Samsung BD-P1000 under $250.00 should I jump in? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Samsung BD-P1000 under $250.00 should I jump in?

I have a chance to get a Samsung BD-P1000 for less that $250.00 dollars and though I'm a HD DVD supporter the price is tempting. The reviews I have seen in many sites are less than stellar to say the least. It will be obsolete when or if BD-J is finally implemented but still the price is hard to turn down. This unit is a Circuit City open box display unit. Any one here have this model?. Should I go format neutral?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM

I don't own it, but ack back just got one and seems to like it. It seems the firmware updates fixed the problems it initially had. For $250, I'd say you'll have the cheapest blu-ray player on this site.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM

I would go for it, I just bought one on Ebay for $400, so I say you are getting a deal. I did the firmware update and have had no problems. The picture looks great and I couldn't be happier. I just bought it to tie me over till they get all the BD-J bugs worked out.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 AM

WOW.....

How can ANYONE purchase any of this 1st gen Blu units?????

Hasn't anyone been paying attention that after May when the new Blu units arrive and the new BD-J discs arrive the early gen players are unable to access the best of the new BD-J supp's?

If you just want a player that will play the movie and be crippled on the BD-J side, then go for it....

As an owner of the BDP-S1, I am very unhappy.... I have a $1000 buck player that was released by Sony knowing that the player had a shelf of only 6 months....

I would wait..... If the press releases are correct, you will be able to by a fully capable Bluray player for 400 or 500 bucks by this Summer....

Why waste the dollars now for a crippled player later?

Lego
Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Even at this bargain price, I wouldn't go for it. The Samsung is an unimpressive player. You'd be better served spending a little more on a different player.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Not sure if you are still looking at this, but I have been quite happy with my BD-P1000 (paid $380). Yes, there are better players out there, but for $250 you will have a player that has PQ that is nearly as good as the other G1 players out there. Yes, the player may not be fully BD-J compliant, but are you somebody who really cares about that, or do you want to mostly watch high definition BR movies and take advantage of PCM lossless tracks.

My philosohy on buying this player is that it will be my primary BR player for 12-18 months, and then I will buy a G3 or higher player when they work out all the kinks and this player will be moved to my bedroom.

If you buy it, make sure you apply the latest firmware update first thing. Checkout this article. I think it is spot on (minus the fact that the price is no longer $900 for the Sammy):

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-...c-players.html
Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 AM

Hell, if you aren't gonna take it, let me know which Circuit City it is cuz if it's anywhere within 100 miles of me I'll take it. Yes, the new players are gonna make this one fairly obsolete. But all we're talking about is really the extra features. For someone like me who's mainly only interested in the movie itself, I couldn't give a rip. Also, although I have my PS3 for the family room, I still have the entertainment room (which currently only has the 360) and my bedrooms to fill. So for $250, hell ya I could put that in my bedroom.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Westwest View Post
I have a chance to get a Samsung BD-P1000 for less that $250.00 dollars and though I'm a HD DVD supporter the price is tempting. The reviews I have seen in many sites are less than stellar to say the least. It will be obsolete when or if BD-J is finally implemented but still the price is hard to turn down. This unit is a Circuit City open box display unit. Any one here have this model?. Should I go format neutral?
One things for sure the 1st gen Sammy is a beautiful piece of hardware. For $250, it's worth the jump, even though the 2nd gen Sammy is due next month. But it isn't as attractive a model. You can always upgrade to a BD-Java at a later date. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing a lot of reseach and decided that if I will rather wait for the BD-P1200 or the new Sony model. If they lists for $599.00 they should be in the $499.00 range at Amazon pretty fast.

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Westwest View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have been doing a lot of reseach and decided that if I will rather wait for the BD-P1200 or the new Sony model. If they lists for $599.00 they should be in the $499.00 range at Amazon pretty fast.

Thanks again.
Ok, so can you please tell me where that CC is? I'm gonna go pick it up if it's anywhere near me.