Took the plunge!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Took the plunge!!

Ok, I did it!! I am selling all of my HD DVD's on eBay right now, plus my A2. It pains me to do it right now because I am afraid they won't produce my favorite titles for some time if ever. Top Gun, Knocked Up, The Kingdom, Seabiscuit, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, The Break-up and 40-year old Virgin have to be produce or I am going to be a little sad.

I bought a 40GB PS3 because I think it my be the most future proof!! What are the chances those titles will be produced on BR? Also, did I make the right decision on my PS3?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Congrats. I sold 78 HD DVD titles in 3 days on Amazon last week. The PS3 is a fine player. I'll be buying the Panasonic BD50 when in comes out in spring/summer as it will decode all audio formats and be 2.0 compliant.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan View Post
Ok, I did it!! I am selling all of my HD DVD's on eBay right now, plus my A2. It pains me to do it right now because I am afraid they won't produce my favorite titles for some time if ever. Top Gun, Knocked Up, The Kingdom, Seabiscuit, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, The Break-up and 40-year old Virgin have to be produce or I am going to be a little sad.

I bought a 40GB PS3 because I think it my be the most future proof!! What are the chances those titles will be produced on BR? Also, did I make the right decision on my PS3?
What are the chances that those titles will also be made available in BR? I believe Universal makes all of them, except Top Gun.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:10 PM

I'd say 100%, but it will take time. It could be 2 years before they are all available on Blu but they'll get there eventually.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan View Post
What are the chances that those titles will also be made available in BR? I believe Universal makes all of them, except Top Gun.
The more recent, popular day & date releases - Knocked Up, The Kingdom, & 40-year old Virgin should make it out on Blu within a year, and Top Gun was a popular catalog release. But I would expect the poorer selling catalog titles - Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, The Break-up may never see the light of Blu. Universal will certainly use their HD DVD sales data to prioritize their BD release schedule.

I dunno, to each their own. I see no point in selling my HD DVDs at half price or less and doing without those movies in high-def while I hope & pray they re-emerge on BD so I can re-buy them at full price. I've had a BD player since last year, but I'm keeping each & every one of my HD DVDs and plan on enjoying them for years to come. Actually, I've picked up several more HD DVDs recently as people bail and dump theirs at bargain prices.

But, as I said - to each their own; not intended as criticism.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:41 PM

I guess the reason I am selling all my HD DVD's is because as a movie watcher, I would definitely call myself a novice. I will probably only watch movies a few times a year. I watch all the sports movies such as Remember The Titans (BR), Hoosiers (BR)and We Are Marshall many times over and over. I love all those movies, but I figured I would sell everything now on eBay since that is how I bought them. The funny thing is I paid about $10-12 for each movie and they all are selling for about $15-18. If BR would just release Miracle, my sports collection would be complete. We'll see!!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Well, now you can get all those sports movies when you switch to Blu. It seems like Disney makes 90% of all feel-good sports movies. You can add the three you mentioned plus The Rookie (out soon), Invincible, and Glory Road.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I just bought Invincible, We Are Marshall and Glory Road. Next up Remember the Titans, Hoosiers and Gridiron Gang. I need Miracle!! Come on Disney!!