Panasonic announces new generation Blu-ray player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Panasonic announces new generation Blu-ray player to NA

The announcements of new Blu-ray players keep on coming. This one is from a key founder of Blu-ray:

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=14577

Quote:
Panasonic Introduces DMP-BD10A Blu-Ray Disc Player to American Market

Tokyo, Japan, May 15, 2007 - (JCN Newswire) - Panasonic, one of the industry leaders behind the development of Blu-ray Disc technology and the market leader in Plasma televison, today announced the availability of the DMP-BD10A, Panasonic's next generation Blu-ray Disc player, at a SRP of $599.95. The DMP-BD10A features an audio upgrade package that brings high end surround audio to the viewing experience via the inclusion of 7.1 channel surround, Dolby(R) True HD and dts-HD High Resolution Audio decoding technology. The DMP-BD10A also incorporates Panasonic's proprietary EZ-Sync(TM) system for integrated one-touch operation of Panasonic home-theater components. Panasonic's DMP-BD10A further distinguishes itself with the bundling of five mega hit Blu-ray discs. Included with each DMP-BD10A are -from Disney [Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl] and [Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest], [Transporter] and [Fantastic 4] from Fox and [Crash] from Lionsgate.

Panasonic is deeply committed to the success of Blu-ray, commented Gene Kelsey, Vice President, Entertainment Group, Panasonic. High definition entertainment is a truly unique experience and nothing powers the HD experience like Blu-ray. With that in mind, we feel strongly about providing the ultimate high definition entertainment to the consumer and are thrilled to offer five Blu-ray mega hits with the purchase of the BD10A.

From our format development activities and advanced Blu-ray authoring at Panasonic Hollywood Lab to our Blu-ray player, Panasonic has been instrumental in the development of Blu-ray from the start and I feel we are in the forefront of one of the most significant technological advances in home entertainment since the arrival of the DVD a decade ago. For the ultimate 1080p high definition experience, the consumer can pair the DMP-BD10A with one of Panasonic's 2007 line of award-winning plasmas.

In addition to playing pre-recorded Blu-ray movie discs, the DMP-BD10A plays conventional standard-definition DVDs (with automatic 1080p up-conversion via HDMI) and conventional CDs. Other key features of the DMP-BD10A include proprietary P4HD technology for performing IP conversion at the pixel level for ultra-fine details, a 297MHz 14bit Video D/A Converter with 4X oversampling, video noise shaping that improves signal-to-noise ratios by shifting noise to an unused band, and theoretical support for nearly 4400 billion colors. The DMP-BD10A also incorporates Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and dts decoding, and BD-J (Java application) interactive capability. The compatibility between the DMP-BD10A and the High Definition camcorder (HDC-DX1), via the AVCHD (H.264) codec, is a prime example of Panasonic's dedication to the high definition digital lifestyle.

With the continuing flow of hit movie titles on Blu-ray, combined with aggressive pricing and the increasing awareness of consumers about the unique entertainment experience provided by high definition, the future looks very bright for Blu-ray, added Kelsey.

Last edited by Merlins; 05-15-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 AM

They offering good titles bundled in, great. Can the experts of Blu Ray tell me if the specs of this player is really worth the price?

Also cheaper then ps3 if include disc cost in calculation.

Last edited by Blu Bear; 05-15-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Pretty sweet!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

That is one sweet deal. All the movies in the bundle are top-notch.

S
Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Smile

Great deal and nice player, could one expect the street price to be $499?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

This has the same chassis apparently. In fact it looks like an upgraded version of the DMP-BD10, even naming this new one DMP-BD10A.

But this one has DTS HD MA, and TrueHD, so this should be a sweet player.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM
HDD Founder

It appears that this player doesn't have DTS HD MA, just DTS HD (and TrueHD).
Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
It appears that this player doesn't have DTS HD MA, just DTS HD (and TrueHD).
So, it appears therefore to be exactly the same as my existing BD10, with the latest 2.0 firmware upgrade, which included TrueHD and DTS HD decoding. Nice price reduction though and with bundled discs I am beginning to think I should have waited a few months
Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM

So much the countless opinions about how no CE manufacturers will be able to compete against Sony's prices.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Damnnnnnnnnnn, and I just got my Sammy BD-P1200 today. I thought the new Panny would be close to $1000.00, not the $600.00 MSRP PLUS 5 great movies included. Well, I do have 30 days for the Sammy, so I'll wait and see the results on the Panny.