Surround Sound Help me please. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Default Surround Sound Help me please.

Ok this might sound stupid but im sorry if this is a stupid question.

What is the diference between all these adudio setups?

like:

Dolby Digital 5.1
PCM 5.1
Original Mono
DTrue HD

I mean when i watch a movie I always choose Dolby Digital 5.1 or (my favorite) DTS 5.1.

I know what surround sound is but what is the major difference between all these choices? Are they all different? Which is the better?

Any help would do?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakemloose69 View Post
Ok this might sound stupid but im sorry if this is a stupid question.

What is the diference between all these adudio setups?

like:

Dolby Digital 5.1
PCM 5.1
Original Mono
DTrue HD

I mean when i watch a movie I always choose Dolby Digital 5.1 or (my favorite) DTS 5.1.

I know what surround sound is but what is the major difference between all these choices? Are they all different? Which is the better?

Any help would do?
Dolby Digital 5.1 was a highly compressed format released to support DVD. The high compression makes the audio less natural sounding, kind of hard, bright and "flat." It's 16 bits of resolution, and usually, though not always, 48,000 samples/sec.

PCM 5.1 typically uses 24-bit data at 48,000 samples/sec, and it has no compression. It sounds significantly clearer than uncompressed CDs.

TrueHD essentially takes PCM and makes a "lossless" compression so it takes less space on the disc, but in theory sounds the same.

DTS-HD MA is the same, but supports resolutions up to 96,000 samples/sec, making it in theory higher quality. I have only a few DTS-HD MA discs, and they are all 24bit/48KHz, so so far I've seen no advantage to PCM or TrueHD.

Mono just means it's an old movie and had no surround sound. The mono can still be encoded using any of the formats listed above.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks for givng me a breakdown on the audio problem.

But What is your best choice when it comes to watching a film in surround sound?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM

That depends on the disc and system. From an audio quality perspective, TrueHD, PCM and DTS-HD MA all seem essentially the same.

I kind of like having the TrueHD and DTS-HD lights pop on my surround processor, but really, they are all great and if your system supports at least PCM, you'll get the benefit.

It's easier to find receivers that support PCM than the other more recent codecs, though the new Onkyo's cover all the bases affordably, and most of the Denon products do to, at a slightly higher cost.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM
HD Video Editor

If you can afford it, I'd go for an Onkyo SR805. It's a 7.1 receiver; it's somewhat future-proof as it has HDMI 1.3 and supports/decodes all the best surround sound formats.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM

i must be doing some thing really wrong. i can not get the dts-hd or dd-hd to show up on my 805 .and i will not watch any blu-rays till i do.

I may need someone to walk me hand and hand through this setup.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatamis View Post
i must be doing some thing really wrong. i can not get the dts-hd or dd-hd to show up on my 805 .and i will not watch any blu-rays till i do.

I may need someone to walk me hand and hand through this setup.
Nobody can help you until you specify what player you use because each has different audio capabilities, and only some can output TrueHD and DTS-HD MA in PCM or bitstream.

In general, all BD players have a setup menu, usually with an audio tab. In the audio tab, you have to set the output to "bitstream" and "HDMI" and then you have to make sure you have disabled audio mixing, which forces PCM to be output (but is required to get PIP and menu-audio).

If you use PCM, you get the same sound, but don't see the "TrueHD" light on the receiver because the audio was decoded to PCM on the player.

Of course, if your player isn't HDMI 1.3, you MUST use PCM. You'll get the same audio quality, it just decodes in the player (assuming your player can decode).