Dolby True HD and DTS HD question on BD-P1400 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Dolby True HD and DTS HD question on BD-P1400

Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-3802 and am interested in purchasing a Samsung BD-P1400 Blu Ray disc player which can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD audio and has the 5.1 discrete analog outputs. My receiver does not support those two audio codecs but since the player does decode them if I hook it up to the EXT IN on the back of my AVR with the analog outputs will I get Dolby True HD and DTS HD?

Thank you.

Colin
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi Colin,

I am not sure what "EXT IN" stands for but there should be some kind of 6-channel analog inputs on your receiver. Connect your Blu-ray player's audio outputs to your receiver using those inputs. Make sure to set your player's audio output settings to PCM. That tells the player to decode internally and pass the decoded signal to the receiver. If you set it to Bitstream, the receiver will have to do the decoding. Make sure to turn off the dynamic range control as well, you want the full range of the sound.

When you do this, you will be able to decode the following:

PCM
Dolby TrueHD
DTS-HD
DTS-MA (1.5mbps core)
Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

If you have a choice, go with the PCM or TrueHD tracks on your Blu-ray movies. They are both lossless so they will both sound the same. DTS-MA will down sample to a 1.5MB core track, which isn't lossless but will sound better than standard Dolby or DTS.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinwo View Post
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-3802 and am interested in purchasing a Samsung BD-P1400 Blu Ray disc player which can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD audio and has the 5.1 discrete analog outputs. My receiver does not support those two audio codecs but since the player does decode them if I hook it up to the EXT IN on the back of my AVR with the analog outputs will I get Dolby True HD and DTS HD?

Thank you.

Colin
I don't know the Denon line too well, but if the receiver has HDMI inputs, you can output PCM to it from the player via HDMI, and get better results that way. I'm pretty sure the 1400 supports that. If the Denon has no HDMI or simply switches HDMI without pulling data, the comment is irrelevant.

I'm too lazy to lookup your receiver to make an informed comment. ;-)
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM

Here's the back panel of my receiver: homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVR-3802_rear.jpg

I was referring to the top left EXT IN. I assume that's the one it would have to be connected.

I'm an HD DVD owner and my HD-A30 doesn't have analog outputs so I use Bitstream audio via toslink right now. My receiver is set to "Optical" when switching on to the DVD source. I imagine the receiver will then automatically detect that it's not getting audio from optical or do I have to change something?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:14 PM

The 1400 doesn't decode DTS-HD MA internally bud, sorry! You'll only get able to get DD, TrueHD, and DTS 1.5Mbps via internal decoding and sending it out as PCM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinwo View Post
Here's the back panel of my receiver: homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVR-3802_rear.jpg

I was referring to the top left EXT IN. I assume that's the one it would have to be connected.

I'm an HD DVD owner and my HD-A30 doesn't have analog outputs so I use Bitstream audio via toslink right now. My receiver is set to "Optical" when switching on to the DVD source. I imagine the receiver will then automatically detect that it's not getting audio from optical or do I have to change something?
Yes, you should use the EXT-IN connections on the 3802. These are what other posters are referring to when they mention 6-channel analog audio in on a receiver. Connect the 6-channel outputs from the BD-P1400 to the corresponding inputs in the EXT-IN section on the 3802. Leave the HD-A30 connected as is.

I believe your 3802 will automatically detect the correct audio source from either the A30 or 1400, depending on which one is playing. I had a 3803 a couple of years ago and it did detect the audio source automatically (assuming the receiver is set up correctly). If not, all you need to do is select 6-Channel Audio (or whatever it's called) in the 3802 when you want to watch a BluRay movie.

Finally, make sure you have the correct audio settings in the 1400. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
The 1400 doesn't decode DTS-HD MA internally bud, sorry! You'll only get able to get DD, TrueHD, and DTS 1.5Mbps via internal decoding and sending it out as PCM.
This is correct, it can only bitstream it