Attebery is offline Member

Default Is Apple Ready To Embrace Blu-ray?

The_Doctor is offline Member

Probably not. Well at least not like they were supposed to, being a BD member and all.

Apple and MS have a vested interest in Digital Downloads, watch for whatever they do, even if some support for blu is provided for, to weight heavily in the favor of DD.

They want DD to thrive as do the Studios, although the studios do not want it to thrive just yet.

I have been waiting years now for Apple to release anything (laptop or desktop) with a Blu-ray player. Of course now that I just bought a new iMac last Friday they announce this.

I guess I'll wait until they come out with Blu in a laptop. This would be prefferable anyhow.

Home theater gear may become obsolete quickly, but thankfully nowhere near as quick as computer gear!
    Sony VPL-HW55ES w/ a 118" 16x9 screen
    Emotiva XPA-7; Integra DHC-80.3
    NHT 3.3 (L,R) NHT AC-2 (C) NHT AC-2 (Side Surrounds) NHT AC-2 (Rear Surrounds) HSU VTF3-HO and HSU VTF-15H (Subs)
    Oppo BDP-103D; Sony HAP-S1/S Hi-Res Music Player; Panamax 5100-EX; Directv Genie Go; Playstation 4
    : 567 Last Purchased: Blood Simple (Criterion)
    3D: 60 Last Purchased: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/56857-scott-b

EpsilonX is offline Member

ugh macs. even bigger ugh digital downloads. I hope they do add blu ray players.
    PS3/PS4: EpsilonX2008

The_Doctor is offline Member

Blu implementation is problematic, just on the software side.

I've been wanting an Apple just to be get rid of MS but my whole house is rigged to use Windows and work together, stuff like Tivo, the wife's laptop and other things

ScandaleX is offline Member

As much as I prefer blu, I don't feel it'll be the deciding factor for me when it's time to buy another Mac; only time will tell.

Ethan_C is offline Member

I'm probably a year or so away from upgrading to another Mac. I'm hoping by then the blu issue will be resolved.
    40 gb
    19 games, 58 bd

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan_C View Post
    I'm probably a year or so away from upgrading to another Mac. I'm hoping by then the blu issue will be resolved.
    me too, but i was hoping for the first of the year.
    Supporter. Current Toys: Vizio M65D0, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Phillips BDP7501.
    Console List:
    PS4,ONE,Gamecube, N64, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn,PSTv,Vita,3DS, Retron 5
    Lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart
    2017 Completed List:http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...inish-481.html
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

I don't care, and I own a two Macs (desktop/macbook). I'll never watch films on a computer screen.

greenman342 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    I don't care, and I own a two Macs (desktop/macbook). I'll never watch films on a computer screen.
    I do not watch films on a computer screen either, you see my computer has a thing-a-majig called HDMI that can hook up to my plasma. I also just burned 30 gigs onto a RE disc... life is good.

These same kind of rumors were going around before Apple's last line-up refresh and it did not happen. Rumors are not something to count on.
    Last edited by greenman342; 08-11-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
    I do not watch films on a computer screen either, you see my computer has a thing-a-majig called HDMI that can hook up to my plasma. I also just burned 30 gigs onto a RE disc... life is good.

These same kind of rumors were going around before Apple's last line-up refresh and it did not happen. Rumors are not something to count on.

I have a home theater system that takes care of my HDM needs.

Apple didn't embrace 3G on the first iPhone. That should say something about their thoughts on upgraded technology.

carsten is offline Member

I hope that they announce Blu for Macs. I don't plan on upgrading my current mac for awhile but I want the option to be there when I do.
    TV: Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p

40gb
    : 80

My reason for wanting Apple to embrace Blu-ray with their products is thus:

I travel fairly often to Asia for work which equates to long plane flights and being awake in a hotel room for the first few days before breakfast is served. I use this time to view bonus features on DVD that I wouldn't normally sit at home and watch. This is why I wish that Apple would ultimately put a Blu-ray drive in their laptops, so that then I would finally have a suitable time and place to watch all the many special features and director's commentaries that up to this point I have been ignoring.

I completely agree though that watching an actual film on any kind of computer monitor is absurd.
    Sony VPL-HW55ES w/ a 118" 16x9 screen
    Emotiva XPA-7; Integra DHC-80.3
    NHT 3.3 (L,R) NHT AC-2 (C) NHT AC-2 (Side Surrounds) NHT AC-2 (Rear Surrounds) HSU VTF3-HO and HSU VTF-15H (Subs)
    Oppo BDP-103D; Sony HAP-S1/S Hi-Res Music Player; Panamax 5100-EX; Directv Genie Go; Playstation 4
    : 567 Last Purchased: Blood Simple (Criterion)
    3D: 60 Last Purchased: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/56857-scott-b

crazzeto is offline Member

Personally I don't mind watching movies on my laptops screen while traveling. And I typically end up watching digital copies rather than DVD's since more often than not I get shafted on getting a DVD copy in favor of some digital copy. Oh well.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD ([email protected]) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)