Funployee is offline Member

Default Problems (Sharp BD-HP20)

I purchased "Quantum of Solace" on Bluray yesterday, and today I put it in. A screen saying "Warning: Firmware update needed." Simple enough. I go to Sharp's website and download the update, and put it on my USB drive. The drive doesn't register properly in the player's setup. I spend about 2 hours making sure I do everything in the instructions properly, and still it doesn't work. I looked for an alternative way to upgrade, and found a CD/DVD-R option. So, I do this. It updates.

When my player comes back on, the text is in German. I change it, and out the movie in. The disc causes a warning to come up, saying the disc is coded for region A. Living in the US, I was confused, because the US region code is C (I believe). I put in Juno (because Fox actually region codes their Blurays) to see if maybe my QoS bluray was defective, and I go the same warning. Confused, I went to the support website where the firmware update came from, much to my dismay, to find it was an Australian support site. I guess in my frustration from not being able to update earlier, I just skimmed this. So, I remembered my stepfather has a USB drive and I attempted to use his PC to upload the firmware onto his USB. The player registers it, but says this update is already on my player. I reset the player to the factory setting three times, and it still does not work. I tried to update to an older firmware but got an error message.

Is there ANY way I can fix this at home, or do I need to call in to Sharp customer service /just send it in for a repair?

Rich86 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funployee View Post
    I purchased "Quantum of Solace" on Bluray yesterday, and today I put it in. A screen saying "Warning: Firmware update needed." Simple enough. I go to Sharp's website and download the update, and put it on my USB drive. The drive doesn't register properly in the player's setup. I spend about 2 hours making sure I do everything in the instructions properly, and still it doesn't work. I looked for an alternative way to upgrade, and found a CD/DVD-R option. So, I do this. It updates.

When my player comes back on, the text is in German. I change it, and out the movie in. The disc causes a warning to come up, saying the disc is coded for region A. Living in the US, I was confused, because the US region code is C (I believe). I put in Juno (because Fox actually region codes their Blurays) to see if maybe my QoS bluray was defective, and I go the same warning. Confused, I went to the support website where the firmware update came from, much to my dismay, to find it was an Australian support site. I guess in my frustration from not being able to update earlier, I just skimmed this. So, I remembered my stepfather has a USB drive and I attempted to use his PC to upload the firmware onto his USB. The player registers it, but says this update is already on my player. I reset the player to the factory setting three times, and it still does not work. I tried to update to an older firmware but got an error message.

Is there ANY way I can fix this at home, or do I need to call in to Sharp customer service /just send it in for a repair?
    I suggest you contact Sharp Customer Service - and explain the problem to them and ask them to mail you a proper firmware update disc that will load onto your player. Most blu-ray player manufacturers offer that option.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

Cochise is offline Special Member

Well, know we know how to make a U.S. Sharp BD player play BDs with Region B coding. BTW, no the U.S. is Region A - Japan and North & South America is Region A; Europe, Australia and NZ are Region B, which is what you just made your player coded for.

Your player isn't accepting the US firmware because the Australian version either has the same or a higher FW version number. Definitely call Sharp and see what they say - they probably have a way to force it to accept the current U.S. FW. But as for fixing this at home, you have 2 options -

1- (A little complicated) Goggle "hexadecimal editor" and find a free download for a hexadecimal editor program. Use it to read the U.S. firmware. In the first few lines it will say the version number, like "Version 1.6". Use the hex editor to change it to a higher number, like Version 1.7". The player should then accept it and load the FW, thinking it's a more recent version.

2- (Much easier) Enjoy your non-region coded BDs for now. Out of curiosity, I checked the Aussie Sharp site - that FW was just released on Feb 25. The most recent US version was released Oct. 29 2008. It's highly likely (ask Sharp when you call them) that a new U.S. firmware will be released shortly. You can then download it and install it as it will be more recent, and convert your player back to Region A.

As for me, I think I'll keep an eye out for a cheap used BD-HP20 and install that Aussi FW & use it for playing Region B locked BD imports, a cheaper alternative to the LG BH200. I wonder if it will play PAL content with that Aussie FW?

darkdaze73 is offline Member

Since I picked up the LG BH200 I was considering selling my BD-HP20. Screw that now. Please keep us(especially me!) updated with what happens. I'm gonna hold off trying this on mine until I here how this unfolds.
    180+
    200+
    want list

Quote Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
    Since I picked up the LG BH200 I was considering selling my BD-HP20. Screw that now. Please keep us(especially me!) updated with what happens. I'm gonna hold off trying this on mine until I here how this unfolds.
    I downloaded the PDF of the Owner's Manual for both the U.S. and Australian models. The U.S. player is labeled BD-HP20U, and in the specifications, says:

Power Supply: AC 120V 60Hz
    TV Systems: NTSC systems, 525 Lines, 60 fields

The Australian model looks exactly the same, but is labeled BD-HP20X, and the specifications says:

Power supply: AC 110-240V, 50/60Hz
    TV Systems: PAL system, 625 lines, 50 fields
    NTSC system, 525 lines, 60 fields

I'm thinking (hoping) the US model is exactly the same, they just don't bother telling you it can also handle PAL, just like most American models (my 20" Philips LCD in the den doesn't talk about anything but NTSC in the manual, but handles PAL 50 field input just fine). As I said, I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap used BD-HP20, you can pick up a dinged up used one for around $100 on eBay, and give it a shot with the Australian FW and see what happens.

darkdaze73 is offline Member

yeah, $100-125 range is what I had been seeing about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm tempted to try it, but I'd like to hear what Sharp tells the op as to how to reset it back to region A. Since I currently own the bh200 & only one region locked movie I'm in no hurry to try this out. But this has peaked my curiousity & I'm sure possiblity others too. It would be great to know that I have a back-up for region locked movies should something ever happen to the bh200.
    180+
    200+
    want list

Arkadin is offline Member

ooooooooh count me in as interested also.
    need.........region..........B.........playback.

Funployee is offline Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I found it pretty funny that some of you were happy I found this little "glitch" because you want to play region B Blus, haha.

What I'm hearing from everyone I've asked, here or on various forums, is that I should just wait for the new US firmware update. If that doesn't work, I will call them up.

Like one of the past posters said, I'm sure the models are the same, and that it can play PAL if the region is coded for B. If it was a DVD player, I would doubt it a little bit more, but seeing as how Blu-ray is still a relatively new technology that obviously requires software updates, it seems to me developing different models for different areas would be too much of a headache.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I found it pretty funny that some of you were happy I found this little "glitch" because you want to play region B Blus, haha.

What I'm hearing from everyone I've asked, here or on various forums, is that I should just wait for the new US firmware update. If that doesn't work, I will call them up.

Like one of the past posters said, I'm sure the models are the same, and that it can play PAL if the region is coded for B. If it was a DVD player, I would doubt it a little bit more, but seeing as how Blu-ray is still a relatively new technology that obviously requires software updates, it seems to me developing different models for different areas would be too much of a headache.
    Well, I guess you're still stuck with your Region B Sharp player; in checking SharpUSA.com, still no FW update - which is a little surprising/disappointing since your "Quantum of Solace" said it needed a FW update.

Well, I picked up a BD-HP20 for under $100 yesterday, open box return from BestBuy Outlet/ auctions.overstock.com (they have a bunch of them this week if anyone is interested). I should have it by the end of the week and will load the Aussie FW update and hopefully the player will support PAL in addition to being Region B.

Arkadin is offline Member

can't wait to see how that turns out.
    If it works I'll be buying one also.

DmitryChulkov is offline Member

try to see here mans.io/brand/Sharp
    if you cannot find info you need - just write to support team there