Panny BD-30, Pioneer vs. Reon for upconvert - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Question Panny BD-30, Pioneer vs. Reon for upconvert

Hi all,

Since we finally have an end to the war I will be replacing my A2 with something in the next 6-12 months.

As with most people, I have a significant SD collection that will mostly never get replaced and needs to look as good as possible.

What is the upconvert in the Panasonic BD-30 like compared to Reon chip based upconvert?

Also, what does Pioneer use for it's upconvert?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post
Hi all,

Since we finally have an end to the war I will be replacing my A2 with something in the next 6-12 months.

As with most people, I have a significant SD collection that will mostly never get replaced and needs to look as good as possible.

What is the upconvert in the Panasonic BD-30 like compared to Reon chip based upconvert?

Also, what does Pioneer use for it's upconvert?

Thanks,

Rick
The Panny isn't really that good for upconversion. However, that being said, if you want master quality video from your Blu-ray discs, then the Panny BD30 and BD50 are really the only way to go.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
The Panny isn't really that good for upconversion. However, that being said, if you want master quality video from your Blu-ray discs, then the Panny BD30 and BD50 are really the only way to go.
Thanks for the feedback.

So what you're saying is, if I want:
- Reon quality upconvert, and
- master quality video from Blu-ray, and
- to spend < $500 (hopefully quite a bit less), and
- a device that will work with a Logitech remote, then

there could still be 12 - 18 months of waiting

Is the Sammy 1200 with the latest firmware anywhere close on the Blu-ray quality (I know it has the Reon)?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

So what you're saying is, if I want:
- Reon quality upconvert, and
- master quality video from Blu-ray, and
- to spend < $500 (hopefully quite a bit less), and
- a device that will work with a Logitech remote, then

there could still be 12 - 18 months of waiting

Is the Sammy 1200 with the latest firmware anywhere close on the Blu-ray quality (I know it has the Reon)?
Sadly, yes. The upconversion really isn't that bad, but it isn't reon quality. I still use my Oppo for upconversion for SD playback. If you don't want a PS3, the only really good options out there are the BD30 (1.1) and the BD50 (2.0), pending release of course. I wouldn't snub the Panny's that quick though since they are excellent, stable and except for the LFE issue which should be fixed next week has been absolutely flawless.

As for Samsung, check out some of the threads here and at AVS, you'll find their customer service leaves a bit to be desired and their FW updates are usually slow to show up.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Sadly, yes. The upconversion really isn't that bad, but it isn't reon quality. I still use my Oppo for upconversion for SD playback. If you don't want a PS3, the only really good options out there are the BD30 (1.1) and the BD50 (2.0), pending release of course. I wouldn't snub the Panny's that quick though since they are excellent, stable and except for the LFE issue which should be fixed next week has been absolutely flawless.

As for Samsung, check out some of the threads here and at AVS, you'll find their customer service leaves a bit to be desired and their FW updates are usually slow to show up.
It will be interesting to see the Blu-ray player from Oppo.

I have nothing in general against Panny (both of my TVs are Pannies) but I have limited space so I only want one player so it will have to have great upconvert as well as great Blu-ray. For now it's an A2 on the main TV and A3 in the gym; it will be some kind of Blu-ray for the main and then the A2 to the gym (A2 has better audio over optical then A3).

Also, 1.0 is fine as neither PIP or internet features hold any value to me.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see the Blu-ray player from Oppo.

I have nothing in general against Panny (both of my TVs are Pannies) but I have limited space so I only want one player so it will have to have great upconvert as well as great Blu-ray. For now it's an A2 on the main TV and A3 in the gym; it will be some kind of Blu-ray for the main and then the A2 to the gym (A2 has better audio over optical then A3).

Also, 1.0 is fine as neither PIP or internet features hold any value to me.
Once Oppo has a player out; I will jump on those. The quality of their DVD players is second to none. I just hope they keep it up with Blu-ray.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
analog/digital audio expert

There is a different approach, as well. Keep your SD DVD player, and upgrade your receiver/processor to one with a Reon chip. This can then upconvert your cable/sat, vcr if you still have one, etc. All you need for great results is a DVI/HDMI output on the DVD and cable box.

This way, ALL your sources are upscaled using Reon.

I did this in my system, setting my cable box to output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i so the output is not being scaled by the crappy chip in the cable box. This feeds the Integra's Reon, which scales everything, making even crappy 480i cable source more tolerable. And it really rocks when 720p or 1080i content comes out of the cable.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
There is a different approach, as well. Keep your SD DVD player, and upgrade your receiver/processor to one with a Reon chip. This can then upconvert your cable/sat, vcr if you still have one, etc. All you need for great results is a DVI/HDMI output on the DVD and cable box.

This way, ALL your sources are upscaled using Reon.

I did this in my system, setting my cable box to output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i so the output is not being scaled by the crappy chip in the cable box. This feeds the Integra's Reon, which scales everything, making even crappy 480i cable source more tolerable. And it really rocks when 720p or 1080i content comes out of the cable.
Thanks for the input.

But can a Blu-ray player be setup the way you have your cable box (ie. sending our SD DVDs in SD and Blu-rays in HD)?

I really only have room for one disc player (and wife tolerance for how many buttons to push...).
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:

I have to agree with the Panny BD30, the PQ on SD-DVD's is not that great when compared to my A3 and A30. But the PQ on Blu even outperforms the PS3 imo and is a well built machine.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

But can a Blu-ray player be setup the way you have your cable box (ie. sending our SD DVDs in SD and Blu-rays in HD)?

I really only have room for one disc player (and wife tolerance for how many buttons to push...).
I don't know, to be honest. You'd have to get input from people who have the players. I know my XA2 only supports one output mode at a time, and you have to enter setup to change it. I'd suspect the other disc players are similar. That said, a lot of basic SD players are pretty small these days.

If you have that severe a constraint, this idea may not help.