'The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
No. You're missing the point. None of us could care less whether he liked it, or not. We don't care whether he gave it 0 stars or 5 stars. <edit> Read it again. Tell me that you don't agree. <edit>.
I just read through the review. It seems to me that the entirety of your complaint is centered around one sentence in the Final Thoughts section. Beyond that, I'd say that Luke made a good-faith effort to give both the movie (very much a lesser Disney effort) and the disc a fair assessment, even if you don't agree with his opinions.

If we had cut the "old and irrelevant" line, would you still be foaming at the mouth about this?

Last edited by Josh Z; 08-28-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Wait, this has an Ultraviolet code? Does the triple feature have it?
I posted this question in the digital copies subforum. Apparently the 3-movie pack does not redeem on UV while the single movie edition does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Picked this one up for only $16.50. Dealers on fleabay must've picked these, as well as tarzan, hercules, and bedknobs and broomsticks, for pretty cheap, as they seem to be having a pricing war going on.
DMC has this and Toy Story of Terror for a decent combo price this month.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

First of all - Cease and desist the personal attacks

Now, for the record, this is one of the few reviews I did read word for word. Overall I thought it was well written. Not sure why all the negativity that has required moderation of posts.

If I disagreed with the review itself, I would post it here with facts are reasons why I do. This would encourage others to agree or disagree within the thread.

If I disliked Luke's writing style, when I see posts of his reviews, I would either skip them or just look at the ratings quickly and move on, possibly on to other review sites for the movie I was interested in.

If you have any other issues, use the private message system.

The beautiful thing about this site is the diversity of its reviewers. We do not want everyone to have the exact same writing style and tastes. It would get pretty old and boring around her if they were all automatons. We have our film majors, professors and just everyday Joes. Variety is healthy. How many of us see all the films nominated for Best Picture every year? And of those that have seen all the nominees, are you better enlightened or are you wishing for those hours of your life back?

Stop expecting too much from a free site with staff members that do this work because they love doing it. I doubt any of the reviewers are getting paid for this.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I just read through the review. It seems to me that the entirety of your complaint is centered around one sentence in the Final Thoughts section. Beyond that, I'd say that Luke made a good-faith effort to give both the movie (very much a lesser Disney effort) and the disc a fair assessment, even if you don't agree with his opinions.

If we had cut the "old and irrelevant" line, would you still be foaming at the mouth about this?
I'm not buying it. You know the review was poor-to-mediocre, at best. Several people have commented as much. I'm not the only one. I can understand why one or two of my comments ended up being removed, but it was pretty low to remove all of them. None of them were personal attacks. Some of them were quite constructive. Especially, my comments about what film critique is, or at least what it should be.

I don't think people visit HDD to read reviews that come across as nothing more than the opinion of their next door neighbor. I'll say it again, no matter how a reviewer feels about the content, they should always care about their review. Feeling indifferent about the content (or not liking it at all) is never an excuse for a lackadaisical and careless review. Take a look at the review that another commenter linked. Pay attention to the grammatical and sentence structure errors. I've read at least a few other reviews from this particular reviewer that contained just as many.

I just feel that HDD should be held to a higher standard. Once again, there is a stark contrast between the reviews posted by other staff members, and this particular staff member. I'm not saying that everyone should have the same style, but every review that goes up should read like it's from a professional. If I'm expecting too much, let me know. I can accept that. But please don't try to convince me that you believe this was a decent review.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
But it was released 65 years ago, and you can't change that. All of Disney's films made between 1941-1949, especially as packaged and released, are a reflection of the time period in which they were made.

After the success of Snow White, Disney acquired the rights to The Wind in the Willows and intended to produce a full-length feature based on the (very popular) book. However, after the financial fallout following Fantasia, which went over-budget and bombed at the box office, and Walt's subsequent agreement to make propaganda films for the US Government during World War II, the plans for a feature-length project were put on hold.

In the early days of WWII, the company was cash-strapped (near bankruptcy) and understaffed (something like 80-90% of the company's animators were conscripted, primarily working on propaganda films), and Walt didn't have the means to make traditional feature-length films. Whenever it was possible, work on several short features was completed by the remaining animators, and a number of "package films" were released on and off throughout the propaganda period to help keep the company afloat.

The package films -- Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, and Melody Time -- kept the company in the black during a difficult time. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad was the last package film. To make the most of what they had, Disney tweaked and combined the completed work on the abandoned The Wind and the Willows feature with another project shaping up to a short length, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

I'm not saying The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is a great film, or that the different narrators and two-films-in-one presentation isn't sort of odd, but context matters.

That said, the triple feature with Fun and Fancy Free and The Reluctant Dragon is a much better buy than the standalone of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

It's why a lot of times I don't read reviews of people covering Disney films. They don't tend to put things into context. Sort of exclude the history and merely look at something at face value. You really can't do that with older films, and you did a wonderful job explaining exactly why.

