Looking for some suggestions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Looking for some suggestions

The guys in another section of the forums recommended I come here...so here it goes.

I currently have $2500 to spend on an entertainment system. I'm getting a great deal on a 50" Panasonic 1080, but I still have $1200 or so to play with on the rest. Due to the room setup, I can't go with a traditional surround sound setup, so after looking at all the possibilities (Surroundbars, etc.), I'm leaning towards getting the Bose Cinemate. In addition I planned to get the Bose HDMI Switcher and a Blu-Ray Player.

So, my question to you guys is simply if you think I'm doing the best possible job at optimizing the money I'm spending. (Worth noting, I live in an apt. building, so I can't go too crazy.)

Also, I'm torn on the Blu-Ray player I should buy. The new Panasonic BD-50 looks great, but the position I'm in is forcing me to spend the $2500 now, so I can't wait for it. What I can do is buy a different player and move it into the bedroom when I want to replace it months from now. Would you guys suggest going with the Panasonic BD-30 for now? Or does the PS3 still make the most sense (At Best Buy I was told that the PS3 does not upscale DVD's like standalone players do).

Thanks for the help guys -- any feedback would be greatly helpful.

Edit: typo
Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad264 View Post
The guys in another section of the forums recommended I come here...so here it goes.

I currently have $2500 to spend on an entertainment system. I'm getting a great deal on a 50" Panasonic 1080, but I still have $1200 or so to play with on the rest. Due to the room setup, I can't go with a traditional surround sound setup, so after looking at all the possibilities (Surroundbars, etc.), I'm leaning towards getting the Bose Cinemate. In addition I planned to get the Bose HDMI Switcher and a Blu-Ray Player.

So, my question to you guys is simply if you think I'm doing the best possible job at optimizing the money I'm spending. (Worth noting, I live in an apt. building, so I can't go too crazy.)

Also, I'm torn on the Blu-Ray player I should buy. The new Panasonic BD-50 looks great, but the position I'm in is forcing me to spend the $2500 now, so I can't wait for it. What I can do is buy a different player and move it into the bedroom when I want to replace it months from now. Would you guys suggest going with the Panasonic BD-30 for now? Or does the PS3 still make the most sense (At Best Buy I was told that the PS3 does not upscale DVD's like standalone players do).

Thanks for the help guys -- any feedback would be greatly helpful.

Edit: typo
#1 Anyone here will tell you is don't buy bose. You pay to much for what you get with those guys.

#2 Everyone has room to setup a 5.1 system. I have 5.1 setup in my sisters 8'x10' room with shit all over the place in it. give some room dimensions and we can definatly get you into a proper system at your budget.

#3 if you need a BD player NOW the 30 is the best for anyone with an HDMI 1.3 compatable receiver and the PS3 is good for almost anyone else. You were fed incorrect info at Best Buy (shocking i know) the PS3 DOES indeed upscale SD DVD's.

So give us some room dimensions and reasons you are thinking a proper 5.1 wont work and we will find ways around it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
#1 Anyone here will tell you is don't buy bose. You pay to much for what you get with those guys.

#2 Everyone has room to setup a 5.1 system. I have 5.1 setup in my sisters 8'x10' room with shit all over the place in it. give some room dimensions and we can definatly get you into a proper system at your budget.

#3 if you need a BD player NOW the 30 is the best for anyone with an HDMI 1.3 compatable receiver and the PS3 is good for almost anyone else. You were fed incorrect info at Best Buy (shocking i know) the PS3 DOES indeed upscale SD DVD's.

So give us some room dimensions and reasons you are thinking a proper 5.1 wont work and we will find ways around it.
Well, the problem with the room is that it opens into the kitchen arena. My father's friend works as a home entertainment system installer and I had him come over. After seeing the room and surveying my budget, he suggested I go with the Polk Surroundbar or the Bose 3-2-1.

Last night I went to some electronic stores to listen and I was far more impressed with the Bose sound then I was with the various surroundbars. I also discovered that I could get the Cinemate instead of the 3-2-1, so I could avoid getting a DVD player -- my thought was I could just use my TV as the switchboard.

As for the Blu-ray, I think I'm pretty set with the idea of getting a PS3. I can always upgrade later on.

What other systems would work? (The room dimensions escape me now, but it's essentially a long room and the TV/Couch are set up on the short walls. One side is the kitchen and the other side is my balcony door...the room is not very acoustically well off.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM

So anyone have any input? I've gotta get the stuff over the weekend.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 AM

The cinemate systems at my store always get returned. Too expensive for below average sound, and i really hate the Yamhaha YSP-900/800 again over priced for crap, how about wireless rear speakers are you able to get a reciever + 5.1 speakers and a wireless rear kit? Although i am not a fan of wireless rear speakers i think it would still sound better then a 2 speaker soloution.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 AM

Go to a dedicated audio store and ask for the Mirage Nanosats. They're the same size as Bose accoustimass cubes, but cost much less and sound better. They come in a 5.1 set and can are very small, so you can hide the rears almost anywhere.

Definitive Technologies also has some micro speakers that you can get for about $200 each (or less, depending on the model) that sound amazing. Look for ProMonitors 800 or 1000. The guy at an audio store I saw them at called them 'Bose Killers'.

Last edited by pat00139; 03-01-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post

#1 is absolutely correct. I used to be a bose guy myself and then discovered Klipsch. While some say they are bright they have good sound. Anyway, I would go with anything other than Bose. They are overpriced for the sound quality you'd be getting.

#2 Coaler is correct on this also. 5 satellites plus 1 sub should fit in to just about any space. Also, if you can get your hands on an Onkyo 605, 705, or 805 the audyssey eq system on it should help out with you room acoustics. I would choose depending on room size.

#3 The BD30 is the best standalone at the moment, while the PS3 does a decent job plus gaming at a similar price. The choice will depend on whether you want a game console or not and have a newer avr like the Onkyo x05 series.