what Blu-Ray player would be best? Given these choices - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Default what Blu-Ray player would be best? Given these choices

Let's just say I could chose from a Sony BDP-S1, a Samsung BP1000, or a LG BH100 dual player, what would be the best option? Let's just say that None would cost over $500 (In other words, if I would prefer to wait until prices drop (due to second generation players coming out) and possible closeout sales).
I am a very strong HD-DVD supporter, but am willing to go neutral if this war lasts through the year.
Let's just assume that both formats will be around for a very long time. For arguments sake.
I am NOT asking for Smackdown talk here. I am just asking which of the 3 players is the best for under $500.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
And no, this is no sign that I am giving up on HD-DVD. I am just not willing to sit back at wait, while Pixar and Buena Vista movies start hitting the Blu-Ray scene.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 PM

I have a Sony BDP-S1. Got it for $700 new, great pq (1080p/24 fps offered --something even my Toshiba XA-2 hasn't been upgraded too yet). I would personally stay away from the LG dual player, especially if you're interested in lossless audio as from what I hear it can only output it over two channels. Also it's way overpriced, as it's essentially a crippled HD DVD player with little or no interactive support.

As for the Samsung, I don't know...you might want to ask Ack or one of the guys that have that for their opinions on it. Though I've never heard them complain.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 AM

I would go with the Sony BDP-S1 personally, im not a fan of the Samsung unit and Dual Player units, I dont like, that much more that can go wrong.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM

I really like my Samsung BD-P1000, but I would have bought the Sony BDP-S1 if prices were equal. I paid $380 for the Samsung (new in box on Ebay) and the Sony player was going for $650+ at the time (about two months ago). I would jump on the Sony player if you can get one for under $500.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

I would say the Second gen Samsung BDP-1200 is the way to go.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Some people don't like hearing this but the PS3 is the best value for the money. It is also the player that is the most flexable and has the best chance to be upgraded to the new spec when it is released. If you plan on buying a player that is released before November then it should be the PS3.

On the other hand if you must get one before then and you really dont want a PS3 I would get the new second gen Sony BDP-300 that is comming out soon. It will retail for $ 600 and you will be able to find it for $ 500 with a bit of searching which was your price goal.

It has HDMI 1.3, x.v.Color, 24P, and BRAVIA Theater Sync.

Last edited by Maxx_75; 05-10-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added info....
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
I am a very strong HD-DVD supporter, but am willing to go neutral if this war lasts through the year. Let's just assume that both formats will be around for a very long time. For arguments sake.
I am NOT asking for Smackdown talk here. I am just asking which of the 3 players is the best for under $500.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
And no, this is no sign that I am giving up on HD-DVD. I am just not willing to sit back at wait, while Pixar and Buena Vista movies start hitting the Blu-Ray scene.
Cloudy, I'm exactly in the same boat - I've owned an XA1 for over a year now and am very pleased with it. But, as a fan of High Def first and foremost, I got tired of not being to enjoy the BD only releases and decided it was time to get a BD player and enjoy both formats. But, my budget was only around $400.

In addition to the other recommendations here, I looked real close at the Philips DBP9000 - primarily as it can be had for around $400 new, sealed box, on eBay. It was poorly received as they really skimped on the audio - only basic DD and no DTS decoding. But it can handle BD's LPCM audio, and my receiver has all the DD+ & DTS decoding I need. And one of my priorities was analog outputs, so I can still use my older but just fine receiver.

But in the end I went with a PS3 for 3 main reasons -
1- Price: They're a real glut of them on eBay, and you can easily get new, sealed in the box PS3 for under $500. I got the discontinued 20GB model for $410.
2- It has HDMI 1.3, so better future proofing
3- Support: I anticipate better & longer support from Sony for the PS3 than Samsung or Philips will provide for their first gen products.

I'm not a gamer and will use it only for BD playback, but, whats the difference? So I have a smaller, different looking unit in my setup instead of a standard player looking unit?

The one drawback for me is that I now have to get an HDMI capable receiver to enjoy HD audio from the PS3.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 AM

The only two options I am willing to entertain at this point is either a Dual player, or the PS3. I do not really want a PS3 for games (I am more of an Xbox fan, and the only PS2/3 game I would like is God of war II for PS2). But I do believe that Sony will invest more money and time into making sure the PS3 works and survives than they will with First Generation stand alones. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Sony will give up on Stand Alones. I am simply saying that I Think they will invest more time in making the PS3 compatible with future advances in Blu-Ray than they will with First Generation stand alones.
In the long run I passed on getting the BDP-S1 for $400.