Werner Herzog's Nosferatu (France) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Werner Herzog's Nosferatu (France)

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003...bluraycom05-21

One of my very favourite Herzog films is undoubtedly is the atmospheric and chilling remake of the FW Murnau classic Nosferatu. Herzog's remake by a brilliant use of cinematography and musical score manages to depict evil in a way that few other films within the horror genre have come close to doing.
It has a dreamlike and haunting quality that long stays in the mind of the viewer afterwards....

Video
Video codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Video resolution: 1080p
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio

French: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 ONLY

Subtitles
French SDH

Discs
50GB Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD)

Despite having no English audio or subs, I am very tempted to still pick this one up.
Only just now available from Amazon-fr and for a very reasonable 15 euros...

Last edited by The Limey; 09-30-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Klaus Kinski FTW!
One of my favorites as well from the great Herzog. And the cover is f**cking brilliant! The original artwork was of course very cool, but this is just beautiful. No English track is very disappointing indeed.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post

Klaus Kinski FTW!
One of my favorites as well from the great Herzog. And the cover is f**cking brilliant! The original artwork was of course very cool, but this is just beautiful. No English track is very disappointing indeed.
E,

I have gone ahead and bought this. The film's strength is its visual imagery and superlative score which work in combination like few others. The dialogue I know well enough already...
Really, really looking forward for this to arrive now.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
E,

I have gone ahead and bought this. The film's strength is its visual imagery and superlative score which work in combination like few others. The dialogue I know well enough already...
Really, really looking forward for this to arrive now.
wow Limey you are on a unique level of film viewing i doubt i'll ever visit. i love the movie as well but could never watch a picture where i didn't know the track or subtitled language. good for you man.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Not English friendly =
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM

yeah apparently they only had the rights for the international version that is in French.
and they didn't have the rights to use English subs for whatever reason.
very sad news.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
wow Limey you are on a unique level of film viewing i doubt i'll ever visit. i love the movie as well but could never watch a picture where i didn't know the track or subtitled language. good for you man.

Well it depends on the film. Nosferatu is a film that is a visual feast and dialogue plays second fiddle really, knowing the film well makes this decision even easier. The last time that I did this was with the Mondo version of For A Few Diollars More on . There was a film with no English audio or subs but I have watched this disc probably about 10 times in 2 years because I know the dialogue well but again a visually strong film, with a great score. A good transfer helped too which is a shame about the later versions on

However, a film where I could not do this though was The Name Of The Rose which is very heavy on conversation and despite knowing that well, it would have still been a waste of tiome to pick it up without English audio or subs.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM

Wow, great find! Yeah, I'm on the fence about getting regardless of the subtitles. Hell, I own the French Director's Cut of Killing Zoe and that doesn't have subtitles for any of the French parts, but growing up I had the VHS and lasersic, so I'd already internalized it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Wow, great find! Yeah, I'm on the fence about getting regardless of the subtitles. Hell, I own the French Director's Cut of Killing Zoe and that doesn't have subtitles for any of the French parts, but growing up I had the VHS and lasersic, so I'd already internalized it.
Then you should be ok with it. This is a film of stunning visuals with many lengthy pieces devoid of conversation:

The amazing approach to Castle Dracula with the Popol Vuh soundtrack morphing into the Das Rheingold Prelude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAI9kALWss&feature=related
The doomed ship at sea and its arrival at the town which is about to experience what a visit from the Nosferatu really entails....

The horde of rats descending into the town and Kinski's placing of his coffins at strategic locations around the town (Das Rheingold again)
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 AM

Totally, Limey. I had the old non-anamorphic special edition dvd with the German and English language version. I gotta wait for the next Amazon French Group Buy.