Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast
    kannisto is offline Imports enthusiast

Default Introduction

This thread is a work in progress. I'm working towards listing all "especially relevant" import Blu-ray titles (non-U.S. releases) from all key import source regions.

Please use this thread for import title discussion / questions / new information / feedback on these listings. Of course new separate threads on individual import titles / topics can be created as well.

I have separated the listings from this original thread for now because of technical problems with the forum that started to make it very difficult to maintain the title listings as part of the original thread. The listings are in a separate closed thread here.

The format for each title in the listings is as follows:

Title (Country - Distributor) (Release date if known)
    shop_link1 shop_link2 shop_link3
    Audio: List of audio languages
    Subtitles: List of subtitle languages
    Region: code or all possible codes (A | B | C | Free), ? if not confirmed
    Notes: additional notes if any

Note that | stands for "or" in the region list and in audio list it indicates mixed language audio.
    Title also works as a link to IMDB for the entry in question.

Because including every non-U.S. Blu-ray disc release in the list would be too much work, I'm using certain criteria to choose which titles to include. I'm specifically focusing on movie releases and skipping most variety content (music, travel, documentaries, TV shows etc.). I'm also skipping some "obscure" content, especially if not English friendly. The idea is to primarily include all content that may be most interesting to the importers in this forum.

Status so far:
    Japanese Title list: 156 titles. Last updated: 18-Mar-2009.
    Nordic Title list: 104 titles. Last updated: 27-Mar-2009.
    French Title list: 251 titles. Last updated: 25-May-2009.
    German Title list: 254 titles. Last updated: 6-May-2009.
    UK Title list: 235 titles. Last updated: 20-Apr-2009.
    Combined Title list: 925 titles. Last updated: 27-Mar-2009.

References:
    Watch Impress list of Japanese Blu-ray releases (in Japanese).
    Asian Blu-ray Guide, a great source for information on Asian movies and Anime.
    DVDFR, French releases.
    Cinefacts, German releases.

Blu-ray region code information:
    Global: http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/
    UK: http://www.blu-raystats.com/AmazonUK/index.php

List of 1080i/50 (25 fps) encoded releases:
    AVS Forum thread

Thanks to everybody who has contributed information to the list!
    Last edited by kannisto; 05-25-2009 at 05:25 AM.

DCSholtis is offline Member

Shawshank Redemption (UK-ITV) 9/28/08
    AmazonUK
    All Regions
    Language: English
    Subtitles or Audio info as yet.
    Last edited by DCSholtis; 09-04-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post
    Shawshank Redemption (UK-ITV) 9/28/08
    AmazonUK
    All Regions
    Language: English
    Subtitles or Audio info as yet.
    Shawshank Redemption is already available for pre-order in Japan (release date here is 5th of November) as well and Warner Japan published info on the specs and extras (in Japanese) here:

http://www.whv.jp/database/database.cgi?cmd=dp&num=8321

English TrueHD 5.1 audio. Only English and Japanese audio / subtitles listed but this could well be another one of those with hidden language and subtitle tracks that only show up depending on player's menu language selection, with the Japanese and European releases containing the same disc image.

Autotranslated extras list:
    Making
    Documentary
    Interview: Charlie Rose Show
    Short: The SharkTank Redemption
    Steel Gallery / storyboard (Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and other cast, Tim Morgan & the shooting scene at the storyboard)
    Collection SHOSHANKU
    Original Theatrical trailers

Speech Award…
    Audio commentary with director Frank DARABON
    It's going to be on a 50 GB disc which is good.

UK might be getting it first then...

I added more Japanese import titles, up until and including titles released by end of June 2008. Let me know if some especially relevant Japanese import exclusive releases are missing (among those released by end of June). After covering all top Japanese import titles I'll start adding other countries' import releases.

Also if anybody has confirmed region coding information on those titles where the provided info is not definite (i.e. A | All), please post a note. I haven't scanned those titles from all region code lists yet.

