George Michael Live Blu (UK Disk) Won't Play in my USA PS3 (Disk IS Region Free Tho) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-15-2009, 05:37 AM

Thumbs down George Michael Live Blu (UK Disk) Won't Play in my USA PS3 (Disk IS Region Free Tho)

Hi all,

I got the GM: Live in London Blu from Amazon UK. I stick it in my PS3 and in the XMB it just says "BDMV Disk" (or similar), rather than the title of the disk and a preview icon of the title.

When I click play, the screen goes dark and that's it, nothing more and nothing less.

I've updated the firmware on my PS3, which made no difference and (here's the weird bit), I tried it on my PC using PowerDVD and (after an update!), it worked fine.

So the problem I'm left with is that my USA PS3 won't play my UK GM Live in London Blu.

I remembered reading reports that firmware updates had "killed" some Blu Ray dirives, so I tested a couple of disks that played fine-one was a USA disk of the Boston Celtics Championship winning season and the other was a UK disk (Grease) and both played fine, so the drive is working but it just won't play the GM disk.

I have checked the rear of the case and it says Regions A/B/C in that little triangular logo, so it's not a region code issue.

I'll also pop next door later and ask them if I can stick it on their UK Blu Ray player to see what happens there.

All thought/suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:48 AM

Some European discs have the main feature encoded in 1080i50 and some have intros or menu or both in 1080i50 or 576i (SD PAL) and those are not playable with US PS3, though such intros may be skippable depending on firmware version of the PS3.

Not sure about this particular disc though and in my previous experience PS3 was usually showing error notes when it couldn't play content on such discs.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Some European discs have the main feature encoded in 1080i50 and some have intros or menu or both in 1080i50 or 576i (SD PAL) and those are not playable with US PS3, though such intros may be skippable depending on firmware version of the PS3.

Not sure about this particular disc though and in my previous experience PS3 was usually showing error notes when it couldn't play content on such discs.
Thanks.

That's the weird thing, no error messages, nothing.

As I said, I'll nip to the neighbour's later and try it on their UK Blu player, but either way it's going to have to go back to Amazon and it looks like I'll have to get the USA version.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 AM

I had the Keane Live disc that had 50fps material and it wouldn't play any of it. There was no error on the screen. it would just freeze on my ps3.

I'm assuming that's the problem you're having.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
I had the Keane Live disc that had 50fps material and it wouldn't play any of it. There was no error on the screen. it would just freeze on my ps3.

I'm assuming that's the problem you're having.
Sounds like it, thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM

We have the US version and it plays in our PS3. BTW... the concert was excellent. Saw it live and the BD captures the experience well.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
We have the US version and it plays in our PS3. BTW... the concert was excellent. Saw it live and the BD captures the experience well.
Thanks, presumably yours is a USA PS3?

Agreed re the actual concert, we went to the original dates in London Xmas 07 and then again to Wembley Stadium summer 08.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM

I don't know a whole lot about the PS3, but it used to be able to skip past PAL trailers and such, but that was broken with 2.7?. I think after 3.0 or 3.1 you can again skip passed PAL trailers/menu. However, if this whole disc is in 1080i50, that wouldn't matter. Try just starting the main feature with the remote?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
I stick it in my PS3 and in the XMB it just says "BDMV Disk" (or similar), rather than the title of the disk and a preview icon of the title.
Some blu-ray discs do this anyway. I watched Dirty Harry over the weekend and it showed the same
Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM

when you hit play it might be playing trailers and you cannot see or hear them.
this would happen with some of my region b discs except on my player I get the audio only so I know it is a PAL trailer.
I know there are people that try to play region b discs, and since the screen goes blank and they can't hear or see anything, they become convinced it is a disc problem or that their player is not working.
what is actually happening sometimes is that these PAL trailers are actually playing fine.
try to skip them with ff (>>) and look at the time display on your PS3 to see if it changes when you try to ff.
if this is what is happening then just keep skipping them until a main menu hopefully loads, and then you should be able to watch the main feature.
if you can get to a main menu.