'ALIEN vs. Predator: Requiem' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 11 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
You're not going to change anyone's mind. The internet community has spoken and they think it's bad and 300 is amazing. Even though 300 has all the same issues this movie has - paper thin plot, bad acting/dialog, needless gore, etc. Maybe if there were more overly buff, shirtless men running around, people would like AVP:R.
I'm part of the internet community and I thought 300 sucked! AVP:R was a much better film. However, that's not saying much. I like both AVP and AVP:R, but they are just mindless horroresque films. I like that kinda thing. But as a whole, I'd give AVP:R a C+. 300, on the other hand is not my thing. I'd give it an F-. Hey! To each his own, right?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith7 View Post
After watching the unrated version on BD, I'm curious about a scene which does not appear. On the unrated dvd version, when Jesse gets hit by the shuriken, she is cut in half and her lower body falls to the floor. I am NOT seeing this on the unrated BD. All the other unrated scenes are there, but it seems to skip that one. Anyone else have this problem, or is it maybe my copy somehow?
Not just you - I've been seeing others report this, along with screenshots of the death as shown on the unrated DVD, and, yes, the unrated Blu-Ray DOES NOT have the unrated Jesse's death scene in it.

However, don't expect anything to happen on this front any time soon.... I posted this on another forum that was discussing just this issue:

Don't hold your breath on getting the missing footage fixed any time soon, if their customer service reps are anything to go by - I just got off the phone with Fox's Blu-Ray Customer Support. I spoke to a woman named Erica, and the conversation went like this...

Me: I recently bought the Bluray version of Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem and watched it. But then, I went to a buddy's house who had the uncut DVD version, I noticed that there is extra footage on the uncut DVD that's not in the uncut version on the Blu-Ray. Have you had anyone report this to you yet?

Erica: No, but let me look it up in the database..

Me: OK

Erica: Sir, we didn't release Aliens vs. Predator Requiem uncut on Blu-Ray - I've got it listed as theatrical/unrated via seamless branching. So that's why the footage is missing.

Me: OK, when I put the Blu-Ray in, the first thing it asks me is if I want to watch the theatrical release or the unrated version. I watched it unrated on the Blu-Ray and it doesn't match the unrated DVD.

Erica: Well, sir, the seamless branching unrated means that it's not uncut and there could still be stuff cut out of it.

Me: <here, I try, unsuccessfully, to explain to THEIR OWN SUPPORT PERSON what seamless branching means>

Erica: Uh-huh

Me: Ok, so nobody has reported footage missing from the Blu-Ray version to your support line?

Erica: No sir.

Me: OK, click...

I tried calling back again and got Erica again, so I didn't try again yet.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

It's in there. It's just very difficult to see. When I watched it on my TV I missed it, but when I checked it out on the comp, it's much clearer. Her lower torso slides down the wall and makes a kind of squishing sound. Turn up the brightness. It's definately there, but you'll miss it if you are not looking hard enough.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:27 AM

"Why take a couple of over-the-hill franchises and try to "reinvigorate" their mythology by making yet another crappy, unnecessary sequel? It's the most obvious and desperate kind of gimmick that Hollywood can come up with (which is saying a lot)"

Taking the the reviewers thoughts from above extract, I would venture that the same could be said of Star Wars or Indiana Jones, Do we really need another "Indy" film? Was there much point in making all the Star Wars prequels?

Now before a lot of you get on my back, I do recognise that a lot of you like the SW/Indy films. I don't really care for them myself and don't have them in my collection.

I think my point is that opening with a review with that statement is pretty much setting out your stall, but also opening up a load of other films series for criticism.

As for me, one of my favourite films is Alien, and has been in my top 10 for years. I also love Aliens, but the rest of the series although I do watch from time to time do not really register to the same degree. AvP series is a nice diversion, but not in my all time favourites.

._.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicon View Post
It's in there. It's just very difficult to see. When I watched it on my TV I missed it, but when I checked it out on the comp, it's much clearer. Her lower torso slides down the wall and makes a kind of squishing sound. Turn up the brightness. It's definately there, but you'll miss it if you are not looking hard enough.
No, it's definitley NOT (at least not on the copy I have). I compared the digital copy (which is unrated as well) to the same scene in the unrated Blu-Ray version, and the scene on the Blu-Ray is definitely the R-Rated scene.

You can tell best when Ricky (I think that's the character name of the pizza guy) goes up to Jesse's body pinned to the wall, looks at it, and then turns around, yells, and takes out after the predator. On the R-Rated version, you can see Jesse's legs hanging down from the rest of her body. On the Unrated version, all you see in the background is a bloody wall.

There is also an extra shot (several frames at most) in the unrated version shot from Jesse's left side, shot from the height of the shurikin embedded in her body, where you briefly see her lower body slide away.

Now, there is a chance that this could be a player issue (I'm playing it on a PS3 with firmware 2.20) with the seamless branching, although I've never had any problems with seamless branching before, and all of the other unrated footage plays correctly.

