Lets do a class action thing. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Lets do a class action thing.

I got the sony blu ray player, now only to find out 4 months later that I was robbed of a grand.
This is terrible, all of us who have BD players, lets unite and make Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Lg, Phillips, and Panisonic pay us damages for selling us somthing that was essentially doa.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 PM

Why ? I could see if you bought something last week and then the next week, it went on sale, then yes, you could get the difference. But four months ???? I have painfully been holding out since Blu-ray first came out. And the waiting for the Pioneer Elite BD player. And it was'nt for the $$$$$ either. I don't make big $$$$, but I just wanted to wait for the second generation players to come to market. And now they are...kind of. I've got the second generation Samsung BD-P1200 on order and hopefully it will ship in the next few weeks. Heck, I've already bought 5 movies on Blu-ray too ! Also, Sony has I believe two new players coming soon as well as Panasonics second generation soon too !

I applaude those of you who have bought the first generation of blu-ray players and paid big $$$$$ AND gone through the hassles of buggy software and waiting for firmware updates. I'm sure even the second generation players will have some problems too, but with new technology, this is expected. Unfortunally, Blu-ray players are more expensive that HD players, but then again, will HD players still be made in 2 years ? Rumour has it, HD players are being sold at a LOSS now in order to try and re-capture the market share that they had at one time.

If you're happy with the results of the sights and sounds that you get from your Sony, just sit back, relax and enjoy it. And if not, then I'm truly sorry to hear it.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM

LOL....

Dood.... Your second Gen unit will be obsolete by this summer if it has not got the hardware to go to BD-J 1.1....

Players that are being released now are not required to meet the 1.1 requirement.... so, you in fact will have a crippled player out of the gate like all of us that were asked to bend over and grab our ankles on 1st gen units....

Sucks that BD could rush players to the market with only ONE concern... market share.... BD doesn't give a crap that they have 1.0 BD-J players out there that will be null and void when it comes to the benefits of the new BD discs....

They figure... hey what the hell, they can still play the movie.....

Well.... you can't tell me that BD discs cost the way they do to just provide movie only discs...... something pays for those supp's, used or not....

Lego
Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM

I am not big on supplements, but when you consider all of the problems first gen players had playing 1.0 BD-J movies, it certainly doesn't bode well for 1.1 BD-J movies on first or second gen hardware. I only hope Sony updates the PS3 firmware in October to support the new features.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 AM

This is the fact of life as early adopter. Plus from what I heard if you have a player that doesn't support BD-J - you are going only miss stuff like PIP and such. I created a Poll, and PIP doesn't really matter.

They can still play the movies and Sony BD-J is fully function - just try Chicken Little tonight - it works.

By the way, this is a very interesting thread for first post.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
This is the fact of life as early adopter. Plus from what I heard if you have a player that doesn't support BD-J - you are going only miss stuff like PIP and such. I created a Poll, and PIP doesn't really matter.

They can still play the movies and Sony BD-J is fully function - just try Chicken Little tonight - it works.

By the way, this is a very interesting thread for first post.
For Blu-Ray's sake I hope you are right. Anytime you start "adding" code to software/hardware you have a much better chance of fowling something else up....

I must give credit to the HD-DVD group for mandating all of their features from the beginning instead of cobbling them together over time...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 AM

Man, am I getting sick of hearing this "early adopter" crap....

I was an "early adopter" of VHS...... Laserdisc....... and DVD........

and was very happy....

Hell, my discovision laserdisc player and my first RCA dvd player still work to this day and very rarely have playback issues on any of my over 2000 laser and dvd titles....

Can't say that for blue-ray.... still have issues with DESCENT and GUARDIAN.

Lego
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisgreatnesstheZ View Post
I got the sony blu ray player, now only to find out 4 months later that I was robbed of a grand.
This is terrible, all of us who have BD players, lets unite and make Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Lg, Phillips, and Panisonic pay us damages for selling us somthing that was essentially doa.
Is he talking about the lack of BD-Java in the early players?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
Unfortunally, Blu-ray players are more expensive that HD players, but then again, will HD players still be made in 2 years ? Rumour has it, HD players are being sold at a LOSS now in order to try and re-capture the market share that they had at one time.
Sony eats a loss of almost $300 on every PS3 sold. I guess Blu-ray is doomed too.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Legobricke;91436]LOL....

Dood.... Your second Gen unit will be obsolete by this summer if it has not got the hardware to go to BD-J 1.1....

Personally, I don't care about the BD-J part having PIP anyway. I'm intrested in watching the movie. Then if any "extras" are there too, GREAT, I'll watch them AFTER the movie is over. Oh, and it's dude, not dood.