended by it as I did by the scene with the little boy on the bridge.
"Here, you can use my Spider-Man mask! It'll give you spider-powers! Available at your local Target Store!"
BWA-HA-HAHA-HAHAHA.

I was a little annoyed at how often he took off his mask in the film, but at least his reveal to his enemy was something entirely different (and ENTIRELY stupid of him to do).
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Great review. Look forward to reading (and hearing from other members) how the 3D is on this flick.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Ugh i'm sick that Sony was able to release this on time and Marvel didn't get the rights back. Why mess with the original costume and the origins. : /
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Great review. Look forward to reading (and hearing from other members) how the 3D is on this flick.
The 3D review will be coming VERY SOON. I got the screener in a little late, and wanted to get coverage up pre-date. Another review of great importance is next on my list, and then I'm circling back to watch the film in 3D, hopefully this weekend if all goes right!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM

If we never got the Raimi origin movie, I would've loved this. But we did, and as a casual fan of Spiderman fan who doesn't know the source material beyond the movies, I just couldn't help but feel that I had seen all of this before. It was well done and Garfield was an improvement over Toby Macguire in my opinion, but there just wasn't enough to really make it stand out for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
If we never got the Raimi origin movie, I would've loved this. But we did, and as a casual fan of Spiderman fan who doesn't know the source material beyond the movies, I just couldn't help but feel that I had seen all of this before. It was well done and Garfield was an improvement over Toby Macguire in my opinion, but there just wasn't enough to really make it stand out for me.
The best reason for the remake is the removal of horseface jr and we got Emma Stone in her place. That right there is worth remaking Spider-Man.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeskillz View Post
Ugh i'm sick that Sony was able to release this on time and Marvel didn't get the rights back. Why mess with the original costume and the origins. : /
Eh, I'm fine with them changing costumes up for the movies a bit, and honestly I can think of two of his costumes that I'd rather see than the traditional red and blues again anyway.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM

I can't believe Nate is gushing over this film. He's entitled to his opinion of course, but I'm just surprised it's a positive one. The nicest thing I can say is that the fight scenes were more creative and entertaining than I expected. Everything else was way off, nothing more so than the characterizations. ESPECIALLY Connors. Ifans plays him like a fucking creep. We're supposed to like him so his turn is tragic. Where's his wife and kid? This is just one example. It's not worth noting any more. Because of Twilight, this is how movies are now; young people standing around being awkward and everything's dark. Fuck that.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
I can't believe Nate is gushing over this film. He's entitled to his opinion of course, but I'm just surprised it's a positive one. The nicest thing I can say is that the fight scenes were more creative and entertaining than I expected. Everything else was way off, nothing more so than the characterizations. ESPECIALLY Connors. Ifans plays him like a fucking creep. We're supposed to like him so his turn is tragic. Where's his wife and kid? This is just one example. It's not worth noting any more. Because of Twilight, this is how movies are now; young people standing around being awkward and everything's dark. Fuck that.
his kid is in deleted scenes.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 PM

The Lizard has never been an especially great villain in the comics. I think that nearly every story with him had roughly the same story - Connors turns into the Lizard, and is interested in either conquering the world so that lizards can take over again, or is more specifically focused on killing his wife and kid. Then Spider-Man manages to beat him by either getting him to swallow some antidote, or tricking him into a cold place.
Of course, there are exceptions. Notably, Todd McFarlane's version of the Lizard that showed up in the Torment storyline that kicked off the Spider-Man title in 1990. But that's really one of the worst arcs I've ever read.

This was something I found really puzzling about this movie. During the ending fight, there are the nitrogen tanks, which seemed really conspicuous. Then they aren't used to defeat the Lizard at all.

I've read most of the runs of Amazing Spider-Man (like 1-410 or so), Web of, Spectacular, and the plain Spider-Man titles. Plus plenty of his appearances in Marvel Team-Up. And this version of Peter Parker isn't right. I still don't feel like he was a hero in this movie. Of course, there's also the possibility that further movies could change my impression of it. The same thing could happen to Prometheus as well. But I have a hard time believing that they are that forward-thinking.