Extras won't play on my PS3 Slim for Transporter 1 French Edition - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Extras won't play on my PS3 Slim for Transporter 1 French Edition

See topic. This issue is bothering me all to hell.

I have the French import edition of the first Transporter movie and my only BD player is the PS3 Slim updated to its latest firmware.

The movie itself, the menu functionality, and everything else that is not a bonus feature works fine but when I try to click to watch a bonus feature from the menu, nothing happens. It just maybe freezes for a second and then resumes showing the animated menu of the BMW driving around.

It is like it does not want to show the SD content, maybe?

Someone tell me how to solve this if you have any ideas.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Former Member

PAL content. that one was easy.

your player won't play it. if you have a BH200, or a region B player, it might.

whenever an import will play the movie, but no extras, or few extras, it's due to them being PAL.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks so much - yeah, after I posted I accidentally read an import review of the UK Shawshank Redemption that mentioned the same and sort of guessed that to be the case in my situation.

BTW, what is special about the BH200 and how many of the special features on all these great imports are set up in PAL and thus unplayable like this for me?

Suddenly, the value of BD imports for me is dropping greatly if the extras can't be played and there is no Oppo-like region-less BD player out there for me to trade my PS3 Slim in for.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM

Also, BTW, I was just able to dig up an old Transporter 1 Japanese SD DVD release that I had buried under a bunch of crap. At least, I can watch the features on that with my SD DVD Oppo to get it over with - I was really in the mood to watch that Transporter "Muzik" hip-hop video bonus feature for some odd reason.

P.S. Just finished watching the HD main feature and the PQ for the actual Transporter French BD movie itself was excellent - extremely satisfying for a nervous and picky import guy like myself. I had much lower expectations and it pretty much surpassed them for every scene. Lot of great close-ups and camera pans that are full of detail. The style of the movie is really elevated with high-def, and the soundtrack is great through BD audio too.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Okay, just read about the BH200 and yeah, I remember that player - didn't know it could be made region-less til today. Still, normally I would get it on impulse but I'd rather wait. Hopefullly, Oppo will come out with something awesome soon that is not too expensive but will be region-less for both SD DVD/BD and have great SD upconversion with both PAL/NTSC playback.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM

So is it mainly only European BD movie imports that have PAL extras that won't play when most all of the Chinese/Japanese BD imports have bonus features that will play on a US BD player - or no?

I mean, how can one find out if the bonus features of an import BD will be able to play on a US BD player anyway?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM

the Oppo has a bootleg firmware that you can easily install that makes it so that you can play all regions and all PAL content.
also: on some bd players (like the Sharp player I bought used) you can install region B firmware on them and turn them into a region B player that also can play all PAL content.

you have to research each bd import on a case by case basis to find out if it has PAL extras.
some do, many don't.
once you know which web sites to visit you can pretty much find out about each one fairly easily.
the import section on HDD is imo the best bd import section on the web for a US based site.
haven't seen another one that comes close.
usually somebody on here will know about any release you are interested in.

this site here--
http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/
also often has "notes" that indicate whether or not the release has 50hz extras

Japanese releases mainly have NTSC extras because Japan itself uses the NTSC standard.
the main bd countries with PAL extras are France, Germany, and the UK.
France is probably overall the most problematic country for bd imports.
you have to really research each release carefully.
there are lots of releases with forced French subs as well as many locked titles.

Last edited by Arkadin; 10-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post
So is it mainly only European BD movie imports that have PAL extras that won't play when most all of the Chinese/Japanese BD imports have bonus features that will play on a US BD player - or no?

I mean, how can one find out if the bonus features of an import BD will be able to play on a US BD player anyway?
PAL extras are only practically only used in countries that use the PAL system, i.e. Europe and Australia, and mostly by smaller local studios (major Hollywood studio releases (Warner, Paramount, Fox, Sony etc.) in those countries tend to have extras in NTSC if not in HD).

As Arkadin said, it needs to be checked on title by title basis but quite often you can assume something based on the studio that has released the disc based on their other releases.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Imports are fun!. wait till you get one that is region free but has PAL menus or has 50hz encoding. The PS3 just won't even play it..
It won't stop me though as I plan on getting the OPPO or the LG BH 200 at some point..

has anybody tryed using french firmware on a US PS3. I was able to download it but don't want to try in fear I will lock it to region B. I'm guessing it won't work as the numbers are a few before the US so it may just say wrong region or firmware out of date
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Yeah, region A PS3 (if not from Hong Kong) is not really the best player for European imports as it's quite restrictive with PAL and 50hz content. I've been much happier with my LG BD370 as that manages to convert everything to formats my TV can support and everything now works (except for the region locks). The one downside with BD370 is that it has a long pause at layer break point (for 2-3 s) on home made BD-R DL discs while PS3 didn't have that at all.