’The Forbidden Kingdom’ - High-def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 AM

just watched this, it was a letdown, the story was borrowed from so many other movies. I mean for these 2 legends, thats right legends, couldnt they have ran a couple more script drafts? oh well, yuen woo-ping did not dissapoint, at leasted that didnt get botched....

all the scores were right on the money, good review Ken.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
just watched this, it was a letdown, the story was borrowed from so many other movies.
You do know it's based on a Chinese legend right, the monkey king.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 AM

You people want to know why this movie turned out to be crap? It's a Wuxia movie that's American made. If that didn't kill it the fact that it's all in English would.
I remember seeing the trailer for this movie and being interested until I saw Angarano. I want a real Wuxia movie with Li and Chan, not an American made product putting both in it. If Lion's Gate were smart they would've just taken the existing script, put Angarano in it speaking English in the beginning, then when he's taken back it would be spoken entirely in Mandarin or Cantonese including from Angarano. Oh and it would've been filmed out to a Chinese company to shoot.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 AM

The good PQ and AQ on the BD will not save this movie because of its content imho for most people. Glad I decided to rent it. It would offer very little replay value for me. Who knows though as we all have different tastes. Strong rec to rent it first if you haven't seen it. Get the popcorn and beverage ready. It isn't bad but that helped matters for me during viewing!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm not sure what you guys expected? From the trailer alone It didn't shy away from being a US made Chinese kid flick. Some of you guys are being really hard on it like it was supposed to be the second coming of Christ. Does the movie have flaws? Yes of course, but cut it some slack. Even the kid Michael Angarano who I thought I was going to hate, I found myself liking. As movie fans/buffs since when did we become so jaded? What happen to just enjoying a movie for what it is, maybe that's why I loved D-Wars, Cloverfield, Doomsday and Shoot Em' Up. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about it, You're going to like what you like no matter what anyone says, but I mean come on try and have a little fun with these type of films. I don't know to each his own I guess.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 AM

I thought Doomsday was a pretty good popcorn flick, it certainly wasn't Road Warrior, but it was a good enough.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Liking a movie for what it is fine and understandable to have a little fun. I had fun with it by renting it and I would have kicked myself on the behind if I didn't do so first. However, renting is what I ALWAYS recommend to folks unfamiliar with the content regardless of the BD quality.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 AM

yeah, just from looking at the trailer and story line you know this is going to be stupid. and it was definetly chackie chan's & jet Li's worst movies ever
Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
yeah, just from looking at the trailer and story line you know this is going to be stupid. and it was definetly chackie chan's & jet Li's worst movies ever
Guess you're not familiar with their filmographies.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKMOVIESAREBEST View Post
You do know it's based on a Chinese legend right, the monkey king.
Yeah I know the legend and I know how many movies have been based off of it. You're telling me that just because it's a real legend that validates the burrowed script, characters and story arcs? There is not an original concept in this whole movie, and that my reward for being a Chan and Li fan for 15 years is a kiddie movie?

That's like justifying Jar Jar Binks for all of us StarWars fans that waited years and years, just for some watered down child safety product to sell a couple more tickets? If you enjoy it, great, but I've been a hardcore fan and this was a studio produced cash in on some of the greatest actions names of all time. My 2 cents.