The Kite Runner and Iskariot started shipping today from megastore.se. I had pre-ordered them and they seemed to become available with some delay. I got the shipping notice e-mails for both today. Iskariot does not appear to be English friendly and I'm not sure whether there's much multi-lingual dialogue on The Kite Runner.

http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=1973608
    http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=1990724

ahsoka is offline Member

The following Japanese BDs are region free:
    5 Centimeters per Second
    Arthur and the Minimoys
    Earth
    Kung-Fu Hustle
    Place Promised in Our Early Days (The)

Region coded A:
    Brave Story

In case these movies will be added to the list, they are all region free:
    Gegege no Kitaro
    Giniro no Season
    Cowboy Bebop The Movie
    FLAG
    .hack//G.U. Trilogy
    Perect Blue
    Escaflowne The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by ahsoka View Post
    The following Japanese BDs are region free:
    5 Centimeters per Second
    Arthur and the Minimoys
    Earth
    Kung-Fu Hustle
    Place Promised in Our Early Days (The)

Region coded A:
    Brave Story

In case these movies will be added to the list, they are all region free:
    Gegege no Kitaro
    Giniro no Season
    Cowboy Bebop The Movie
    FLAG
    .hack//G.U. Trilogy
    Perect Blue
    Escaflowne The Movie
    Thanks for the info! With regards to Bandai Visual releases, since there are so many of them and plenty more coming I figured I would include in the thread mainly just those that they've released with English subs. I skipped Perfect Blue for lack of English subs as well. Anyway, I'd still like to include those that are especially interesting even if they lack subs. I'm not a big expert on Anime titles though so it's a bit difficult to judge which ones are really key-imports even without subs. I'll try to include all of the items from your region list.

Kimba1970 is offline Member
    Udine - 1 hour from Venice (the one in Italy)

Kannisto, great to see you working also on the forum section of Blu-Ray Imports: I am sure you are going to do a great job as you did on HD DVD section before.

In the meanwhile I have ordered "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" (belive me or not from the same director of "La Sconosciuta" ) and "Trainspotting" on VM Japan from which I did get, by the way, great service and a quite good price..

I found a failed delivery note from the express courier today so I should able to get them shortly : I post impressions as soon as possible on PQ and AQ.

Cheers.
    HD DVD - 186 disks
    BLU RAY - 160 disk

XBOX 360 + HD DVD Add on - Games 92
    PS3 40 GB - Games 10

50'' Samsung DLP TV SP50L6HX + ONKYO HTX-22HD 5+1

Additionally I have found this pages to be quite helpful when it comes to check the region coding of a disk : I have purchased several Blu-Rays on the base of the indications found there without any problem.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/
    http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=50447

The first page is mainly useful for European purchasers since it refers to USA, Japanese and Korean releases, the second one is more complete since it takes in consideration all the regions, even if it's updated less often..

I hope it helps.
    HD DVD - 186 disks
    BLU RAY - 160 disk

PS3 40 GB - Games 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
    Kannisto, great to see you working also on the forum section of Blu-Ray Imports: I am sure you are going to do a great job as you did on HD DVD section before.

In the meanwhile I have ordered "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" (belive me or not from the same director of "La Sconosciuta" ) and "Trainspotting" on VM Japan from which I did get, by the way, great service and a quite good price..

I found a failed delivery note from the express courier today so I should able to get them shortly : I post impressions as soon as possible on PQ and AQ.

Cheers.
    Thanks Kimba1970 I've been eyeing that "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" too as I know it's a very highly appreciated movie and directed by Tornatore but I figured it may be a quite difficult to follow without English subs. I'm not too good with reading of Japanese subs. Would be very interested in your impressions on the quality of the disc, if it's pretty strong I may get it regardless of the language challenge. Would be a good opportunity to experiment more with external subs too. Trainspotting I already have in my collection too. Which shop did you mean by VM Japan, HMV?

Looking forward on your impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
    Additionally I have found this pages to be quite helpful when it comes to check the region coding of a disk : I have purchased several Blu-Rays on the base of the indications found there without any problem.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/
    http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=50447

The first page is mainly useful for European purchasers since it refers to USA, Japanese and Korean releases, the second one is more complete since it takes in consideration all the regions, even if it's updated less often..

I hope it helps.
    I've been aware of the first list but didn't know about the 2nd one, thanks for the info!