I also saw a post on one of the Alien/Predator specific forums that this is an issue with early pressings, and that the Brothers Crouse brought it to Fox's attention, and it was fixed in later pressings. Please note, however, that this is the ONLY place I have seen this mentioned.

However, since I can't even get the Fox Blu-Ray support people to understand the concept of seamless branching, nor can I make them understand that the Unrated DVD version and the Unrated Blu-Ray version should be the SAME, it makes it difficult to let them know that it may be an issue in the first place.

Last edited by swollen_ostrich; 04-29-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Hmm, I had no idea her lower torso slides down the wall.

I saw the movie in the theatre and while watching the unrated cut I didn't notice any changes in regards to gore but now I'm a bit miffed.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

The first AvP was a dismal attempt by a half-wit director at making a film that beared pretty much no resemblance to the 2 franchises it was supposed to be combining. So many ignorances of canon from both franchises and then the premis was utterly absurd. I only went to see it in theaters because I got a free ticket in my Predator DVD. Had zero expectations and other than the rare odd nod to the previous franchises I left as thrilled as I had going in.

Avp:R was exactly what I wanted it to be. A way to give back to fans of both franchises without trying to bullshit them that the first film hadn't happened. Take the obvious set-up for a sequel and make the most of it. There's a thin plot. Perfect. There's a bunch of no-name actors with typical characters. Perfect. There's some new half-breed creature that get's destroyed. Perfect. There's one bad as fuck Predator and a ton of Alien warriors. Perfect. There's gore, and lots of it. Perfect. No one is safe. No one is obvious to survive. Nothing is impossible. Perfect. My only dissapointemnet is hearing that the Unrated DVD is more unrated than the BD.

I give AvP about a 3 out of 10 but AvP:R gets an 8. It's not an 8 like I'd give the Pianist because the two are wholey and completely different films. For what it was, where it had to start and what it tried to do it does it well.

Can't wait for a AvP film fans have always wanted to be made, since now all the "back story" crap has been dealt with.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
The first AvP was a dismal attempt by a half-wit director at making a film that beared pretty much no resemblance to the 2 franchises it was supposed to be combining. So many ignorances of canon from both franchises and then the premis was utterly absurd. I only went to see it in theaters because I got a free ticket in my Predator DVD. Had zero expectations and other than the rare odd nod to the previous franchises I left as thrilled as I had going in.

Avp:R was exactly what I wanted it to be. A way to give back to fans of both franchises without trying to bullshit them that the first film hadn't happened. Take the obvious set-up for a sequel and make the most of it. There's a thin plot. Perfect. There's a bunch of no-name actors with typical characters. Perfect. There's some new half-breed creature that get's destroyed. Perfect. There's one bad as fuck Predator and a ton of Alien warriors. Perfect. There's gore, and lots of it. Perfect. No one is safe. No one is obvious to survive. Nothing is impossible. Perfect. My only dissapointemnet is hearing that the Unrated DVD is more unrated than the BD.

I give AvP about a 3 out of 10 but AvP:R gets an 8. It's not an 8 like I'd give the Pianist because the two are wholey and completely different films. For what it was, where it had to start and what it tried to do it does it well.

Can't wait for a AvP film fans have always wanted to be made, since now all the "back story" crap has been dealt with.
Well said. I agree with you.

I really want this Blu, but the Region B versions are all the theatrical cut, damn it. I want the extended version.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Well after hearing about the missing footage from the Unrated Bluray, I'm glad I got the 2 pack for $28 when Amazon had their glitch, to pay a premium for Bluray and get shafted like this is a joke, FOX is the worst company so far when it comes to Bluray and Bluray issues....

After finally putting this in to watch it (I saw it at the theaters as well) I cant believe how dark this is, its almost unwatchable, I will have to try it again when its night time and I can have my room totally dark, but during the day you almost cant see anything during any of the dark scenes, even the daylight scenes are purposefully dark, the filter they used over top of the movie really doesnt help it at all and I even have dark sides to the daylight scenes where the picture will almost start fading out near the sides of the screen, I actually turned it off because I couldnt see much of anything anytime anything good was actually happening

Very disappointed in how this film was shot and like I said, for me, it wasnt this dark at the theater, sure it was dark, but not to the point where I couldnt see what was going on, such as the first scene in the beginning where you see the PredAlien on the ship, that scene was almost totally black for me on the Bluray, literally couldnt make out anything, not sure what happened but as I said, glad I didnt pay the full $50 for this pack.....the first AVP looks great on Bluray with none of these problems and I liked AVP-R a lot more and it doesnt look like I will get much viewing out of it because of its filming issues
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Well after emailing FOX about these issues, they responded and said they are looking into the issue but have no solution yet....also watching this at night really didnt help it out, something must have happened in the transfer process to DVD and Bluray because it really is almost too dark to see anything going on, so I went (after watching the whole movie) and watched the HD trailers on the same disc and they are much brighter, clearer and easier to see (which is what I remember from the theater) than the Bluray version of the movie.

I hope FOX institutes an exchange sometime soon or else my AVP2 might just get traded in or sold since something is clearly wrong with the transfer and the missing footage is just inexcusable as well