Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    halcro 1 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Kris Deering has been reviewing disc players for many years. His DVD player reviews at Secrets of Home Theater were the standard bearer by which all DVD player reviews were measured. He knows what to look for in a good unit, and I trust his objective measurements over a vague "PQ is more filmlike" comment from an anonymous forum poster any day of the week.

As for CD playback, that's an irrelevant concern if you use a digital connection to your receiver. The receiver does all the decoding and amplifying in that case, not the disc player.
    I dont have a reciever I have pure analog bypass TY ... You are entitled to your opnion
    Pre-Pro Halcro SSP-100 (200) with MPCM over HDMI
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Speakers Main Acoustic Zen adagio, Center Audes Grand Sentral, Rear Audes Blues
    Players Oppo BDP-83. EAD Theatervision P
    Cables IC Audience AU 24 All Balanced, Speaker Acoustic Zen Satori
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Power Conditioner Running Spring Audio Haley W/Cardas Golden Reference Power Cable
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

crazzeto is offline Member

No offence, but the fact that you have an all analoge audio system makes you better qualified than some one that's been doing DVD/BD player reviews for over a decade?
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD ([email protected]) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)

I guess I really dont care what some mag thinks of a BDP I seen and used the player ... Ive had people over they all liked it better so thats all I care about ....and all CD players sound different no matter what kind of DAC there is in the reciever ...This is truly whre the diminishing return deal comes In . So If this person reviews players for 10 years and he is an expert good for him ....on the audio end the ES is better and I do have probabally better cred. than the reviewer in HT...go to AVS Forums and read what other people think of the player ....
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Power Conditioner Running Spring Audio Haley W/Cardas Golden Reference Power Cable
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

You know halcro, this guy's critisisms really are pretty valid... Like why doesn't it have a quality video processor built in? The price tag is 2K, they couldn't afford one? My $280 Samsung BD-P2500 has reon! Why doesn't it have at least a gig (hell I think it should have at least 4) of built in flash memory? Why is this thing so lacking on these niceties that far cheaper players offer? One would think that a player this expensive would offer no trade offs when compared to the "value options".
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

PETMIC is online now Member

You know halcro, this guy's critisisms really are pretty valid... Like why doesn't it have a quality video processor built in? The price tag is 2K, they couldn't afford one? My $280 Samsung BD-P2500 has reon! Why doesn't it have at least a gig (hell I think it should have at least 4) of built in flash memory? Why is this thing so lacking on these niceties that far cheaper players offer? One would think that a player this expensive would offer no trade offs when compared to the "value options".
    +1

I don't think Kris disliked it. He just pointed out that for
    the amount of money it should have offered more.

....and I agree.

In some ways you are possibily correct .. I dont care about BD Live ...Its just a gimmick to me ..... so the ! GB of flash not a big deal .... I know on Bluray the pic is fantastic .... and the 5.1 audio is fantastic ... Dont know about SD playback .... Is it too expensive ???? Maybe but then maybe we should all just own a PS3 ..... Not much can beat it for the dollar ,WI-FI mass storage ....But a Kuro is expensive too is it 2x as good as a Samsung????
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

What does the PS3 have to do with this? I'm not sure at what point that even came into the discussion... I'm sorry but when you're reviewing a CE device like this you have to examine it as a whole. When you look at this player as a whole it comes up short for the price tag, that's the point being made. If it works for you then great, go out and buy one. But you know what, people reading these reviews are interested in understanding how the unit as a whole stacks up to other similar devices, again as a whole.

As far as the video processor issue, that goes beyond even just playing back SD content... As mentioned in this review this player failed to correctly de-interlace 1080i content... Maybe you'll never own a 1080i bluray, if so then great this player might still be awesome for you. But please don't try and discount the opions of this reviewer, or pretend like we're being silly for being less than enthusiastic about a $1,400 bluray player ($2,000 msrp) that can't correctly deinterlace 1080i content. Guess what, I own a $300 bluray player that can perform that task in spades, why in gods name would I want this thing?
    HDM Count - Hopless

septim is offline Member

What a crappy deal! Seriously what were they thinking? They must be going after the more money than sense crowd with this one.
    JVC RS2 / Pioneer Kuro 5010
    Marantz SR 8002 / Emotiva XPA-5
    JTR T12s T8 / Rocket RS850s
    PSN: septim XBL: megamerican

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

Home Theater Magazine just posted the entire review online. Here is the review.

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/sony_bdp-s5000es_blu-ray_player/index.html

Interesting 4 stars for such a shitty player ....Kind of funny no matter what anyone thinks of the player ....1, I dont own it , Im looking at the new Pioneer , but the pioneer name scares me ,, I dont think they will be a vialable company for much longer my .02...And why do the people on the AVS Forums love the Sony just find it kind of odd ....
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

Taints is offline Member

Sony 9" Portable DVD Player DVP-FX97/DVPFX97 is the most popular brand of dvd player .. Sony is the most reliable brand ever.. I am having this one..

I turned down brightness at the suggestion of another owner to see if it would improve battery life. I saw little, if any difference. I ran a two hour movie, and had very little battery life remaining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12