Blu ray problem or TV problem? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 AM

Default Blu ray problem or TV problem?

Hey everyone....I recently got a Samsung A32A330 32" 720P TV, a Rogers HD Cable Box and a Sharp Aquos BDHP21U Blu ray player.

The HD cable and the blu ray movies look amazing, the colours are rich and there is no slowdown or synch problems.

However I am having one major annoying problem and it is primarily with blu ray movies. Certain things on screen flicker or shine. It's really hard to explain, but a few examples include:

-In House of 1000 corpses, a guy is wearing a black and white stripped shirt and the shirt flickers a lot

-In The Dark Knight a lot of the imax panning shots of the city, the sides of the buildings flicker

-When watching Spiderman 3, there is a scene where a guy holds up a basketball, and the lines on the basketball shimmer or flicker

-When watching an HD version of UFC Unleashed, the cage itself flickers a lot

I have searched this quite a bit, and someone mentioned something about an "Auto Contrast" setting in my TV being the problem? I looked through both the user menu and even the service menu and couldn't really locate anything that resembles this.

Someone also suggested turning ON movie or film mode, and turning off image filtering, which I did.

I also tried 720P and 1080i modes, both do the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution? Is it my player, or my display?

Thank you all for the help.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 AM

I have noticed these same problems as well. I believe it is called "Edge Enhancement" and it is a crime against humanity. When the disc is authored studios will try to make the film look less like film and more like a plastic fantastic reproduction. It could also be that your tv can't define or smooth detail that is so close together like a striped shirt that is moving or windows on a building in a panning shot. Not too many tv's can truly eliminate this problem if the source is bad. Try some animation if you have it like wall-e or "rat" and see if it looks smoother.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Hmm....Edge Enhancement. That sounds like a good explanation of what is happening. Although the one problem I have, is that it happened A LOT during The DArk Knight, and other posters have said that they watched the film and it didn't happen to them.

I don't have wall-e or anything like that, but I can rent a good disc like that, and will get back to you.

As I said before, its only SELECT things on the screen that do this. I can have an image with two people, a car, a building and a cow (just an example) in a screen, and only the guys shirt will do this type of effect.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

I see the same and my setup is completely different from yours on 2 tv's
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I see the same and my setup is completely different from yours on 2 tv's
Is it happening to you in The Dark knight during the Imax shots where the camera is panning around buildings?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

yeah...................
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Whats your setup like?

I am using a 32" Samsung 32A330

a Sharp Aquos BDHP21U

Tried both a Monster HDMI Cable that came as a door crasher special with player and a Rocketfish HDMI Cable

There has to be something causing this...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Ok Update....I picked up a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu ray player and its doing the same thing.

It is obviously a problem with the TV...any ideas?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM

couple of thoughts? do you have film mode set to on? if so try turning it off since your tv only supports 480i, and 1080i when this setting is on. If digital noise reduction is on, turn it off.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM

thanks for the reply DoNut......I have digital noise reduction and film mode set to off...with no results :-(