DVD upscaling - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM

Default DVD upscaling

Ok, i am a newcomer into not only these forums, but also the "HD" era.
My question is, how exactly does upscaling work? Does it bring the picture on a dvd up to 1080p? Does that mean i can details like i can a movie built from the ground up in 1080p, like pores on skin? Please be thorough as i don't exactly understand how it 'upconverts to 1080p, but is NOT true 1080p"

Sorry if im such a rookie, but i did a thread search and couldnt find any topics related to this, which i found odd, since i know you guys know your stuff and figured someone has asked this question before. The only thing i did gather was this analogy about upconverting:

"You can turn water into kool aid, but you cant turn water into wine"

Also, how well does the PS3 upconvert, as thats the Blu Ray player i have, how well does it stack against other blu ray player (excluding price) just as a head to head comparison, e.g it would rank like 4th out of the 9 Blu Ray players out there?

Well hopefully you guys ( and gals ) can shed some light on me on this topic and glad to be finally part of the HI DEF Digest forums AND Hi Def content
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM

The best way I can describe it is to use an analogy.

Find a jpeg of a dog that measures 400 pixels by 300 pixels. This is your DVD, for our purposes. Now, open up Photoshop or your favorite image editor and increase the size to 1200 X 900 pixels. What you just did was basically the same as upscaling. You're blowing up the picture, but you're not really seeing more detail. The program is artifically adding pixels trying to approximate that image in the resolution you specified.

Now, if you had a picture of the exact same dog that was captured at 1200 X 900 pixels, you would definitely see more detail. You would see individual furs and much more defined features. This is your HD format.

I hope this analogy makes sense.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Oh, and as far as how good a job the PS3 does upscaling DVDs, I'd say it works fine. In fact, I recently sold my upscaling DVD player because I get at least equal quality now from the PS3. I love consolidating electronic devices, it means more space and less wiring. Thanks, Sony!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

You can't add detail that's not there. It looks better, sure, but if detail is not in the original it will only increase the size of the non-detail. When there is a lot of movement you get artifacts, and your upscaler will keep these artifacts.

Yesterday we played a Blu-ray and a DVD on the theatre setup we have here and I'll tell you what, there is no contest. More detail:

The screen is a Stewart FireHawk 126 screen. Projector is Runco VX-22d 3-chip 1080p DLP. DVD was SuperBit Fifth element in a Lexicon RT-10 player. Blu-ray was Pirates 2 in Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 (showing at 1080p/24). Receiver is Lexicon RV-8.

The DVD looked flat, the BD looked 3D. The DVD looked washed out like there was a film over it, the Blu-ray put you right in the movie. The DVD had enough detail that you could see the hair on Willis' chin, the Blu-ray had enough detail to see the Depp's eye lashes (on Kiera's, oh boy!).

Everyone who sees Blu-ray in this room are stunned. They say it's so good it's stupid. It's unbelievable.

DVD is adequate. A movie tells a story, and you can do this on a 12" B/W screen if you wanted, but Blu-ray puts you right in the movie.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
DVD is adequate. A movie tells a story, and you can do this on a 12" B/W screen if you wanted, but Blu-ray puts you right in the movie.
I wouldn't go that far, when I watch a DVD I feel like I'm "right in the movie" - I, however, will concur that Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD for that matter) is absolutely superior and does make a difference (for me that includes no longer purchasing DVD's except in rare occasions such as older TV show sets).

Blu-Ray definetely makes me feel like I'm pulled into something spectacular that from time to time I find myself saying "Damn, this looks spectacular!" but I can't fault DVD - I still will pop in Star Trek into my PS3 and watch it upconverted
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Ok cool, thanks for all the feedback all, i see what you guys mean about taking an image and just making it bigger, you get a bit artifacts, thanks all.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 AM

I do not agree with the jpeg picture analogy. SDVD's are capable of looking better than they do on a standard or progressive scan DVD player. True it does not measure up to Blu Ray or HD-DVD, but does look increasingly better.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 AM

OK, can you provide a better explanation? That's the best I could come up with as a simple analogy.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
OK, can you provide a better explanation? That's the best I could come up with as a simple analogy.
Sorry, I was not intending to offend you. There have been several articles saying that S-DVD'S have more potential to look better, which is why up scaling even works. The Hollywood big wigs did not want that to be done originally. It is like surround sound sounding a little better run digitally as opposed to being run as analog. Same standard surround now enhanced by 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 even though movie is encoded in plain stereo surround.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:22 PM

I'm not offended, I was just looking for a better example of how it works.