Blu-ray MIA at LG 2007 dealers show - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Blu-ray MIA at LG 2007 dealers show

Quote:
Blu-ray's hardware woes appeared to continue yesterday at LG's annual dealers show in Orlando, Florida, where a previously announced Blu-ray player for 2007 was nowhere to be found.

Addressing questions about the lack of Blu-ray products at the show, LG product development director Tim Alessi had this to say:

"We have heard and read about a lot of delays [of Blu-ray product releases]," he said. "We recognize the huge opportunity but we will provide an announcement when the time is right."
More here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...alers_Show/337

Last edited by jorge; 11-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 PM

It seems as if something is going on behind the lines with everybody. From what I can see is that everybody is using Samsung as the test unit. Completly seeing what needs to be touched up and tweaked so when they do launch, their units are 100%.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 PM

Forget learning from your mistakes...learn from someone else's.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 AM

Or it's entirely possible that those persistent rumors of their multi-format player and/or BD and HD DVD decks are coming true. CES will be very interesting next year. I can't wait.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
CES will be very interesting next year. I can't wait.
Me neither! Surely somebody must be working on a universal player - the components are out there!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 AM

I think Sony took all of their diodes for the ps3.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
Or it's entirely possible that those persistent rumors of their multi-format player and/or BD and HD DVD decks are coming true. CES will be very interesting next year. I can't wait.
Doesn't appear so...

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/dvdpvr/0,390...9284932,00.htm

LG BD100: Darren Campbell unveils LG's Blu-ray player

Quote:
Today marked the unveiling of LG's Blu-ray player -- the BD100. Sparing no expense, the guys at LG marked the rollout by inviting Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter Darren Campbell, who was only too happy to lend a hand.

The BD100 is a full 1080p model featuring an HDCP-compliant HDMI port, as well as component, composite and coaxial for good measure. You get 5.1 audio and digital optical S/PDIF as standard, plus video upscaling -- it'll morph 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i to 1080p. Playback compatibility is fairly good, too -- it'll read Blu-ray discs, DVD+R and DVD-R discs, DVD-RAM, and MP3 and WMA audio CDs.

LG wouldn't tell us how much it cost, save to say the BD100 will be "competitively priced" when it's released in "early 2007". HD-lovers should also check for the LG 47LB2RF, a 47-inch 1080p HD Ready television that LG reckons will give a 200 per cent clearer picture than you're used to.

We asked Darren Campbell what he thought of LG's Blu-ray offering and he reckoned he was "astounded" by the image quality, although he replied in the negative when we asked if he'd swap a kidney for one. He also declined the offer of swapping his gold medal (and little finger) for LG's 71-inch MW-71PY10 plasma.

We'll have full reviews of the BD100 and its associated tellies as soon as we get them from LG. -RR
Yet another Blu-ray player to look forward too...wooot!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Blu-ray: 1 HD-DVD: 1

All the delays in Blu-ray players in the marketplace should not make anyone despair. It might be that the other companies are adjusting their product by what they learned from the SAMSUNG launch. I'm happy with mine. Regardless, the only HD-DVD player is the TOSHIBA. Why aren't other electronics companies building HD-DVD players? Perhaps that universal player is closer than we think.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggani View Post
All the delays in Blu-ray players in the marketplace should not make anyone despair. It might be that the other companies are adjusting their product by what they learned from the SAMSUNG launch. I'm happy with mine. Regardless, the only HD-DVD player is the TOSHIBA. Why aren't other electronics companies building HD-DVD players? Perhaps that universal player is closer than we think.
I'm confused, you have posted Blu-ray: 1 , HD DVD: 1. What is that referring too? Just curious, because if it is the number of available standalone players, it is more like Blu-ray 3 (Samsung, Panasonic, Philips), HD DVD 2 (Toshiba and RCA aka Toshiba rebadged). But, if that's not what you meant, please clarify.

I'm of the personal opinion that it is too early in the game for dual format players to be a viable option for CE companies.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
Yet another Blu-ray player to look forward too...wooot!
Really? LG isn't exactly a brand known for its quality high-end electronics. Neither is Samsung for that matter. More like cheap DVD players and refrigerators.

When Sony and Pioneer both have their players actually out in the marketplace, then it gets more interesting, IMO.