Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection: Separate Releases Coming May 10th!! - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
What price?
They're $34.99 apiece MSRP. $24.49 on Amazon.

The entire Anthology is $44 on Amazon.uk. It's cheaper to buy the whole thing from England than it is to buy the first and second films separately in the US right now.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
They're $34.99 apiece MSRP. $24.49 on Amazon.

The entire Anthology is $44 on Amazon.uk. It's cheaper to buy the whole thing from England than it is to buy the first and second films separately in the US right now.
^^^What he said!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

another site said each release includes all of the extras. considering the retail price...makes me think it'll be 2 disc sets.

but least now all the whiners can stop whining. i still cant believe how many got upset when the box set was released. it was a given they'd be sold individually eventually, they do this for practically every movie collection. release the box set first and then the individual movies.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
another site said each release includes all of the extras. considering the retail price...makes me think it'll be 2 disc sets.
It's a possibility. I just doubt it.

The extras for the Anthology were collected onto two discs. Each Lauzirika documentary (and subsequent "enhancement pods" featurettes) were on disc 5. The massive pile of photo galleries, TV specials and LaserDisc Archives were all on disc 6. The extras were broken down into submenus for each film.

Fox would have to author new "Bonus" discs with new menus to include the film-specific Lauzirika documentaries and "archive" material on a second platter (additional extras aren't going on the movie discs, which are maxed out as it is.)

Fox they might create new discs.... but I don't know if they will. Seems cheaper to simply repackage the film discs into their own separate release to please the people who only wanted "Alien" and "Aliens" by themselves.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM

if they do it like i read, they'd likely only include the actual 3-4 hour documentaries for each film. so everything on Disc 5 of the anthology set would be matched with the proper movie. and the 6th disc would likely remain a Anthology only item. remember this is how the dvd collection was done, 2 discs for each movie. one had the two versions of the movie and the 2nd disc has the documentaries.

if Fox is as cheap as some believe, it wouldnt surprise me to see them simply include the quadrilogy extras discs. especially since none of that was in high-def on the anthology set anyway.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM

best news all day.
no way I was paying Fox what they wanted for the whole set.
now I just have to wait another few months until they are $10 a piece.
hey Universal, remember that Back To the Future set you released.....
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
if they do it like i read, they'd likely only include the actual 3-4 hour documentaries for each film. so everything on Disc 5 of the anthology set would be matched with the proper movie. and the 6th disc would likely remain a Anthology only item. remember this is how the dvd collection was done, 2 discs for each movie. one had the two versions of the movie and the 2nd disc has the documentaries.
Right, but they were already prepped that way on the Quadrilogy DVD set, which was a 9 disc set. When Fox released each film by itself in their respective 2-disc Special Editions they simply repackaged discs that they already pressed for the "Quadrilogy" collection.

This is an impossible solution for the blu-ray, since all of the documentaries are on the single disc.

Quote:
if Fox is as cheap as some believe, it wouldnt surprise me to see them simply include the quadrilogy extras discs. especially since none of that was in high-def on the anthology set anyway.
Unlikely.

Charlie Lauzirika re-formated each documentary for 16x9 widescreen on the Anthology, added a ton of new exclusive "deleted scenes" from the docus (the "Enhancement Pod" featurettes), plus had his 3-hour cut of "Wreckage and Rage" (the "Alien3" making of) restored.

If Fox repackaged the Quadrilogy supplements with the standalone "Anthology" blu-rays it'd be a massive step backward, and I doubt Lauzirika would be pleased with a solution like that (he was heavily involved as the producer of the new "Anthology"set).

As I said, the most likely solution is that the separates have BD-LIVE, MU-TH-UR Mode, commentaries, deleted scenes, and isolated scores as extras and nothing more (just like the individual discs in the Anthology).

May I ask where you're getting the info about the standalones being 2-discs by the way? I'd like to read that. After all, maybe I'm wrong (which would be great, really).
Old 03-12-2011, 02:05 AM

Got the US version for 60 dollars but I like the separate coverart but hey if anyone wants to buy 4 off me or more so trade pm me.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
May I ask where you're getting the info about the standalones being 2-discs by the way? I'd like to read that. After all, maybe I'm wrong (which would be great, really).
i got the extra features story here

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/articles...ws-update-0311

it says "all of its bonuses" so that makes it sound like everything. that combined with the retail price makes it likely it be a 2 disc set. although i guess its possible they're just throwing a digital copy or the dvd edition with it. i realize they say single disc release in the article but thats a steep price for one disc. of course if i'm right and they fit everythign onto one, maybe thats why they jacked the price. they are charging for the amount of content.

its possible it'll be like you said, simply the movie discs and nothing else but the way they say "all" for the bonuses makes it seem like more. if it was simply the movie, i'd expect them to say it. but i guess it doesnt matter in the end for me since i bought the anthology set. lol
Old 03-12-2011, 03:03 PM

For the $42 spent on the UK edition this really isn't worth it. I think RoadLizard already said it best and he hates 3 and 4.