TrueHD firmware update for BDP-S1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Default TrueHD firmware update for BDP-S1

The firmware update will be available next week at:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...e.pl?mdl=BDPS1
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Sorry but where do you see the TrueHD being included in this new firmware?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 AM

From the linked page

Can discs with Dolby® Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD sound be played on the Blu-ray Disc™ player?

Yes. However, the sound quality is the same as conventional Dolby® Digital sound because the player does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD decoding or HDMI bit stream output.

So I dont think this update gives you True HD, it looks like more BD writeable disc support
Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
Sorry but where do you see the TrueHD being included in this new firmware?
In an email from the Sony representative.

Quote:
announced a new free firmware update for the BDP-S1 that allows it to decode Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby True HD audio codecs. The update will be available next week for download at www.sony.com/blurayupdate.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

Firmware v2.0 is now available. Adds TrueHD support, improved BD-Java and DD+

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2792&os_id=99
Old 06-08-2007, 11:36 PM

This update is temporarily unavailable. Please check back after Monday, June 11, 2007.

This utility updates the BDP-S1 firmware to version 2.00, and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version 1.60:

Adds Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus Audio decoding functionality.
Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
Enhanced playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM format discs.
Additional improvements over original firmware:

Enhanced playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM format discs.
Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
Enhanced customer support capability
Compatibility with the newly released BD-R/RE format (BDMV).
Corrects the output signal status information for audio output and display when Linear PCM 5.1 channel soundtracks are played via HDMI.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
In an email from the Sony representative.
Sure you did.. Just kidding. Well thats great.

Now, who owns this player and can tell how well the BD-J is working now. I saw that video on YouTube with the guy trying to work Pirates 2 on the machine and kept crapping out. Also how does the TrueHD sound?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
Also how does the TrueHD sound?
I dont think there are many BD discs that have a TruHD sound track. I think most of the discs if they have a lossless sound track they are using LPCM.

With that said, looking over the review for Ghost Rider, Peter said "PCM sounding a little louder than the TrueHD, after level matching I couldn't discern a difference between the two"

I would imagine that would be a very accurate description between the two. The benefit of TruHD is to have a lossless sound track while saving disc space. Since BD discs go up to 50GB I dont think saving space is an issue which is why you see more tracks with LPCM.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 PM

LOL thank you, but I was refering to how well the firmware worked on the Sony machine. I know Peter reviewed it on the Sony PS3 and said it was good but what I was mostly getting at was if there were any problems with it, does it studder, does it work for a while then quit, is there an error message, does it sound staticy for some reason, did the firmware turn your Sony machine into a hydrogen bomb and make it explode into a giant mushroom cloud? LOL stuff like that...I know TrueHD sounds good as a format. But how well does the Sony machine mimic that sound?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
With that said, looking over the review for Ghost Rider, Peter said "PCM sounding a little louder than the TrueHD, after level matching I couldn't discern a difference between the two"

I would imagine that would be a very accurate description between the two. The benefit of TruHD is to have a lossless sound track while saving disc space. Since BD discs go up to 50GB I dont think saving space is an issue which is why you see more tracks with LPCM.
The TruHD track on Ghost Rider is 20-bit while the PCM is 16-bit. I haven't compared the two, but I suspect the difference is slight.