Taking or Capturing Blu-ray Screenshots? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Taking or Capturing Blu-ray Screenshots?

OK...I am hoping I can get some help or advice with this one...as the title implies I want some way I can capture a screenshot or a still image from a Blu-ray movie export it to a jpeg file or something.

I own the following: 2 PS3s, 1 BDP-300 and 1 BD-55...I also own a Sony Vaio laptop with a Blu-ray drive.

Can I capture what I am trying to do with any of those above and how?

You would think the laptop would be easy to do it with...right? Well wrong...everytime I try to do a printscreen whether the Blu-ray is maximized and playing or if it is just screening in a minimized window I cannot do a printscreen...not even of my desktop.

I appreciate any help. Thanks so much!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 AM

Yeah, Print screen works for crap but like the desktop and webpages.
nothing that's actually a movie file or something.

Anyway, use FRAPS.

I used it for my Beetlejuice BD.
However, it records at your desktop resolution.
So....unless you can hook your laptop up to your TV via HDMI or something and run it at 1080, then your stuck with your laptops resoultion.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:04 AM

which software are you using to play the blu ray disks on your laptop? some have a screen capture function built into the software that will give you the full resolution of the image.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
which software are you using to play the blu ray disks on your laptop? some have a screen capture function built into the software that will give you the full resolution of the image.
Hi, yes the software for Blu-ray playback is InterVideo WinDVD BD. I do not see any feature in it that allows for a screen capture.

The laptop does have a 720P display.

I can't believe the PS3 or BD55 can't do it some fashion or form? !-(
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 PM

What I don't get is how do these review websites do it?

Check what I found out:

PowerDVD and WinDVD (I think screen capture for BluRay is disabled here too, but I'm working from memory here) used to have this feature. Want to know why it got turned off? Some blogger figured out that it worked and posted some blog about it. Hollywood completely flipped out about it because, theoretically, someone could take a photo of every frame in the movie and re-assemble them to "copy" the BluRay disc. Of course this supposed method does nothing to capture audio and I don't know anybody who programmed a way to take all those screen captures necessary to make a movie out of them. Hollywood demanded that PowerDVD and WinDVD take that function out of their players and both caved in and did it. I stopped buying either years ago because it just seemed to me that each release got less functional than the one before it as Hollywood started mandating consumer unfriendly changes in release after release of both programs.

Because Hollywood and Microsoft intentionally make it NOT work. They use a technique called Video Overlay. The player makes a hole in the desktop and the video is displayed through that hole by the graphic's card's hardware. When you hit Print Screen you get the hole, not the video that's playing behind it.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM

I didnt realize that its now disabled in the software, There has to be a program that can do it or a hack for the software that will re enable it.
Might want to check over at AVS as they usually have huge threads with screen captures to show quality, you might be able to find some info there.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM

You can take screenshots with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Need AnyDVD to get past encryption.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:00 PM

I mentioned FRAPS. You can even download the free version and take a (watermarked) screen shot.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks for all your help thus far...I will give that free version of FRAPS a looksee.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers24 View Post
I mentioned FRAPS. You can even download the free version and take a (watermarked) screen shot.
So will my Wind BD program be supported with this?

In order for Fraps to take pictures or capture videos onto their system, users must first be using a program that uses DirectX or OpenGL as a core runtime system. Programs that run in Windows without DirectX or OpenGL are not supported, and therefore Fraps cannot capture desktop applications under Windows 2000 and XP. In Windows Vista the Aero desktop runs through DirectX and can be captured by Fraps.