Neverending Story original 102min German cut on Blu-ray Sep 2013 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Neverending Story original 102min German cut on Blu-ray Sep 2013

Below is a translated portion of the news from http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-ne...y-disc-release

"The international version of Wolfgang Petersen's "The Neverending Story" (Germany, United States, 1984), is merely a shortened version compared to the German version of the classic cut, only appeared in last year's sale of the Universum Film on Blu-ray disc. Although the independent has improved some things and used the soundtrack composed by Klaus Doldinger, 8 minutes are still missing in this version of the film. But why was "The Neverending Story" so far not published uncut? In 1984 the unfortunate idea came to cut the film for international distribution and the original 35mm negatives were used. Therefore, this long version so far is not available for high-definition scanning.

However CinePostproduction (CPP) has devoted themselves to this immense task and the original negative of the international version and the Intermed positive (DUP-positive) of the uncut version is used and only the material that was missing in the international version is taken positive from the Intermed and digitally scanned at 3k. As a result CPP has changed about 150 parts to the movie and reconverted it to its original form the uncut German version which has not been seen for 30 years."

Very exciting news. Not only will the movie be presented in its original 102min form but CinePostproduction are scanning the new master from the original negatives with only the missing 8 minutes coming from the duplicate positive. They are also using the original colour grading.

There is extensive details of the project on CinePostproduction's website:

http://www.cinepostproduction.de/?cat=8&news=292

This restored edition has been released on DVD in a boxset "Bernd Eichinger - Die DVD-Kollektion":

http://www.amazon.de/Bernd-Eichinger...3653147&sr=1-1

Last edited by zzap64; 03-18-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Exciting stuff and I notice that "Name Of The Rose" is getting a similar DVD treatment.

The article is a cautionary tale about the pitfalls of not archiving original material in a more permanent, incorruptible way to allow future restoration and, indirectly, how revisionist ideas (ie home video release iterations) can mean the original no longer exists in any form.

Just imagine what could be done if all movies were duped to Technicolor for preservation. Sadly, it seems like the film industry effectively repeated the BBC's mistakes with video and society misses out.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Below are comparison screenshots between the US Blu-ray and the CinePostproduction remaster:

US Blu-ray

CinePostproduction remaster

US Blu-ray

CinePostproduction remaster

Last edited by zzap64; 03-25-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 AM

I don't know, the remaster looks much too bright and artificial and just "off" somehow.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro4x View Post
I don't know, the remaster looks much too bright and artificial and just "off" somehow.
In my option the scene with the Ivory Tower looks much better on the remaster but the darker scene with Morla looks better on the US Blu-ray release. Overall I believe the remaster is much closer to how the film was originally intended to look. The US Blu-ray release is simply too dark in most scenes. I am looking forward to seeing the extra 8 minutes footage and hearing the complete Klaus Doldinger soundtrack. Hopefully the German Blu-ray release in September also has the English audio track.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 AM

I guess it's better to have an encode too bright as it is easier to wind that back with display controls, than to brighten something that has clipped dark detail.

Nevertheless, I think somewhere between the two contrast levels would probably have looked best.

The Morla scene does look better in the US version because I think it reflects the gloomy swamps as I imagine them.

From reading the original article, I'm not sure if any accurate references from the original film still exist, so it is likely even the remaster is going to be a guess.

Nevertheless, looking forward to a more complete version.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 AM

This is one of my top 3 childhood nostalgia films, so I'll be checking this out at some point for sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM

zzap64 can you show the source were it actually says this will be released on blu-ray in september 2013 because from what i can see this is just a collection of dvds released in a german boxset in september 2012, nothing to do with blu-ray im afraid.

If you click the CinePostproduction link you showed then click english in the top right corner you will see that it says '' The Bernd Eichinger edition, which includes The NeverEnding Story as well as other movie greats restored at CinePostproduction, such as The Name of the Rose and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, will be released on 6 December 2012 ''

I would love to see this restored for blu-ray also, but as it is the german cut of the film i am not sure if the english audio would work because of the extra footage, unless it had both cuts on the disc. Perhaps people need to email CinePostproduction to do a blu-ray release.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Bernd Eichinger is a producer of some very well known films and tv.

It's a 10-movie boxset from the looks of it though. Google's translate (and myself) says:

1) Christiane F. - (1981) move about drugs in Berlin
2) Neverending Story - self explanatory
3) Last Exit To Brooklyn - 1989
4) The Haunted House - aka The House of the Spirits (1993)
5) The Girl Rosemarie - A Girl Called Rosemarie [1996 tv movie]
6) Smilla's Sense of Snow - self explanatory
7) The Name of the Rose - self explanatory
8) The Fall - Downfall (2004)
9) The Perfume - The 2006 movie Perfume:The Story of a Murderer. Stars Dustin Hoffman
10) The Baader Meinhof Complex - 2008 movie

See Eichinger's filmography.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 AM

The German cut Blu-ray of Die unendliche Geschichte The Neverending Story is available for preorder. It includes both the original English audio and German dub and is 102 minutes compared to 94 minutes of the original Blu-ray release of the theatrical cut. It will be released on 26 September 2013.

http://www.amazon.de/unendliche-Gesc...che+geschichte