BDP-S350 vs 40gb PS3 ?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Default BDP-S350 vs 40gb PS3 ??

For a movie room ONLY. I'm looking for the better player at $400. I won't use it for gaming but I DO want something bd live and 1.1 compliant.

Which piece of hardware is better and why?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM

Well if you put both of them in the same rack with the rest of your a/v equipment it would be pretty easy to pick out the one that doesn't match.
Assuming that the new player does the movie thing as well as a ps3,then the ps3 doesn't belong.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 AM

Its hard to pick against a PS3 since it can do Blu-ray and MORE...But if you have zero interest in games then its hard to pick for the PS3. But too think about the Playstation Network; with the PSN you can download trailers for other Blu-ray titles present and future if you wish. And you know the PS3 will always get updates when necessary, and probably sooner than SA players.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMattyP View Post
For a movie room ONLY. I'm looking for the better player at $400. I won't use it for gaming but I DO want something bd live and 1.1 compliant.

Which piece of hardware is better and why?
Well I have a PS3 (about a month now) and I use it for purely (ok maybe 95%) for BD and SDVD movies and I have NO complaints. I have it plugged into my 32inch HDtv and the 7.1 sound system on my PC and its great.

Pirates: AWE looked and sounded amazing.

A lot of people will complain the PS3 doesn't have certain high def sound support or 7.1 output, but I say who cares? Unless you're sound system can handle that or you're really bothered, then it makes no difference.

Plus I don't personally understand all the sound formats anyway, and yet I think these films sound amazing on my rig! Also Sony is continually updating the PS3 with firmware and its likely they will add these sound formats and 7.1 support anyway.

I also think the PS3 is a very attractive machine, and far nicer looking then any of these more expensive stand alone machines. It also loads BD films VERY fast (faster then most stand alone players) and (if you ever needed it) it does play PS3 games, store and display photos, music and video formats.

Not to also mention its very quiet!

Its a very functional device, which does more then just play games and it doesnt look out of place in the living room (unlike other white MS boxes which look like toys).

And its cheaper!

Thats just my opinion, and Im not an audio or video expert and I dont know the exact comparison of specs. But I think the PS3 (40GB) is worth it for the cost.

The only real difference I see, is that the stand alone BD player looks like a DVD player and may fit better in your living room next to your TV and your sky box and what ever else.

But... the PS3 is an attractive beast IMO and it will get constant support from Sony before any other BD players for updates.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekedoutfish View Post

I also think the PS3 is a very attractive machine, and far nicer looking then any of these more expensive stand alone machines. It also loads BD films VERY fast (faster then most stand alone players) and (if you ever needed it) it does play PS3 games, store and display photos, music and video formats.

Not to also mention its very quiet!
Man, I wish I had a quiet PS3. My biggest gripe with it is the fan noise. Some say they don't notice theirs, but when mine kicks into high gear it is annoying. I go back and forth raising the volume during dialog, and then "oh crap, explosions...turn it down." And the fan noise does not kick in that often, I found it only does when playing regular DVDs, but it's still annoying.

But I do love the fast loading and response times, and I love the power & eject sensor botton on it.

But I'd still have to say, I would prefer the stand alone. If after a few months, there aren't any real issues with the new players, I will probably sell the PS3 and make the switch.

As of right now, though, I own the PS3 because it seems the best way to go...for now.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM

The PS3 is a full on media center where you can store your music, videos, DIVX files, and photos as well as browse the internet all on your TV. It is an amazing machine and its hard drive is very easy to replace with something larger and better. It is also faster and has the fewest glitches of any BD player on the market.

The only drawback to the PS3 is its inability to bitstream the new audio codecs, which is a bummer to those with that ability (including myself). I will likely keep the PS3 for its many abilities and buy a new player sometime this year that is capable of passing the new audio codecs.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 PM

Get the panasonic BD30. Much better than the PS3 and probably much better than the S350.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 AM

PS3, even if you have no interest in gaming, is still the better buy.

Why?

Full Blu-ray Profile 2.0 support
SACD support (not 40GB mode)
Network Media streaming
Web Browser
Card slots, photo slideshows
HDD for storing music, movies, photos.

This is what the PS3 has now, it's feature set is contantly expanding.

Whilst it may not look pretty in your AV rack, neither does my SkyHD box....
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrose View Post
Man, I wish I had a quiet PS3. My biggest gripe with it is the fan noise. Some say they don't notice theirs, but when mine kicks into high gear it is annoying.
Is it the 40gb version? or maybe it's on a non-flat surface and the machine is rocking?

I just find it hard to understand how you're machine can make that much noise that it disrupts watching films. Mine is so unbelievably quiet, maybe you have a dodgey machine (not wanting to worry you)!

Although in saying that, I havent watched any standard DVDs on mine yet. Its been all BD films... maybe I should try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgillespie View Post
PS3, even if you have no interest in gaming, is still the better buy.

Why?

Full Blu-ray Profile 2.0 support
SACD support (not 40GB mode)
Network Media streaming
Web Browser
Card slots, photo slideshows
HDD for storing music, movies, photos.

This is what the PS3 has now, it's feature set is contantly expanding.

Whilst it may not look pretty in your AV rack, neither does my SkyHD box....
Actually my 40GB doesnt have card slots either and it has to be said that the web browsing on the PS3 isnt the most user friendly interface evr. Also SACD support isn't really a huge selling point for most casual shoppers because they don't know its existed or what it is.

I didnt know it existed until someone mentioned it a few months ago in a forum and I researched it on wiki, and im not technology clueless!

SACD is a niche market and it would take a lot to persuade your casual shopper to spend a fortune on a SACD audio track or CD when CDs are far cheaper or downloading music is free on mp3. I know I can't afford to run out and buy SACDs when I can get them free online (but you could use the same arguement for films too).

Sound is a lot harder to distinguise and say "hey that sounds soo much better" compared to video quality. Video quality you see an instant difference with any cheap HDtv. Audio you need an expensive sound system to even tell between normal MP3, CD or SACD.

But that doesnt mean SACD support is a cool thing for the PS3, if you can afford it and have them to play!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM

I would prefer a 2.0 SA for main movie watching, but you just can't ignore the extra features of the PS3 at the same or lower price. There may be enough people interested in a "movie only, please" machine but then you look at the price ...

In a lot of ways the PS3 is a solution to a problem I don't have, but that may not be the case for others.

If you have just one, the PS3 is probably your best choice for value, although in an almost-perfect world it would be my "other player."