1.1 or 2.0 player without audio decoding? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

Default 1.1 or 2.0 player without audio decoding?

I keep reading about all the new players coming out that will support all the new audio formats through bitstream and an internal decoder. I was wondering if anyone has a 1.1 or 2.0 player coming out that does not have analog outputs or decode anything and just has bitstream output?

I would love to have a player like the bd30 or 50 for $100 less that does not do any decoding and just let my receiver decode all the audio.

My guess is that its too soon for a player like this to have any kind of mass market appeal but I just hate having to pay extra for features that I will never use.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
I keep reading about all the new players coming out that will support all the new audio formats through bitstream and an internal decoder. I was wondering if anyone has a 1.1 or 2.0 player coming out that does not have analog outputs or decode anything and just has bitstream output?

I would love to have a player like the bd30 or 50 for $100 less that does not do any decoding and just let my receiver decode all the audio.

My guess is that its too soon for a player like this to have any kind of mass market appeal but I just hate having to pay extra for features that I will never use.
Actually, a Blu-ray transport ends up being more expensive. Check out the Denons for more info. I believe that is what your looking for sans the price.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
analog/digital audio expert

It is one of the great reverse-logic scenarios of our time, the "transport" function you mention seems restricted to the highest-end players. In other words, those that do less cost more. Ostensibly because through some magic I don't understand, the "bits" on a $200 Denon are supposed to be better than those on a $350 panasonic.

Go figure that out.

Doh!