Anyone Own Afro Samurai on Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Anyone Own Afro Samurai on Blu-Ray?

Seen a couple episodes and liked them. Seen it on xploited for 60 dollars, so basically I was hoping to get some opinions on whether its worth it or not, and what your opinions of it were. Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 PM

I've got the HD-DVD but it's the exact same disc. I definately think it's worth it. There are rumors that it's only a 1080i disc but unfortunately I have no way of checking that. So far it's been heavily suspected but not confirmed. Either way the picture quality is amazing, one of the best looking animated discs I've seen. The only one that comes to mind as definately better would The Triplets of Belleville HD-DVD from France. I don't have any sort of surround sound set up yet but the disc contains both a Dolby TrueHD track and a DTS-HD Master Audio track so I can't imagine that it sounds bad.

I'm not sure how much you know about the series but there are two versions in the U.S. and the Japanese disc isn't either of those two versions. There is the 5 episode version that aired on Spike TV and then the 5 episode Director's Cut with extended footage (more blood, nudity, etc.). I have the U.S. Director's Cut and I've watched it once about six months ago. The Japanese disc is the 112 minute Japanese theatrical version with no episodes. I have been meaning to watch my copy of the Director's Cut simultaneously with the Japanese HD-DVD to confirm that the HD-DVD is the Director's Cut with no episodes but I just haven't found the time to do that yet. But if my memory serves me correctly I'm 99% sure that the Japanese disc is the Director's Cut. Either way I enjoyed the Japanese presentation much more than either of the 5 episode versions. This series is so fast paced that episodes really ruin the flow so to have all the footage uninterrupted is a huge bonus in my eyes. Even if this gets released in the U.S. on Blu-ray it would be in episode form so I think that this import is a 100% safe investment because it has the best presentation of the series that we will never see domestically.

So basically if you like adult themed anime and don't say "ewwww" when you see an animated boob this disc is a very good buy
Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I will be picking this up sometime next week. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM

I actually just watched this tonight on SD-DVD, and it was the 5 episode version. I definitely agree with you that it breaks up the continuity and momentum of the presentation. One thing I know though, much like melo, I'm really dying to get my hands on a copy of this in high-definition (would prefer Blu-ray, but if the right deal for HD DVD was there I'd snap it up).

Great write up, Jester217300. Thanks for sharing, especially in outlining the different versions. Melo, if you wouldn't mind, could you post your impressions of the Blu-ray once you buy it? I'd just like to hear your impressions before I pulled the trigger. If not, no big deal.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm glad both of you found what I posted helpful For more information below is a link to the HD-DVD discussion thread of the disc. Just to be clear the HD-DVD and the Blu-ray are the same disc so everything discussed about the HD-DVD will apply to the Blu-ray.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=44683
Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 AM

Melo, I see that you use DVDAF to categorize your collection. I have added Afro Samurai Blu-ray to the database with the correct scanned cover. You should be able to move it into your collection with no problem. See the listing here
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
Melo, I see that you use DVDAF to categorize your collection. I have added Afro Samurai Blu-ray to the database with the correct scanned cover. You should be able to move it into your collection with no problem. See the listing here
Awesome, I actually noticed the cover was wrong. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
I'm glad both of you found what I posted helpful For more information below is a link to the HD-DVD discussion thread of the disc. Just to be clear the HD-DVD and the Blu-ray are the same disc so everything discussed about the HD-DVD will apply to the Blu-ray.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=44683
Missed reading that thread by kannisto. Thank you again, Jester.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripture View Post
Missed reading that thread by kannisto. Thank you again, Jester.
No problem Here are the high-res cover images that I put together. I don't know if anyone wants them but this might be the easiest way to get a non-watermarked pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Own Afro Samurai on Blu-Ray?-afrobd.jpg   Anyone Own Afro Samurai on Blu-Ray?-afrobd2.jpg