PS3 - Optical Audio Issues - help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Cool PS3 - Optical Audio Issues - help!

Hello,

Has anyone else had issues with audio transfer from the PS3 to their receiver? I have a HK AVR 247.

Long story short, when I use the optical audio output, the 'boop' or 'click' SFX on the menu screen don't output. Also, playing games, it sounds like a channel or 2 are missing (namely the voice/walking through grass, etc - possibly center channel?) in most of my games.

I've set it to Optical and checked all the boxes (DD, DTS, etc) in the audio output settings.

NOTE: It works just fine with HDMI but I need that port to output video in 1080p

Any and all suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 PM

might have something to do with being set to lpcm. when you changed to optical, did you change it from lpcm to bitstream? some are having issues and getting 2 ch sound because of it. double check sound settings too. make sure you only check what your receiver can handle.
if i may make a suggestion: this is how i have mine
i use hdmi for true hd and hd to the reciever and then to tv.
for non surround component and analog to tv.
changing settings isnt that big a deal and you can get a pretty good hd pic from component cables too. this way you wont have to sacrifice sound quality.
i like it this way for the flexibility and sometimes i need to keep things at a lower level
Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 AM

Optical will only output in 2 channel if you are set to PCM output on your PS3. Uncompressed tracks LPCM, DTHD, DTSHD etc. will only be properly passed over HDMI in 5.1 or above. Optical will work just fine for DD or DTS compressed tracks.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Interesting...

I messed around last night a bit more and did set it to Bitstream. Seemed to clean up a little bit of the audio in the games (after I set the l/r and center db levels higher) but still no-go on the menu 'clicks'.

Tried the HDMI again and it's perfect. I think I'm going to buy a powered HDMI splitter from Monoprice and just output clean to avoid any more frustration with the optical.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavest View Post
Hello,

Has anyone else had issues with audio transfer from the PS3 to their receiver? I have a HK AVR 247.

Long story short, when I use the optical audio output, the 'boop' or 'click' SFX on the menu screen don't output. Also, playing games, it sounds like a channel or 2 are missing (namely the voice/walking through grass, etc - possibly center channel?) in most of my games.

I've set it to Optical and checked all the boxes (DD, DTS, etc) in the audio output settings.

NOTE: It works just fine with HDMI but I need that port to output video in 1080p

Thanks
I have my PS3 plugged into my PCs sound card via optical audio out > in and it worked perfectly the instant I plugged it in. This is then played through my 7.1 creative sound system and I get sound from all channels.

I had to change the sound used on the film itself, but other then that, mine worked!

I would expect the only issue is whether the film is using the correct sound format, or whether your reciever can handle the sound being given to it.

Also from what I understand the PS3 doesnt do 7.1 at this moment, so if your sound system is 7.1 then that might explain why your not gettign sound from all channels.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavest View Post
Hello,

Thanks
I used to have this on my old amp. It's to do with the optical input turning off when there's no signal and on older amps it would take a fraction of a second to start again.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlum View Post
I used to have this on my old amp. It's to do with the optical input turning off when there's no signal and on older amps it would take a fraction of a second to start again.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, thank you! I was looking for an actual 'explanation' to put this stupid issue to rest already. I called HK and they said this is more than likely it. I'm gonna get away from the Optical altogether and hook up the HDMI switch/splitter tonight.

Thank you!!