Any word on the PS3 getting DTS-MA? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Default Any word on the PS3 getting DTS-MA?

Anyone know if there has been any announcements on when/if this is coming? I keep reading where people say it is coming and some people have said it is never coming. I just want the truth...even if I can't handle it
Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Banned

I sure home it comes out soon though as I will now be watching most of my upcoming movies on blu-ray now!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

I think they've been saying in the March Update, haven't heard anything new though confirming it 100%.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

there is ZERO confirmation as of right now. As far as i am concerned if you are purchasing equipment do NOT purchase it on what some people think it might be capable of because they heard it in rumours. Purchase it based on what it does NOW and anything else is gravy.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Well the thing is that I already have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and an A35 for my HD-DVD and this weekend I bought a Denon AVR-2808CI. So I really won't be able to convince the wife to let me buy a new Blu-Ray player just so that I ccan get DTS-MA. So my only hope is that Sony releases a fix for the PS3.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Is it possible without a hardware modification? I have read "once" that it is not possible with firmware update. (Yes, I took this internet opinion with a grain of salt.) Anyone with some real knowledge know?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM

It will happen.... but when, who knows.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Anyone know if the PS3 is getting DVR?? That would be cool... LOL
Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 PM

I hope soon! To me you have to have the HD video and HD audio to get the true high def experience. Right now I'm not getting the true experience from my PS3 (atleast on my Fox DTS-HD releases). Sometimes I wish I would have bought a stand alone player but I thought for the price it was worth getting the PS3 for gaming as well plus I've been hearing for a year now about a firmware update...hopefully they will have a firmware update soon or I might think of getting a stand alone player to replace my PS3. For now I've just been avoiding BD from Fox opting instead for movies with either Uncompressed PCM or Dolby True HD. Atleast come out with a firmware update to let me send it bitstream to my Onkyo 605 and have it decode DTS-HD. Surely, they could do that...maybe?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
I hope soon! To me you have to have the HD video and HD audio to get the true high def experience. Right now I'm not getting the true experience from my PS3 (atleast on my Fox DTS-HD releases). Sometimes I wish I would have bought a stand alone player but I thought for the price it was worth getting the PS3 for gaming as well plus I've been hearing for a year now about a firmware update...hopefully they will have a firmware update soon or I might think of getting a stand alone player to replace my PS3. For now I've just been avoiding BD from Fox opting instead for movies with either Uncompressed PCM or Dolby True HD. Atleast come out with a firmware update to let me send it bitstream to my Onkyo 605 and have it decode DTS-HD. Surely, they could do that...maybe?
Actually, from what I understand the PS3 will never be able to bitstream the next gen formats because the HDMI transmitter that it has is not capable of that. Again, this is second hand information, I wish it were not true. But it seems that unless Sony decides to add this capability to their hardware and in turn you trade-in or buy one of these theoretical PS3's you will not get the ability to bitstream HD audio from your PS3.

Personally, I am fine with that, even though I have a receiver capable of decoding the HD formats. I would be content if they at least updated the PS3 so it could decode the DTS-MA and send it via PCM.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I Am wrong. Thanks!