Absolutely loving Universals HD decision to... - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Seamless branching is one of the reasons Universal is my favorite. For the last studio entering BD, they sure are doing it right!

Seamless branching to give theatrical/extended cuts
Day One support of lossless audio via DTSMA
Near universal BD-Live for those who have that capability
PIP and other U-Control functions. Probably the most interactive studio for film buffs
Stellar video quality for their releases, even the 25 gig discs
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 AM

Not to mention region free on ALL releases.

Flicks V signs towards Fox and Disney!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 AM

To any who bought Death Race, the cover has it labelled as "UNRATED".... but can you still play the "rated" version?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows V View Post
To any who bought Death Race, the cover has it labelled as "UNRATED".... but can you still play the "rated" version?
Yes you can.

On a different note, I really don't understand the U-CONTROL hate? I personally love that I have the option of what features to put on screen. If i'm watching a PIP track, I don't always want to watch the other information pop up. Also if i'm watching a pop up track, I don't always want to have to go to PIP in order to view it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM

None of these films us seemless branching. They are all seperate encodes on BD-50s!!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
None of these films us seemless branching. They are all seperate encodes on BD-50s!!
Are you sure about that? What about Jet Li's Fearless? Three different versions on one disc.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
No. All Universal releases that contain 2 or more cuts use seamless branching.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Is there a way to find something like that out for sure, other than asking the manufacturer?

I suppose if you had a computer with a blu-ray drive, you could look at the files on the computer and figure it out that way, but what if you don't have one?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM

Riddick doesn't and has a 14Mbps bitrate cause of it.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycracksopen View Post
Is there a way to find something like that out for sure, other than asking the manufacturer?

I suppose if you had a computer with a blu-ray drive, you could look at the files on the computer and figure it out that way, but what if you don't have one?
To know for sure, if you don't trust others, having a BD drive in your computer and finding out file structure and sizes is basically the only option.

However, if you have enough faith in people that they won't bullshit you there are places to find out this info.

Personally, I consult the spec data base here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
Riddick doesn't and has a 14Mbps bitrate cause of it.
Riddick would be the exception, not the rule.

For example, Pitch Black, on the other hand, does use branching.

As do Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, King Kong, American Gangster, Fearless, Role Models, Death Race and The Strangers.

It would seem, so far, out of all the discs from Universal that contain multiple versions, an overwhelming majority (nearly all - and for the sake of argument, all) do use the technology.