Fulci's CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD UK Blu-Ray - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM

... And it's out today in the UK.

If anyone picks it up, let me know what you think....

...and that's my synopsis on the back of the pack so three cheers for me!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Mine was shipped last Saturday from Amazon UK, should be here in a couple of days.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I've got the UK version on its way.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:31 AM

I really do not know what Play.com are doing with my order. Still showing as 'Order Taken' since last week.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 AM

My order is on its way. Its stated to arrive me May 27th.

I think there will be a comparison to the US blue-underground BD at caps-a-holic somedays after the UK arrived me.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Just got my City of the Dead UK version in. Same packaging as Dawn/Day.

The 6 postcards also mention off several new DVD versions of films that may or may not show up in America:
Macabre
Sleepless
House of the Cementary
Silent Night Deadly Night
Bloodfeast 2
Street Trash
Two Evil Eyes
Martin
Terror of the Opera
Stendhal Syndrome
The Player

They look like DVD copies in similar packaging...here's hoping for BDs of them!

And don't worry - it's Region Free (or atleast A an B)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:52 AM

I got mine yesterday and watched it last night and also watched a couple of the extras. AQ was better than I expected and I really enjoyed the sound (I chose the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track instead of the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track since my setup is 5.1). PQ was sometimes pretty good and sometimes quite soft, depending on the quality of the source elements I think. Image didn't look tampered, which is good.

Overall I enjoyed the film quite much again (been a long time since I last watched it), and the extras on the disc and physical extras are nice too. Enjoyed reading the booklet.

Several of the extras on the disc seem to be in 1080i50 and there's one in SD PAL, but the main feature is properly in 1080p / 23.976 fps. Luckily my LG can convert all those extras to 60hz too so I can watch them.

Overall a nice release. I wonder how the U.S. release compares to this or whether they share the same transfer.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 AM

Mine arrived two days ago.
I think the PQ isn't so good. It looks a bit like aqua-color filtered and then adding a nice grain layer.

I read that the US Disc use the same transfer with a bit better compression, but I don't thing this will the PQ much better. I allreaddy capsed some pics from the UK Disc, and sent it to the admin of caps-a-holic. He will get the US Disc and take according caps of it, so a caps-a-holic comparison regarding PQ will be coming soon.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 AM

^ Will be interesting to see those comparisons. I also didn't think the PQ was that great in comparison to newer movies but I have somewhat adjusted expectations having watched these 70's and 80's horror classics a lot on VHS with various horrible PQ levels This was also done a rather low budget I think.

The detail level was anyway relatively good in several scenes, while not good in others. Colors were rather subdued. The average video bitrate seems to be around 30 Mbps so at least there's no lack of that.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Yes I too will be curious to see those caps comparisons (even though they can be deceptive at times). I watched mine last night and the PQ quality in my opinion was down to the source material. Arrow have done the best that they probably can with it, and as apparently both Arrow and BU pool resources on transfers, then the chances are there will be little or no difference anyway between the two.

Absolutely loving the extras on this though...