I didn't usually check the region info much before ordering discs from Europe because I have some ways to play region B titles too but while working on the imports title list I'll need to start referring more to the region code info lists.

I think we'll need also a FAQ type of sticky here with links to importing related information and info on shops but I'm going to focus first on the title list which will take quite much time in the first creation phase.

Quote Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
    Which shop did you mean by VM Japan, HMV?
    Yes , sorry I mistyped. I should get the movie within one or two days. I will surely post impressions.

Take care.
    HD DVD - 186 disks
    BLU RAY - 160 disk

PS3 40 GB - Games 10

Default Need Help - New User

Hi am a new user here. I am having a terrible time figuring this site out; not sure why. I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new thread. Can someone let me know how to do this?

Sorry to crash your import discussion with this query but in fact the import discussion is exactly what I am after, so I came here.

My BIG question is whether there will be a picture difference if I import a Blu_Ray from the US or buy one domestically in Australia. I am well-versed in the whole region-free debate; my concern is with the actual picture itself. To provide a little context to this, I can only find Blu-Ray reviews that cover the American releases and I am afraid that if I pick up the Australian copy of that title the quality may not match what I expect based on a review of the American version.

In other words, is the same Men in Black sold in Australia IDENTICAL to the Men in Black sold in the USA (my only concern is PQ and AQ- special features are not an issue). Or do Sony of Australia and Sony of America each create their own version, possibly with different codecs and an overall different picture.

If anyone knows an answer to this (not just relative to Sony or Men in Black), I would be grateful to know. In fact I won't buy any Blu-Rays in AUstralia until I do know this as I have no legitimate source for a review.

I would also like to start a more visible discussion about this issue- the nuances of importing titles in a region-free market (not quite there, but getting there). Importing can be a risk so I think it would be good if somehow such a discussion could be started.

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by noodles_are_food View Post
    Hi am a new user here. I am having a terrible time figuring this site out; not sure why. I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new thread. Can someone let me know how to do this?

Sorry to crash your import discussion with this query but in fact the import discussion is exactly what I am after, so I came here.

My BIG question is whether there will be a picture difference if I import a Blu_Ray from the US or buy one domestically in Australia. I am well-versed in the whole region-free debate; my concern is with the actual picture itself. To provide a little context to this, I can only find Blu-Ray reviews that cover the American releases and I am afraid that if I pick up the Australian copy of that title the quality may not match what I expect based on a review of the American version.

In other words, is the same Men in Black sold in Australia IDENTICAL to the Men in Black sold in the USA (my only concern is PQ and AQ- special features are not an issue). Or do Sony of Australia and Sony of America each create their own version, possibly with different codecs and an overall different picture.

If anyone knows an answer to this (not just relative to Sony or Men in Black), I would be grateful to know. In fact I won't buy any Blu-Rays in AUstralia until I do know this as I have no legitimate source for a review.

I would also like to start a more visible discussion about this issue- the nuances of importing titles in a region-free market (not quite there, but getting there). Importing can be a risk so I think it would be good if somehow such a discussion could be started.

Thanks in advance...
    Hi there and welcome to the forum!

There should be a relatively big "New Thread" button on the screen above the thread listings when you are in a forum's thread list view. I guess if that is not visible for you it might be because of some restriction on new users who have not posted enough posts yet (I don't recall exactly but there might be some kind of limit like that as there is one regarding posting URLs as well). At least the URLs posting limit is lifted after 10 posts...

Regarding your question about whether Australian discs would be the same as the U.S. counterparts - it depends quite much on whether it is the same studio releasing the disc in Australia as it is in the U.S. If it is e.g. Warner, Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox etc. both in the U.S. and in Australia, it is highly likely that they have used the same video encode on both U.S. and Australian releases. Usually the studios always use the same video encode in their releases in various countries, but if another studio has released the same movie in different country, the video encode is quite likely a bit different also. Sometimes Australian discs may be the same as European releases, containing audio tracks and subtitles in more languages than in the U.S.

A discussion of nuances of importing discs in general is very welcome here

kennerado is offline Member

thanks so much for this thread.

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast