’The Forbidden Kingdom’ - High-def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
yeah, just from looking at the trailer and story line you know this is going to be stupid. and it was definetly chackie chan's & jet Li's worst movies ever
Have to disgree on the JC movies there. By far his worst movie is Rush Hour 3. Preceded by Rush Hour 2. I'd watch Forbidden Kingdom, fake Wushia or not, over that crap.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKMOVIESAREBEST View Post
I'm not sure what you guys expected? From the trailer alone It didn't shy away from being a US made Chinese kid flick. Some of you guys are being really hard on it like it was supposed to be the second coming of Christ. Does the movie have flaws? Yes of course, but cut it some slack. Even the kid Michael Angarano who I thought I was going to hate, I found myself liking. As movie fans/buffs since when did we become so jaded? What happen to just enjoying a movie for what it is, maybe that's why I loved D-Wars, Cloverfield, Doomsday and Shoot Em' Up. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about it, You're going to like what you like no matter what anyone says, but I mean come on try and have a little fun with these type of films. I don't know to each his own I guess.
Look D-Wars, Cloverfield and the others aren't hidden with what they are. You know they're American. Depending on the trailer you see for "Forbidden Kingdom", the one without Michael Angarano and the one with Chan and Li, you might think this is LEGIT Wuxia. I was interested in this until I realized it was American.
Still this could've turned out a success or possibly a really good product if they'd left well enough alone. See my above comment. But these stupid fucking Gwaeloo's have to piss on what is Wuxia here, by masquerading as it.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:34 AM

This movie was surprisingly entertaining. It was kind of cheesy at times, but it could have been a lot worse. Instead of Jet Li and Jackie Chan, they could have cast Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 AM

Never could stand Chan's movies and from the trailer this one's no better.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 AM

I'm a big fan of Li and Chan, and went crazy when I heard this movie was finally out in theatres. Although I missed it in theatres (school exams), I ended up renting it today and saw it. I was going to blind buy, but some people suggested renting first due to mixed opinions about the movie.

I can't say i love it, but i did enjoy it! It had lots of good fight scenes, great CG effects, and beautiful art / photography direction. The story, though familiar and derivative, was still fun because they used these familiar storylines / themes in a unique combination. I don't care about Karate Kid, Never-ending story, etc., but somehow Forbidden Kingdom was enjoyable. It is, however, slightly catered to younger children.

I was afraid that the story would focus too much on that kid returning the staff and not on Li/Chan, but i'm relieved that Li/Chan had sufficient on-screen time together.

I'm probably in the minority here when i say that i'm slightly disappointed with the lack of complexity of the fight scenes, save for the Li/Chan fight, especially considering it's yuen woo-ping.

Overall: 4.0

Movie:3.5
PQ: 4.5
AQ: 4.0
Extras: 3.5
Rewatchability: 3.5

Bottom-line: Rent it First

Last edited by Joshua Fireseed; 09-13-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 AM

I watched this the other night and I thought it was pretty good. PQ & AQ were good I thought the Curse of the Golden Flower looked better. I will probably pick it up eventually. It was pretty fun all in all.
Mischa.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 AM

I agree with the reviewer completely on this one. It's not bad but damn we finally get a Li / Chan combo movie and it's this cookie cutter fluff. It's hard to think of a cliche that was left out of this movie but even with it all it's movie by number parts it was still entertaining once I realized and accepted what I was in for.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Wow... there's a lot of angry nerds here. This was a terrific action movie highlighting two of the greats. It was fun, and whimsical with fantastic art direction and fight choreography. On top of that it was a perfect movie for adults and kids alike; it made me feel like a kid again! I can only hope that movies like this, movies with heart, are still made when my kids are old enough to appreciate this.

I'm glad I'm not too angry and jaded to enjoy good fun. :P
Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 AM

I thought it was a good kids' movie. Anyone approaching it as a standard martial arts film will be disappointed.

Oh, it's also nice to see that Jackie Chan's English has improved quite a bit since Rush Hour 1. At this point Jet Lie's accent sounds far worse to me.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Oh, it's also nice to see that Jackie Chan's English has improved quite a bit since Rush Hour 1. At this point Jet Lie's accent sounds far worse to me.
Jackie did that 'Jackie Chan Adventures' cartoon kids show for a while, I say that helped him a lot since its a voice acting role. He's also done more western movies than Jet Li

I didn't like this movie at all unfortunately. I'm a big fan of JC & JL but the whole western theme and kiddy storyline involving the monkey...bleaugh