I think this and the Hercules review bothered me the most.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hickman View Post
Had this release been produced now and not 65 years ago, it would be very poorly received. Like my review or not, there's no denying that. This movie has no legs. Proving so is that fact that I didn't grow up on this movie and, although I love most Disney, I most definitely do not love this.

Regarding the Blu-ray itself, this is a lazy attempt at upgrading something by doing the bare minimum work.
that's a horrible way to review things.

You can't review these things as if they were coming out today you have to look at the time they came out. My younger brother doesn't like the 1st aliens because it's slow and boring to him and the effects are outdated. Guess is a bad movie by your standards then.

I like this site but at times I feel like they don't own up to bad reviews and instead try to discredit it's readers.

I already posted a far more horrible review on the Deep Purple disc that was just bad and instead of owning up to it they just said deep purple sucks deal with it.

This review is very similar. No research was done or an attempt to see the movie in the context it was released. It was just like well the movie is old and I didn't like it. deal with it.

It just seems so sloppy and unprofessional.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It's why a lot of times I don't read reviews of people covering Disney films. They don't tend to put things into context. Sort of exclude the history and merely look at something at face value. You really can't do that with older films, and you did a wonderful job explaining exactly why.
What's interesting here is that Disney worked very hard over the decades specifically to remove its films from historical context. For many years, the studio refused to even put copyright dates on the packaging for its animated movies, because it wanted them to be "timeless." A child watching a Disney cartoon for the first time today should experience it as if it was a brand new movie.

That's one of the goals of the Vault system. Disney will remove a movie from circulation for several years, so that it can introduce that movie to the next generation of kids as if it were fresh and new, not just some old thing that's been sitting on store shelves for years collecting dust.

Only recently has Disney softened on this stance, and began marking the anniversaries of its old movies. That's a fairly recent phenomenon.

Nevertheless, this is why Disney will never re-release Song of the South. If a child today were to watch that movie and take it as a new film... well, the prospect of that terrifies the executives at the studio. They don't want to risk that happening.

The contextual information that Super-VHS provided about why Ichabod and Mr. Toad wound up being such a compromised effort is interesting. But ultimately, if we're judging the movie on its own merits, it is a very mediocre film, and I think Luke's opinion of it is perfectly fair on those terms. This is a movie made for young children. Luke is watching it as a parent of young children, and if the movie can't engage his kids or hold their attention, then it has failed its primary purpose and is only worthwhile as a piece of nostalgia.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

I think this and the Hercules review bothered me the most.
My little girl has been absolutely hooked on Hercules for the past few months. We love that film not sure why it gets a bad rap. It's not perfect but it's great entertainment.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'll be honest and admit that this is one of the things that bothered me the most about this review. I'm fine with the fact that he didn't like it, but I want to read more constructive reasons behind his critique, than "it's old" and "it's something that would be in my grandparents' collections." When you read a line like that, it just seems like he is knocking the movie for not being the latest CGI extravaganza. It comes off as sounding like a kid who wont give a movie a chance, solely for the reason that it's in black and white. The Mr. Toad portion of this film is actually still really solid, to this day. It entertained me as a kid, and it entertains me now (btw...I'm 32...I'm not a grandpa). I'll freely admit that the Ichabod portion of this film doesn't hold up for me, today, though.

Also, FWIW, I completely agree that the package of just Ichabod and Mr. Toad is not worth paying full price for....but if you can find the package that includes Full and Fancy Free, for around the same price (which everyone in their right mind will be able to do), then it's totally worth it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hickman View Post
Disney has been horrible at advertising it, but you can plug most Anywhere codes into your UV account or iTunes account (one or the other, not both) and add it to your collection.
Point of clarification here - you can't just plug the codes into your UV account. The Disney Anywhere codes may (and I believe do) work if you plug them in at VUDU.com, but they don't work as UV codes. If you redeem them at Vudu they aren't in your UV locker and aren't available from other UV partners.

Disney has made the content available via VUDU (which is a partner company/owned by Wal-Mart), but VUDU isn't a full partner in Disney's DisneyMoviesAnywhere and isn't able to access previously unlocked/older content that might exist in your DMA "keychest" locker, just as they (DMA) can't access any UV content you may have in your locker.

Some fans (many of them?) hope that Disney will eventually be a UV partner, or that Vudu will become a full partner in DMA, but it hasn't happened yet. When/if customers are lucky enough to redeem the codes and get Vudu copies they normally do a happy dance and celebrate that they didn't have to use iTunes to get the digital copy. As things currently stand, people have been lucky enough to redeem for Vudu and still get an iTunes copy that was unlocked via the DMA locker, but that may cease in the future. If so, people may get really angry with Disney as they feel forced into supporting a format they don't want, or feel limited in the choices that they do have.

To the best of my knowledge this title didn't come with any digital code. Rather it was packaged as Blu-ray + DVD only. No Digital copy with this one. Edited to note: the standalone Ichibod and Mr Toad does include Digital Copy. The combo of Ichibod and Mr Toad along with Fun and Fancy Free didn't. That's what I was turning up when I saw this at Amazon.