Info on import Blu-ray titles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Introduction

This thread is a work in progress. I'm working towards listing all "especially relevant" import Blu-ray titles (non-U.S. releases) from all key import source regions.

Please use this thread for import title discussion / questions / new information / feedback on these listings. Of course new separate threads on individual import titles / topics can be created as well.

I have separated the listings from this original thread for now because of technical problems with the forum that started to make it very difficult to maintain the title listings as part of the original thread. The listings are in a separate closed thread here.

The format for each title in the listings is as follows:

Title (Country - Distributor) (Release date if known)
shop_link1 shop_link2 shop_link3
Audio: List of audio languages
Subtitles: List of subtitle languages
Region: code or all possible codes (A | B | C | Free), ? if not confirmed
Notes: additional notes if any

Note that | stands for "or" in the region list and in audio list it indicates mixed language audio.
Title also works as a link to IMDB for the entry in question.

Because including every non-U.S. Blu-ray disc release in the list would be too much work, I'm using certain criteria to choose which titles to include. I'm specifically focusing on movie releases and skipping most variety content (music, travel, documentaries, TV shows etc.). I'm also skipping some "obscure" content, especially if not English friendly. The idea is to primarily include all content that may be most interesting to the importers in this forum.

Status so far:
Japanese Title list: 156 titles. Last updated: 18-Mar-2009.
Nordic Title list: 104 titles. Last updated: 27-Mar-2009.
French Title list: 251 titles. Last updated: 25-May-2009.
German Title list: 254 titles. Last updated: 6-May-2009.
UK Title list: 235 titles. Last updated: 20-Apr-2009.
Combined Title list: 925 titles. Last updated: 27-Mar-2009.

References:
Watch Impress list of Japanese Blu-ray releases (in Japanese).
Asian Blu-ray Guide, a great source for information on Asian movies and Anime.
DVDFR, French releases.
Cinefacts, German releases.

Blu-ray region code information:
Global: http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/
UK: http://www.blu-raystats.com/AmazonUK/index.php

List of 1080i/50 (25 fps) encoded releases:
AVS Forum thread

Thanks to everybody who has contributed information to the list!

Last edited by kannisto; 05-25-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Shawshank Redemption (UK-ITV) 9/28/08
AmazonUK
All Regions
Language: English
Subtitles or Audio info as yet.

Last edited by DCSholtis; 09-04-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post
Shawshank Redemption (UK-ITV) 9/28/08
AmazonUK
All Regions
Language: English
Subtitles or Audio info as yet.
Shawshank Redemption is already available for pre-order in Japan (release date here is 5th of November) as well and Warner Japan published info on the specs and extras (in Japanese) here:

http://www.whv.jp/database/database.cgi?cmd=dp&num=8321

English TrueHD 5.1 audio. Only English and Japanese audio / subtitles listed but this could well be another one of those with hidden language and subtitle tracks that only show up depending on player's menu language selection, with the Japanese and European releases containing the same disc image.

Autotranslated extras list:
Quote:
Making
Documentary
Interview: Charlie Rose Show
Short: The SharkTank Redemption
Steel Gallery / storyboard (Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and other cast, Tim Morgan & the shooting scene at the storyboard)
Collection SHOSHANKU
Original Theatrical trailers

Speech Award…
Audio commentary with director Frank DARABON
It's going to be on a 50 GB disc which is good.

UK might be getting it first then...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 AM

I added more Japanese import titles, up until and including titles released by end of June 2008. Let me know if some especially relevant Japanese import exclusive releases are missing (among those released by end of June). After covering all top Japanese import titles I'll start adding other countries' import releases.

Also if anybody has confirmed region coding information on those titles where the provided info is not definite (i.e. A | All), please post a note. I haven't scanned those titles from all region code lists yet.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 AM

The Kite Runner and Iskariot started shipping today from megastore.se. I had pre-ordered them and they seemed to become available with some delay. I got the shipping notice e-mails for both today. Iskariot does not appear to be English friendly and I'm not sure whether there's much multi-lingual dialogue on The Kite Runner.

http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=1973608
http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=1990724
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM

The following Japanese BDs are region free:
5 Centimeters per Second
Arthur and the Minimoys
Earth
Kung-Fu Hustle
Place Promised in Our Early Days (The)

Region coded A:
Brave Story

In case these movies will be added to the list, they are all region free:
Gegege no Kitaro
Giniro no Season
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
FLAG
.hack//G.U. Trilogy
Perect Blue
Escaflowne The Movie
Old 09-05-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsoka View Post
The following Japanese BDs are region free:
5 Centimeters per Second
Arthur and the Minimoys
Earth
Kung-Fu Hustle
Place Promised in Our Early Days (The)

Region coded A:
Brave Story

In case these movies will be added to the list, they are all region free:
Gegege no Kitaro
Giniro no Season
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
FLAG
.hack//G.U. Trilogy
Perect Blue
Escaflowne The Movie
Thanks for the info! With regards to Bandai Visual releases, since there are so many of them and plenty more coming I figured I would include in the thread mainly just those that they've released with English subs. I skipped Perfect Blue for lack of English subs as well. Anyway, I'd still like to include those that are especially interesting even if they lack subs. I'm not a big expert on Anime titles though so it's a bit difficult to judge which ones are really key-imports even without subs. I'll try to include all of the items from your region list.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 AM

Kannisto, great to see you working also on the forum section of Blu-Ray Imports: I am sure you are going to do a great job as you did on HD DVD section before.

In the meanwhile I have ordered "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" (belive me or not from the same director of "La Sconosciuta" ) and "Trainspotting" on VM Japan from which I did get, by the way, great service and a quite good price..

I found a failed delivery note from the express courier today so I should able to get them shortly : I post impressions as soon as possible on PQ and AQ.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 AM

Additionally I have found this pages to be quite helpful when it comes to check the region coding of a disk : I have purchased several Blu-Rays on the base of the indications found there without any problem.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=50447

The first page is mainly useful for European purchasers since it refers to USA, Japanese and Korean releases, the second one is more complete since it takes in consideration all the regions, even if it's updated less often..

I hope it helps.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
Kannisto, great to see you working also on the forum section of Blu-Ray Imports: I am sure you are going to do a great job as you did on HD DVD section before.

In the meanwhile I have ordered "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" (belive me or not from the same director of "La Sconosciuta" ) and "Trainspotting" on VM Japan from which I did get, by the way, great service and a quite good price..

I found a failed delivery note from the express courier today so I should able to get them shortly : I post impressions as soon as possible on PQ and AQ.

Cheers.
Thanks Kimba1970 I've been eyeing that "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" too as I know it's a very highly appreciated movie and directed by Tornatore but I figured it may be a quite difficult to follow without English subs. I'm not too good with reading of Japanese subs. Would be very interested in your impressions on the quality of the disc, if it's pretty strong I may get it regardless of the language challenge. Would be a good opportunity to experiment more with external subs too. Trainspotting I already have in my collection too. Which shop did you mean by VM Japan, HMV?

Looking forward on your impressions!