High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   All things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records on Blu-ray Jan. 19th! (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/142646-all-things-must-pass-rise-fall-tower-records-blu-ray-jan-19th.html)

mattedscreen 11-16-2015 12:20 PM

All things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records on Blu-ray Jan. 19th!

Pre-orders are live.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2799...errecords.html

Krawk 11-16-2015 06:10 PM

I used to buy my laserdiscs there.

During the dvd format I would often buy from their .com as they had some insane deals.

mattedscreen 11-16-2015 06:33 PM

When I came to Chicago for school there was an amazing 2 floor downtown location, I could always go in there with $20 and come out with at least 3 solid movies on DVD. I was really bummed when they closed up shop.

Krawk 11-16-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattedscreen (Post 2561539)
When I came to Chicago for school there was an amazing 2 floor downtown location, I could always go in there with $20 and come out with at least 3 solid movies on DVD. I was really bummed when they closed up shop.

Had trouble NOT buying at least 3 laserdiscs on each visit so I know your pain. The one in Mesa, AZ wasn't 2 stories but it covered a lot of physical square feet.

Also had a decent sized Virgin Megastore down there as well, but too many MSRP prices. Surprised Tower went under first.

mattedscreen 11-17-2015 11:06 AM

Yeah, I was amazed Virgin held on as long as they did, there was a MASSIVE one in Chicago that I never once bought a thing from because the prices were so high, their "sales" prices were a joke. Tower had sales at least so if I did buy something I really wanted at MSRP I didn't mind so much. I'm curious to see if Amazon's experiment with physical locations goes anywhere.

Boston007 11-17-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattedscreen (Post 2561583)
Yeah, I was amazed Virgin held on as long as they did, there was a MASSIVE one in Chicago that I never once bought a thing from because the prices were so high, their "sales" prices were a joke. Tower had sales at least so if I did buy something I really wanted at MSRP I didn't mind so much. I'm curious to see if Amazon's experiment with physical locations goes anywhere.

Ha I remember that one in Chicago. It was awesome.

We had one in Boston, at the end of Newbury St I believe. It was a nice store. Ah nostalgia

Josh Z 11-17-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston007 (Post 2561586)
We had one in Boston, at the end of Newbury St I believe. It was a nice store. Ah nostalgia

Yup, I bought Laserdiscs from that store many times. They sometimes had a better selection of Japanese imports than Laser Craze down the street.

After that location went under, the building became a Virgin Megastore for a while. That was never as good. I haven't been down to Newbury Street in years. I think that store's an Urban Outfitters or something similar now.

Boston007 11-17-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 2561591)
Yup, I bought Laserdiscs from that store many times. They sometimes had a better selection of Japanese imports than Laser Craze down the street.

After that location went under, the building became a Virgin Megastore for a while. That was never as good. I haven't been down to Newbury Street in years. I think that store's an Urban Outfitters or something similar now.

Yup. It was most recently a Best Buy, I think, but not sure what it is now.

dommie 11-17-2015 02:41 PM

I may be dating myself here but I was living in San Francisco when they opened their store at Bay and Columbus. Going in there was like an event and you could spend hours just looking. After I graduated from college, I moved to Los Angeles and spent many hours in their iconic store on Sunset Blvd. It's fitting that Elton John would be in this documentary because I used to see him, along with many other rockers in that Sunset store with stacks of CD's. Although many companies attempted to duplicate the experience (i.e. Wherehouse, Music Plus, Virgin, etc.), going to Tower was defintiely a unique experience. When they closed, it was the end of an era, never to return.

timcharger 11-19-2015 01:07 PM

I once lost track of time while browsing a Tower Records.

All of the sudden, a flood of people came towards me.
I joined the line at the head of the pack to the
Ticketmaster station. Next thing I know, I bought some
NFL playoff tickets that were released for sale to non-
season ticket holders. I barely could afford them.
Stayed in the dorms eating instant noodles for weeks
because of that.

But it weren't for that, I might be using the name
timTOWERRECORDS instead of timCHARGER.