'12 Years a Slave' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Argo was good, but not better than Skyfall or Django Unchained.

Now I haven't seen 12YaaS yet, and I'm sure it is good, but better than American Hustle, Frozen, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Saving Mr Banks? Highly doubtful.

It is also a disservice to both the nominees and this movie that people voted for it just because they felt obliged to do so.
Argo fell over at the first hurdle. It wasn't bloody accurate.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Argo was good, but not better than Skyfall or Django Unchained.

Now I haven't seen 12YaaS yet, and I'm sure it is good, but better than American Hustle, Frozen, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Saving Mr Banks? Highly doubtful.

It is also a disservice to both the nominees and this movie that people voted for it just because they felt obliged to do so.
Just about everything to come out last year was better than 'Saving Mr. Banks'.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Just about everything to come out last year was better than 'Saving Mr. Banks'.
...and you're not going to be happy with my next review, either.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
...and you're not going to be happy with my next review, either.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 PM
HDD Contributor

Northup does have an interesting story, but it would have been more interesting to see his post-slavery life as he tried to take the men who sold him into slavery into court and revealed the racism of the North. As tragic as the events depicted are in 12YAS and as well made as the film is that doesn't keep much of it from seeming like familiar ground covered before
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM

I compare this film with Schindler's List. Both included horrible situations where one race enslaved and cruelly abused another race. But Schindler's List had some humanity in it vs. 12 Years where nearly every single person in power existed only for cruelty. One other complaint is that a couple of the characters seemed to disappear or appear from nowhere - the former overseer who was supposed to deliver the letter and sold out Solomon and who was the woman who was amorous with Solomon? This is a well acted film, but with flaws and was not deserving of the oscar for Best Picture.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bicho View Post
Northup does have an interesting story, but it would have been more interesting to see his post-slavery life as he tried to take the men who sold him into slavery into court and revealed the racism of the North. As tragic as the events depicted are in 12YAS and as well made as the film is that doesn't keep much of it from seeming like familiar ground covered before
Do I smell a sequel coming?

"12 Years a Slave" followed by "12 Years a Slaver Hunter"?

Come on Hollywood, a sequel without robots or superheroes.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
I compare this film with Schindler's List. Both included horrible situations where one race enslaved and cruelly abused another race. But Schindler's List had some humanity in it vs. 12 Years where nearly every single person in power existed only for cruelty. One other complaint is that a couple of the characters seemed to disappear or appear from nowhere - the former overseer who was supposed to deliver the letter and sold out Solomon and who was the woman who was amorous with Solomon? This is a well acted film, but with flaws and was not deserving of the oscar for Best Picture.
Yeah it was and did.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Yeah it was and did.
Well, that was helpful.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM

More often than not, Best Picture winners do not deserve to win Best Picture.

(Can't speak for this film, haven't seen it.)