The Railway Children: 40th Anniversary (Digitally Remastered) 3rd of May (UK) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Default The Railway Children: 40th Anniversary (Digitally Remastered) 3rd of May (UK)

Another classic film gets remastered for the treatment.
This from the Daily Telegraph:

Daily Telegraph
by Anita Singh,
Showbusiness Editor:

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN, the film which has enchanted generations of viewers, is to be restored and re-released in cinemas after 40 years.

The adaptation of E. Nesbitt's classic tale, starring Jenny Agutter and Bernard Cribbins, is a regular fixture in the Christmas television schedules.

It was originally released in 1970 and the film will return to cinemas again next Easter, taking on the might of Hollywood blockbusters including Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND and the 45million remake of CLASH OF THE TITANS.

The film is to be digitally restored, a painstaking process that involves taking the original negatives, scanning and colour-correcting each frame, and enhancing the original soundtrack.

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN is one of several films from the British Library Archive at Pinewood Studios that will receive the restoration treatment next year. Another will be KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, the 1949 Ealing comedy featuring Sir Alec Guiness.

John Rudden of Optimum Releasing, which manages the archive, said he was confident the old-fashioned tale would appeal to a new generation of children raised on modern offerings from the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks, with their state-of-the-art special effects.

"I think it will definitely stand up to modern releases," he said. "If you look at Pixar films, they are all about the story. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN is a classic British children's story. People connect with it and the demand for it on DVD remains high after all these years.

"It is for parents who grew up with it and loved it and want to introduce their own children to the film."

The film is likely to have its premiere at the Bradford Film Festival in March. It has a special connection to the city as it was shot at the nearby Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Line.

The story of three children who move to a house near a railway after their father is wrongly imprisoned for espionage was first published as a novel in 1906. It has been adapted for television several times and, to mark the 30th anniversary in 2000, Agutter starred in a remake in which she played the children's mother.

There are over 1,400 British classics in the archive, including early Hitchcock and CARRY ON films.

Mr. Rudden said: "Many of these films are in really bad condition and we are investing a lot of money in cleaning them up as best we can."

And now here is the listing on Play.com for a remastered movie on :
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...y/Product.html
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM

can't say I'm familiar with that one, but looks interesting.
anything classic like that is a welcome bd for sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
can't say I'm familiar with that one, but looks interesting.
anything classic like that is a welcome bd for sure.
It's incredibly well-known here in the UK. As the article implies, the film has been a staple of holiday TV schedules since the mid 1970s and is much-loved. Also, it stars Jenny Agutter, always a good thing.

Oddly the newspaper article fails to mention that the director of The Railway Children, Lionel Jefferies (a popular actor and occasional director), passed away last week, a fact that was widely reported in the press here.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM

good info.
btw: where you been Kid?
don't see you too much on here anymore.
there's a boatload of classic stuff out, and coming out.
I just ordered "The Dam Busters" and "Double Life of Veronique"
can't wait to see that one.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Is this the prequel to 'The Boxcar Kids'?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
It's incredibly well-known here in the UK. As the article implies, the film has been a staple of holiday TV schedules since the mid 1970s and is much-loved. Also, it stars Jenny Agutter, always a good thing.

Oddly the newspaper article fails to mention that the director of The Railway Children, Lionel Jefferies (a popular actor and occasional director), passed away last week, a fact that was widely reported in the press here.
Agree with all the above, however, I would just add that the article was actually written in December and it was posted so as to give some background information to the newly appeared Play.com listing.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
good info.
btw: where you been Kid?
don't see you too much on here anymore.
there's a boatload of classic stuff out, and coming out.
I just ordered "The Dam Busters" and "Double Life of Veronique"
can't wait to see that one.
I'm still around and still read the forums daily but I have very little free time at the moment, which has curtailed my posting. I got The Dam Busters for 5 just after Christmas and it looks to be a very good disc (tho I haven't seen it in full yet)

I'm loving the classics hitting blu-ray at the moment, there are some real unexpected treats on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Agree with all the above, however, I would just add that the article was actually written in December and it was posted so as to give some background information to the newly appeared Play.com listing.
That explains a lot, makes sense now.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
I'm still around and still read the forums daily but I have very little free time at the moment, which has curtailed my posting. I got The Dam Busters for 5 just after Christmas and it looks to be a very good disc (tho I haven't seen it in full yet)

I'm loving the classics hitting blu-ray at the moment, there are some real unexpected treats on the way.

That explains a lot, makes sense now.
Yes I picked up The Dambusters on a 5 deal too and the transfer is good. However, then Optimum go and do this:
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...n/Product.html
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Artwork now up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Chil...0729531&sr=1-1
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 PM

so I see this is out now--
anyone get a copy yet?