Sharp BD-HP21U--did I get a lemon? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Sharp BD-HP21U--did I get a lemon?

Let's see, I can't even get a menu image to set it up.

I've got an HDMI cable going into the receiver, and assigned it an HDMI slot. Still nothing.

I have a PS3 and an A-3, and those work perfectly. I should be able to just switch the appropriate HDMI slot for playback.

The player is NIB.

Please advise.

EDIT--I'm running it through a Onkyo 705.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Let's see, I can't even get a menu image to set it up.

I've got an HDMI cable going into the receiver, and assigned it an HDMI slot. Still nothing.

I have a PS3 and an A-3, and those work perfectly. I should be able to just switch the appropriate HDMI slot for playback.

The player is NIB.

Please advise.

EDIT--I'm running it through a Onkyo 705.
I would say first try swapping HDMI cables from the BD player with the A3 and then see if it works (keep it in the same input of the receiver). Then you know it is either the HDMI port or cable or the player...
Old 05-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
I would say first try swapping HDMI cables from the BD player with the A3 and then see if it works. Then you know it is either the HDMI port or cable or the player...
I did. The PS3 worked when I switched cables, etc....

The Sharp turns on and off, I can see the little lights, and it says menu. I just can't see anything onscreen, and the receiver says no signal.

At first I thought it was the cable. The cable is from "Cables to Go," but when it worked with the other HDMI cables from the PS3 and the A-3, I was not convinced it was the cable itself.

EDIT--My A-3 is assigned #1 and the PS3 is assigned # 2. I even switched assignments, and they still worked with the exception of the Sharp.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I did. The PS3 worked when I switched cables, etc....

The Sharp turns on and off, I can see the little lights, and it says menu. I just can't see anything onscreen, and the receiver says no signal.

At first I thought it was the cable. The cable is from "Cables to Go," but when it worked with the other HDMI cables from the PS3 and the A-3, I was not convinced it was the cable itself.

EDIT--My A-3 is assigned #1 and the PS3 is assigned # 2. I even switched assignments, and they still worked with the exception of the Sharp.
I would say it doesn't look good; hopefully you bought it recently enough to swap for a new one...good luck
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
I would say it doesn't look good; hopefully you bought it recently enough to swap for a new one...good luck
I'll go ahead and try the swap with the A-3, just to make sure.

It's a brand new player in the box, etc...

We'll see.

Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Okay, just tried swapping the A-3's cable, and assignment, and it's a no go.

Well, gonna give these cats a call and get an exchange.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Okay, just tried swapping the A-3's cable, and assignment, and it's a no go.

Well, gonna give these cats a call and get an exchange.
Maybe try hooking up a yellow RCA composite cable so you can see if you're able to see the player setup menu? Is your TV 1080p/24 capable? On my old TV that could only take up to 1080i input, blu-ray players would sense the 1080p/24 capability of the Onkyo receiver and set the HDMI output to 1080p, resulting in a blank screen on my TV. Using the RCA composite connection I could get into the player setup menu and set the resolution down to 1080i.

Last edited by Cochise; 05-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Maybe try hooking up a yellow RCA composite cable so you can see if you're able to see the player setup menu? Is your TV 1080p/24 capable. On my old TV that could only take up to 1080i input, blu-ray players would sense the 1080p/24 capability of the Onkyo receiver and set the HDMI output to 1080p, resulting in a blank screen on my TV. Using the RCA composite connection I could get into the player setup menu and set the resolution down to 1080i.

I'm going to try that now.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 PM

It worked! Thanks!

Okay, now it's onto business.
Closed Thread