Best Blu Ray player from a picture quality standpoint - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Best Blu Ray player from a picture quality standpoint

Guys, I walked into a Best Buy today and was floored by the Blu-Ray demo that was playing that showed clips of Pirates, Lost and a few other movies. I own a PS3 and I am not getting images that crisp. Is the PS3 really the best Blu-Ray player from a picture quality standpoint? Do things like the below actually make any difference or is it just marketing hype? (taken from a Panasonic BD-30 specification sheet).

Images So Real, You Feel Like You're in the Picture
Combining a PHL Reference Chroma Processor with advanced P4HD (Pixel Precision Progressive Processing) imaging technology, UniPhier® — the Precise Digital Video processor — reproduces crisp, natural colors that are extremely faithful to the original movie. It does this by up-sampling the color information in decoded video signals, while the super high-speed P4HD up-converts content recorded in 480i/p, 720p or 1080i format to 1080p by correctly generating each pixel according to information drawn from up to 60 surrounding pixels. The image motion of each pixel is then categorized into one of 16 levels, from stationary to super fast. Image quality is further enhanced by Diagonal Processing, which creates smooth, sharp diagonal lines, and 3:2 Pull-Down, which optimizes the processing accordingly for film or video making the images look natural and lifelike. In addition, the DMP-BD30's HDMI output is Deep Color compatible, with 4,096 steps of gradation for even smoother, finer-quality images that meet Hollywood's stringent demands, so you can experience movies just the way they were meant to be experienced.

I figure it has to either be the PS3, or my TV, but my TV is pretty recent. The Best Buy was playing on a Sony 40 inch LCD. My system is a 65 inch Mitshubishi DLP. Now it could be the size difference that is the problem since obviously a bigger display will spread the pixels out further, otherwise, I am not sure what the problem is. I am interested in the new Panasonic that is coming out that supports Profile 2.0 in the spring if it will improve my picture quality that dramatically.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM

I posted an article long ago where a few professional magazine writers and tech people were invited to a demo by Panasonic that showed an improved picture by the Panasonic unit. Of course half the people on here freaked out and called bs. This remains a highly volatile topic around these parts.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM

I should have mentioned that I am using HDMI as my connection. Believe me, it was a night and day difference. I wasn't even really looking at the display, just walking buy and pretty much forgot was I was doing and just watched it for 15 minutes. I am thinking about renting the Lost Season 3 DVD to see what it looks like on my setup.

I would tend to think that a dedicated player would be better because it is only built to do one thing, and do it well (well, maybe not "well" in the case of some of the Samsung's I guess).

If the difference is due to my DLP set vs. an LCD set, well I may have to be extra good this year to convince the wife to get another TV.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 PM

in all honesty there are so many factors that affect pq. I would say that the tv is the most important obviously. A better set i.e. NOT lcd--will give you a much better picture than any different player imo.
RPTV, crt, and plasma are all far superior to lcd imo as far as watching movies. other uses may favor lcd. but I am concerned first and foremost with watching movies.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM

I have a dlp in the living room and a lcd in my game room both output in 1080i when I watch a hd dvd on both the picture looks better to me on the lcd then the dlp. I guess its all opinion.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM

The best Blu player is probabally the pioneer elite hands down IMHO
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 PM

it was probably an XBR4 with the motionflow on, that gives everything a really 3D, realistic look

i work at Circuit City and have had several people get mad at me because their 1080p sets dont look as good as the XBR4 or LNT71
Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM

True, it is the TV. I can tell you that the Sony BDPS300 has considerably worse picture quality than the BDPS500 even. The Sony XBR4 series is amazing and produces an incredible 1080p image. Go to the other side of the Best Buy and look at the Samsung LNT4071 playing a demo disc. That is an even better image.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipsnapsappy View Post
True, it is the TV. I can tell you that the Sony BDPS300 has considerably worse picture quality than the BDPS500 even. The Sony XBR4 series is amazing and produces an incredible 1080p image. Go to the other side of the Best Buy and look at the Samsung LNT4071 playing a demo disc. That is an even better image.
i disagree, i prefer the XBR4 but we are all inclined to our own opinion
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Thanks guys. I am sure it was probably the best Sony had to offer as far as the display went given that they were trying to move their product and promote Blu-Ray. I am not sure what TV it was exactly, but Best Buy was selling it for $1999 and it was a 40 inch LCD. I have to say that it was impressive. Maybe I can convince the wife to get one for the bedroom.