Okay Hit Me With An Answer Here - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Okay Hit Me With An Answer Here

In a few months I intend on getting rid of my BD-UP5000 (That's right, with this war over, I'm eventually gonna go back from purple to just blu again) and getting 2 Blu-Ray players. One for me and one for my dad since we are both Hi-Definition fans. Thing is I want this to be as little from firmware necessity and as up there as far as technological advances for a decent price.

All signs and posts I've read so far point to the new upcoming Aquos (Not the BH20) or the BD-50 from panny. What do yall think? Let me know what your suggestion. I dont mind waiting for the BD-50 if that's your suggestion. By then I would achieve my goal of saving about 1500 dollars for the two. I can wait, just let me know your suggestions and why.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Well, honestly, if you want to really make sure your players will be safe and bug-free, wait for the 2nd-gen BD-Live players. With the Panny DMP50 and the Sharp player, there will inevitably be some small blips when it comes to the ethernet connection.

If I'd have to pick now, I'd say get the Sharp player. Panny has had problems with LFE in their first two players, and the first Sharp player seemed pretty solid.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Blu-ray players have Java and BD+. You are always going to need the occasional firmware updates. There just isn't anyway around that unless you do not purchase new titles.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 PM

I dont know why more people dont look at the Pioneer Elite BDP95-HD i have the 94 with latest FW updates and it has worked flawlessly since day one. It has played every title i have purchased no problems. My only issue with it is that it takes about 90 seconds to power up. It is a bit pricey but i love the pic and sound. Give it a look if you can. It is IMO also the best looking of any BD player.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Your other option is a PS3...then you dont have to worry about being behind on firmware cuz you can update it
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Yeah my signature says I have a PS3 and that's all I have left cuz I finally got rid of my BD-UP5000. There are a few options I'm thinking of getting though for a new standalone BD-Player. My number one right now for me personally is the Samsung BD-P1500 that's coming out in June. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna get my dad the Sharp BD-HP50U when it comes out in May because I owe him a good birthday present for not getting him one last year. I just dont like the prospect of him using my Blu-rays to watch cuz he doesn't treat discs very well. And his cheap ass will not buy any cuz he knows I have such a vast collection. It's preferred for him because he has a 52 inch Aquos flat panel LCD HDTV in his living room witha Hardon Korman 5.1 channel setup which is pretty damn good being as old as it is. He'll probably love the "Quick Start" feature they are bragging about for this new 2nd gen high-def machine.

But I'm talkin about me. What do you all think? Should I get the Panasonic BD-50 or just get the Samsung BD-P1500? I dont care about waiting time. I dont really trust anything Sony. They'll probably make a player that takes like 15 whole minutes to start up and read a BD disc. Sheesh, you would think they solved that with the BDP-S500 when it came out but it didn't. Playback is great but startup is freakin ridiculous and still they make a damn catch with the 350. I mean there's a catch to it and not that it is quite a catch, okay? It's ridiculous how sony does that so with me it's either the Panny or the upcoming Samsung.

Pros: Samsung's price is cheaper. Panny has BD 2.0
Cons: Samsung's wait time is til June, Panny is more expensive

And I dont care about web interactivity with my blu-rays. So let me know what you all think I should get. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

I dumped the Sammy BD-Up5000...went to the Panny BD DMP-30K..and have never looked back.

A terrific unit.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM

I know but what about the choices I laid out man.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM

The Panasonic DMP-BD50 is looking hard to beat, it is Profile 2.0 and supports every audio format for both internal decoding to PCM and straight bitstreaming. The Samsungs are good (I have the BD-P1400) but the BD50 is looking like a more complete player than the BD-P1500.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM

I have to say go with the Panny. All the BS that Samsung has done to its Blu customers over the last few months is enough for me to say they don't deserve any money for a long time.