dvdbeaver Review: French bd "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Default dvdbeaver Review: French bd "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

review deleted by HDD.

sounds good, but I'm still a little confused about this bd which reflects the 2005 "extended" version.
the original us version was apparently 142 minutes, but longer versions were released in other countries.
Does this longer runtime reflect the correct longer film or are the additions of "deleted" scenes revisionist crap?
anybody know?

Last edited by Arkadin; 10-27-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 PM

I was hoping for the theatrical version. IMO the scenes added to the extended version are poor quality and bad for the film.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM

The forum comments about the European release in AVS forum and in some online shops are generally bad with regards to PQ. According to those it looks significantly worse than Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More (no English) that were released in Italy. Some fairly strong DNR may have been applied.

I've got mine on the way from Hong Kong where it was released by Deltamac some days ago, I think it's very likely the same encode with some distribution deal with MGM/Fox but I figured I'd order it from there since I had something else to order at the same time and I'd like to get it earlier. I hope it's better than they say.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I was hoping for the theatrical version. IMO the scenes added to the extended version are poor quality and bad for the film.
I'm still looking for clarification regarding this.
Originally there were theatrical versions in other countries that were much longer than the version released in the US.
Does this "extended" version reflect those other theatrical versions?
I'm also a little confused by these negative forum comments regarding this bd.
This review sounded quite good.
Are people saying that this review is way off or something?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I'm still looking for clarification regarding this.
Originally there were theatrical versions in other countries that were much longer than the version released in the US.
Does this "extended" version reflect those other theatrical versions?
I'm also a little confused by these negative forum comments regarding this bd.
This review sounded quite good.
Are people saying that this review is way off or something?
I got my Hong Kong disc in today. It's the same Fox/MGM release that was released e.g. in Germany already I think, just distributed in HK by Deltamac. The good thing is that covers are entirely in English, normal thin case. The disc is BD+ protected, I'm not sure about the region code as AnyDVD HD can't determine it but I think it's region free as it works regardless of what region I select manually with AnyDVD HD. Would also make sense for it to be region free if they use the same disc image in Europe. The back of the case has an A region symbol though.

Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, English 2.0 mono, German 5.1 DTS, Portuguese 5.1 DD, Italian 2.0 Mono, Spanish 5.1 DD, Thai 2.0 DD
Subtitles: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai, Korean, German, Portuguese, Spanish

There is an extra "Reconstructing The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" that explains what they did when they restored the movie in 2002. It seems they added back the 17 minutes that were originally removed from the U.S. version and additionally they put back one scene that was originally in an Italian premiere version but was also removed from later Italian release. So this cut should be pretty close to the Italian version that was first shown in an Italian premiere. An interesting point was that there didn't exist English audio for the added scenes so they had asked Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach to newly do voice parts for those scenes almost 40 years later and some other actor was found to do missing parts for Lee Van Cleef.

This page also explains a bit about the restoration:
http://dvdspindoctor.typepad.com/good_bad_ugly/

I checked the disc on my player and sure enough it's not quite as good looking presentation as those Italian releases of Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More. Even the dark scenes look grain free so I guess some kind of grain filtering has been applied at some part of the process. The image is quite often pretty soft and the colors are fairly flat and dull. There are much better looking sharp & detailed scenes too though, but overall it didn't impress by PQ in my initial sampling.

Last edited by kannisto; 04-24-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM

thanks for that info.
I really appreciate it.
disc sounds pretty good, but it is a shame it is not as good as the others.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I got my Hong Kong disc in today. It's the same Fox/MGM release that was released e.g. in Germany already I think, just distributed in HK by Deltamac. The good thing is that covers are entirely in English, normal thin case. The disc is BD+ protected, I'm not sure about the region code as AnyDVD HD can't determine it but I think it's region free as it works regardless of what region I select manually with AnyDVD HD. Would also make sense for it to be region free if they use the same disc image in Europe. The back of the case has an A region symbol though.

I checked the disc on my player and sure enough it's not quite as good looking presentation as those Italian releases of Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More. Even the dark scenes look grain free so I guess some kind of grain filtering has been applied at some part of the process. The image is quite often pretty soft and the colors are fairly flat and dull. There are much better looking sharp & detailed scenes too though, but overall it didn't impress by PQ in my initial sampling.
That's disappointing - sounds like we can expect the US release to be the same transfer? I was going to pre-order it from Amazon, but I think I'll wait for some reviews and member impressions.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
That's disappointing - sounds like we can expect the US release to be the same transfer? I was going to pre-order it from Amazon, but I think I'll wait for some reviews and member impressions.
I'm quite sure it will be the same transfer. I'll post some screencaps here soon.

These are pics of the case (quick handheld shots so some not perfectly sharp):

Interestingly the disc itself has a region ABC marking on it although the back of the case says A. I think ABC is correct. I just noticed this discrepancy.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 PM

Screencaps #1:

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM

Screencaps #2: