What A/V Receiver to use with the PS3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default What A/V Receiver to use with the PS3?

OK, my first post in a Blu-ray forum.

And as it concerns a question about the PS3, maybe it belongs in the Game Console section? But it's also a question about A/V Receivers, so maybe it belongs in the Home Theater section? Well, since the poll indicates almost 70% of the blu-ray owners here use the PS3. I thought id's ask it here -

What A/V receiver do you guys use with your PS3 for HD audio? I'm an HD DVD owner who recently decided to go dual format and have a PS3 from eBay en route. My current Sony receiver has only analog 5.1 and digital coax & optical inputs. I've been using the analogs for my XA1 and enjoying TrueHD, but of course that won't cut it for the PS3. So, I'll use digital optical for now. As I understand it, I'll only get 2 channel if I play a LPCM track. I can get the DTS "core" from those Fox titles with DTS MA-HD, and Dolby Digital tracks OK on optical. But, with Peter's review of "Revenge", I'm sure I'm not going to be satisfied:

"Revenge' features an amateurish Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track (640kbps) and a truly wonderful uncompressed PCM 5.1 mix (4.6 Mbps). . . . the PCM track was richer, fuller, and defined . . ."

So, and HDMI receiver is needed to enjoy LPCM. I do have the Onkyo 605 on pre-order, and its due out later this month, but who knows? And I'm not sure it's TrueHD and HD-MA decoding will be that useful. So I've been looking around eBay for HDMI receivers, and it's frustrating. Alot of them just have HDMI pass-through for video, and can't extract audio. Sheesh! What genius thought that one up? I thought the advantage of HDMI over DVI was that it passed both vido & audio? And then I came across a new Sony STR-DG710 for only $229! I quickly do a Google and look for a review. I get excited when I see cNet's review: The STR-DG710 is capable of accepting up to eight channels of uncompressed digital audio over the HDMI connection. But then I find this user's comments: "This unit does everything it says it does except process pcm 5.1 uncompressed audio. I was hoping to use this with my PS3 and bluray movies to get 5.1 pcm but it was too good to be true for $300.

OK Sony, what were you thinking?

So, I thought I'd ask you guys for some feedback.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Default PS3 and HMDI

I also have the same question as I'm using a PS3 with a Yamaha RX-V1500 7.1 with no HMDI.

Is there any A/V reciever currently on the market that can REALLY process audio from a PS3 using HMDI. (AVS says no?)

Or maybe should I ask I'm I really missing something that hasn't been put on the market yet?

Isn't the audio optical I'm using getting the most for what is available today.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:33 PM

The TX-SR604 from Onkyo will take the PCM signal over HDMI. So will the HK AVR-247. Both can be found in the sub-$400 range if you shop around. The only problem is if you want 7.1 surround from the 5.1 PCM track, neither of these receivers will give you this option, while the TX-SR605 that you've got on preorder will likely be able to expand the 5.1 to 7.1.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:18 PM

yes I have teh 604 and do enjoy uncompressed PCM audio over HDMI. I say wait until you get your 605 as that should do the trick for ya. the only thing I would say about DTS MA is that no one knows for sure what players will even send out MA signal. So don't worry about it. Your 605 is HDMI 1.3, so if there is a player that can decode it, then it should push the signal to your 605.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinrock View Post
I also have the same question as I'm using a PS3 with a Yamaha RX-V1500 7.1 with no HMDI.

Is there any A/V reciever currently on the market that can REALLY process audio from a PS3 using HMDI. (AVS says no?)

Or maybe should I ask I'm I really missing something that hasn't been put on the market yet?

Isn't the audio optical I'm using getting the most for what is available today.
As to digital optical, it's my understanding on the Fox DTS HD-MA audio, the "core" DTS at 1.5 MBPS can be extracted and sent over optical, and that's superior to DTS on DVD. And Dolby Digital & DD+ can be sent over optical. But the really good audio tracks in PCM can not be sent over optical, except as 2 channel stereo - there's just not enough bandwidth in digital optical to handle it.

And I found a fairly inexpensive receiver that handles 6.1 channel audio and 1080p over HDMI - IF your display has HDMI: the Sony STR-DG710.

In researching on the web there was conflicting info as to if this receiver is video pass-through only for HDMI, or if it can really extract 6.1 channel audio. Well, I saw that Best Buy has it on sale this week for $255 and with their 30 day return policy, I decided to give it a try. I fiddled with it a couple of hours yesterday and couldn't get a peep out of it on HDMI. I ran the self calibration test OK, so I knew the speakers were all connected correctly. I did note the manual says it is "Not recommended" to use a HDMI to DVI conversion cable. My HDTV only has DVI input. It is HDCP compliant, and the XA1 has worked fine for a year with the HDMI>DVI cable and 5.1 analog out for audio.

Well, today I was playing around with it some more and by accident turned off the TV while playing an HD DVD and Voila! I had audio! I can only get audio through HDMI when I turn my TV off - I guess the receiver can tell it's not HDMI. But I did play the audio test tones from Digital Video Essentials in TrueHD and it played fine and the receiver LED showed PCM input - as long as I don't turn the TV on.

I'm gong to play around it some more before I take it back. So, as long as your display also has HDMI and you don't want to wait for the Onkyo 605 or want something for around $150 less, the Sony STR-DG710 does seem to work for HDMI audio.

Last edited by Cochise; 05-14-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I found a fairly inexpensive receiver that handles 6.1 channel audio and 1080p over HDMI - IF your display has HDMI: the Sony STR-DG710.

I'm gong to play around it some more before I take it back. So, as long as your display also has HDMI and you don't want to wait for the Onkyo 605 or want something for around $150 less, the Sony STR-DG710 does seem to work for HDMI audio.
I appreciate your info, I have a Sony 50XBR with HDMI so it would work. I see Sony make other higher models (7.1 and more watts) as well.

I'm curious to the quality of Sony recievers. I really liked my Yamaha but no HDMI, I could take a chance on another at that price. But would I really hear a difference?

The Onkyo 605 appears to be the better buy for quality and price. Let us know what you think of the Sony overall.

Thanks again .......
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I also use the Onkyo 604 and am very happy with it. I'm waiting to hear if the 605 offers any improvement with the PS3 or HDA1 before I even consider buying another receiver.
Your Onkyo 604 has HDMI - does your display have HDMI? With my experience with the Sony STR-DG710 not working with display DVI connection, I'm concerned all HDMI receivers will only work with HDMI displays. If that's the case, I'll do without and stick with multi-channel analog. I'm very satisfied with my display -a Sony KDP-57WS550 - a 57" rear projection CRT with native 720p & 1080i resolution.

As for the quality of Sony receivers, I'd say they're competitive. But, I'm beginning to re-think the important of a receiver. Back in 2001, my Sony STR-DE945 had all the bells & whistles. When DTS tracks appearing on DVD's my DVD player couldn't decode them. But, no problem - I just output it via digital optical and let the receiver decode it.

But with high def players, the receiver has become a glorified amplifier. For HD DVD, the player decodes all the audio and just sends it to the receiver for amplification. Pretty much the same for blu-ray. For the LPCM titles, the player just reads it and sends it out for amplification. More BD players can decode TrueHD, and the new Panasonic BD10a adds DTS HD. HDMI is nice with the single cable, but HDMI 1.1 is goo enough, and 5.1 analog is great when you don't have everything purchased in the last year or two with HDMI.

HDMI 1.3 is only good for two things - the deep color video and DTS HD-MA. The deep color won't be in wide spread use for several years, and for the limited number of HD-MA titles, I don't think it's worth it.

As for the STR-DG710, it's going back to Best Buy. I even dug through the manual & receiver menus and found a way to turn off sending the audio to the display and just have it output through the speakers. Still the same though - it doesn't recognize my display's DVI connection as HDCP compliant, and will only play HDMI input audio when the TV is turned off.

Seems kind of short-sighted to me on Sony's part. Hopefully other HDMI receivers will work with DVI.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 PM

CochiseGuy and Vooswing, I am looking to get a new receiver. I have the BDP-S1 and the HD-A1. My tv is the westinghouse LTV-32w1. Just like CochiseGuy I only have a DVI connection on my tv. I have used a DVI to HDMI cable before for the video on both players and haven't had problems.

I am deciding between the Harman Kardon AVR-247 and the Onkyo TX-SR604. Which would you two recommend and why?

Also, do you think hooking both up to the receiver through the HDMI ins and then using the HDMI out to DVI cable to my tv will work? I want to have audio and video 5.1 PCM for both Highdef Players and use the 5.1 analog connections for an SACD player I'm looking into.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Just to add in my 2 cents, the Yamaha HTR-6090 is an excellent HDMI-processing receiver. I know this topic is old but I just saw it for the first time.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 PM

thanks for the input. what is your set-up?