One of my PS3s just died - any ideas - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 PM

Default One of my PS3s just died - any ideas

One of my PS3s will no longer output video or audio. It will power on and the lights will come on, but there is no output. It worked fine last night, but now it will not do anything.

I ejected the disc and put it back in - no good.
I powered it off and back on - no good.
I disconnected and reconnected the cables - no good.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 AM

Try a different cable output from the one you're using ( if you're running HDMI, try the plain Jane one that comes with the PS3, or a component cable). See if you can get video output from that. It sounds as if your video display isn't being recognized, and it has defaulted to the basic 480i/p resolution, and the screen is stuck on the video output selection screen.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 AM

To Reset Video

Hold down the power button until it beeps twice:It will reset your PS3 to its most basic 480p graphics mode so you'll be able to see enough to choose RGB SCART, component, HDMI.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
To Reset Video

Hold down the power button until it beeps twice:It will reset your PS3 to its most basic 480p graphics mode so you'll be able to see enough to choose RGB SCART, component, HDMI.
Thanks for the advice.

What's odd is that it started working on its own this morning, but it didn't work exactly right at first. I powered it on and if flashed a few times then told me that it had detected an HDMI-capable device and asked me if I wanted to set my output to HDMI at 1080p. I said "ok" and it did its thing...

It ended up setting itself back to 1080p/24hz after connecting to the television.

I don't know why it wouldn't work last night after trying everything, but it seems to have had some sort of system problem. It had completely lost its HDMI settings or something, thus making it where it wouldn't put out sound or video. I didn't try any other kinds of cables last night, so I can't say that it was strictly related to HDMI, but it sure seems probable.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

***Dominica: thanks for that information. I will keep it handy and I will try it if this happens again***
Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Oh the mysteries of HDMI... It sounds like an HDMI issue to me between the devices. If you continue to have issues you may want to try a different HDMI cable. Monoprice and Blue Jeans HDMI cables have never failed me.